MOT madness!

TimC

• Platinum Member

My 2014 JKU went in for a service and MOT Today at the local dealership. I received a call from them saying they were sorry but they couldn’t put it in for the MOT because it would fail. How so, says I, surprised. Because the TPM warning light is on comes the reply, it’s the new MOT rules. I know the TPM light is on says I, I’m going on an off-road trip this weekend so I have the off road wheels and tyres on and they don’t have any sensors in them, the tyre pressures are fine, I just checked them and I just ignore the warning light. We know, they reply, but it’s the rules, if we could disable the TPMS we would and  it would pass, but we can’t. What about common sense though? I say. Sorry, rules is rules.

Anyhow not a huge problem, I can take it back for the MOT when I put the road tyres back on next week, but it’s just another example of a well intentioned change that just hasn’t been fully thought through. At the other end of the scale my CJ7 will be 40 next year by the time of it’s next MOT so  it will be exempt, why is that? Makes no sense! The vehicle is 40 years old, surely checking it is still roadworthy is a good idea!

So anyway, word of warning, if you have a TPMS it must be fully operational, including all sensors. I was also told that if you have a tow hitch it must also have fully operational electrics whether you use them or not ( unless, presumably your vehicle is 40 or more years old, in which case you don’t )

Sometimes, actually quite often, I despair ?

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim, invest in the AEV Pro Cal unit and disable the TPMS yourself and take it through the MOT. Works a treat.

• Platinum Member

Hi Clint, yes I thought about that. I have a Procal but so far never used it as 95% of the time run on 31” tyres with sensors, can never be bothered reprogramming everything for the short period I have the 33” Coopers on. Anyhoo I phoned up said dealer and spoke to the tech, I said: there’s an AEV procal in the back of the Jeep, still in the box with instructions, you can use it to disable the TPMS. However it does say under Disabling TPMS “ This option may be restricted in some areas” so I don’t know if it will work or not, besides if a Jeep service tech can’t disable it with their software it might not be possible. Anyway I got a message back saying it didn’t work, don’t know if that meant he couldn’t be bothered or had tried but didn’t know exactly what he was doing or if it really wasn’t available

Have you actually done a TPMS disable on yours and know it works? I have not tried yet, I might give it a go and see if I can get rid of the yellow light on the dash which I usually just ignore. 

Edited by TimC

• Platinum Member

Oh f***!

I do hope my MoT guy doesn't succumb to rules is rules. My '01 XJ had the ABS pump/controller removed in 2006 and hydraulics replumbed as non-ABS when it gained a Ford rear axle, a high pinion front axle with 30 spline shafts and bigger Warn hubs. It doesn't have an ABS warning lamp in the instrument cluster, tone rings, sensors or sensor harnesses - all removed. On previous MoT's he has just had the attitude that there is absolutely no ABS equipment on the Jeep so the MoT computer must be wrong and it has passed on tested as presented.

• Administrators

I have only used the pro cal for lowering the threshold of the sensors ! But the AEV disclaimer is just covering legal positions in differing regions so I believe it should work just they are coving the legal position for AEV.

I have a feeling the new MOT rules apply from around 2012 so includes not only tpms but ABS etc..   

Regarding the TPMS system I have to say it probably saved me a serious misfortune on the A2 in Kent a few years ago ! The warning came on so I pulled up quickly to discover a huge cut across the tyre way before I even felt the deflation of the front nearside tyre!  

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim, on my previous JK I did not have the TPMS installed on the aftermarket tyres and used the AEV Procal to disable the TPMS. It removed the yellow warning light on the dash which was all I wanted.

• Platinum Member
On 11/10/2018 at 22:20, stewart said:

I have only used the pro cal for lowering the threshold of the sensors ! But the AEV disclaimer is just covering legal positions in differing regions so I believe it should work just they are coving the legal position for AEV.

I have a feeling the new MOT rules apply from around 2012 so includes not only tpms but ABS etc..   

Regarding the TPMS system I have to say it probably saved me a serious misfortune on the A2 in Kent a few years ago ! The warning came on so I pulled up quickly to discover a huge cut across the tyre way before I even felt the deflation of the front nearside tyre!  

13 hours ago, Clint said:

Hi Tim, on my previous JK I did not have the TPMS installed on the aftermarket tyres and used the AEV Procal to disable the TPMS. It removed the yellow warning light on the dash which was all I wanted.

Thanks guys, will give the Procal a go and see if I can disable it, although the ATs will be going back on tomorrow which have the sensors so will be back to normal operation, will be useful to know for future reference though.

Cheers