Recovery points

V

• Platinum Member
Please note that tow bars are not a safe recovery point so please have recovery points that are physically attached to the chassis of the Jeep where possible.

As an owner of two off road unibody Jeeps, where do I attach a recovery point if it doesn't have a chassis?

Also, why is a TOW BAR considered not a safe recovery point?

• Platinum Member

It's tow ball that's not good recovery point I've seen them snap off towing a caravan.!!

• Administrators

As an owner of two off road unibody Jeeps, where do I attach a recovery point if it doesn't have a chassis?

Also, why is a TOW BAR considered not a safe recovery point?

Good point Vince it should read the "Tow Ball" as the tow bar it's self is the not the issue if correctly installed and rated just the tow ball being not suitable.

For Club Public liability insurance purposes the use rated recovery points including hitch receivers along with rated recovery equipment is a must at public events in the world we live in. I believe you can buy many rated recovery points designed for many of the Unibody Jeeps for XJ even right up to the latest wk2's (Grand Cherokee).  Also it is possible to fabricate your own recovery points but that would need to be tested / engineer certified to have at least a WLL off 4500kg (Working Load Limit) and Minimum Breaking Strength of 7500KG. Along with High Tensile bolts / fixings of the appropriate rating. We all know it's possible to fabricate and engineer things that will never brake but without the calculations and tests there is nothing to back up personal a liability claim if something to fail and the worst thing happen!

• Platinum Member
Stew the Jeep

Interesting thread this on my XJ the original Jeep recovery point broke when I was being winched onto a recovery it was a retrofit rear one Had a ZG which I did recover a Jeep at Ribbo using the tow ball WG tow point towed a caravan to the south of France a few times its solid but from this thread I’ll feel happier using a weight rated shackle attached to the tow bar

• Platinum Member

Thanks Stewart.

On an XJ and probably other unibody Jeeps, owners have to be careful how they actually use the recovery points. Sideloads can cause body distortion, twists and dimples in the sheet metal. Almost always a straight line pull parallel to the centreline axis of the Jeep are required during recovery. When pulling on the front of an XJ it's better to just do a straight line pull on just one recovery point. Using a bridle connected to two recovery points creates a sideload on each recovery point and should be avoided.

One of the best ways for avoiding excessive side loads on recovery points on a unibody is to use a rated tow bar on the rear with a combined ball and pin coupling. A recovery strap or rope can be used safely on the pin NOT the ball. The advantage of the tow bar is that it distributes the load across it's mounting surfaces. Sideloads should still be avoided but the tow bar can help resist damage to the vehicle if a straight pull cannot be achieved.

https://www.maypole.ltd.uk/Vehicle-Towing-Equipment/Ball-and-Pin-Couplings/mp484-50mm-high-reach-combined-ball-and-pin

Likewise for the front, a front receiver hitch beam does much the same thing as a rear tow bar when used with a 'D' ring adaptor. A purpose made winch bumper with 'D' rings will also increase lateral rigidity of the front end and a well designed one will distribute the load over a large area of the inner wings and frame rails.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92011_800_07.htm

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_2005.htm

https://www.hylineoffroad.com/jeep_parts/jeep_xj_front_bumper_jeep_cherokee_front_bumper

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

The big issue with tow balls for me is strops / shackles slipping off them under tension. People get stuck in holes or dips and someone tries to pull them out from above with a strop looped over the ball.

Steve.

Stewart says "I believe you can buy many rated recovery points designed for many of the Unibody Jeeps for XJ even right up to the latest wk2's (Grand Cherokee).  "

I've seen fitting instructions somewhere on the web for front recovery hooks for a WK2 Grand Cherokee; does anyone have information about suppliers, please? I might need them next time I misjudge the depth of a ford!

There is one hook for recovery on the rear of the WK2 I have. However, I would have thought the 3500 kg rated tow hitch would do for a steady pull. I have never liked the idea of 'snatch' recovery; it's just begging for something to break.