Death Wobble

jeepstertim

• Platinum Member

Change of underwear definitely required.....out of nowhere wobbles so violent I thought I was going to lose the hardtop!  Again later a smaller shimmy on a bump and I'm not sure I want to drive the JK again.

Lots on US forums so i'll read and digest.

• Administrators

Change of underwear definitely required.....out of nowhere wobbles so violent I thought I was going to lose the hardtop!  Again later a smaller shimmy on a bump and I'm not sure I want to drive the JK again.

Lots on US forums so i'll read and digest.

Tim what modifications do you have and mileage covered??

• Platinum Member

30,000miles and .75" spacer under the front.  never had a problem before, halfshaft leaking so in for that next week.  Dampers no longer feel good and the ride is much more jittery.

• Platinum Member

I too have death wobble but only about once a month and I just slow down and it stops. Not happy but ill live with it for now

• Platinum Member

Check caster  settings that's more often the cause as caster changes as you lift it

x2 on caster, if all the above things are fine.

My steering was fine until i added extra 3/4 inch spring spacers to compensate for the heavy  rear bumper and tire carrier,

Then my steering was terrible it was like driving permanently on ice.

• Platinum Member

I too have death wobble but only about once a month and I just slow down and it stops. Not happy but ill live with it for now

Sorry Ben but i can't help myself,

Are you sure your on about your Jeep as that sounds like my Mrs once a month she goes on a deadly wobbler too.  :gasp:

• Platinum Member

Well the dealer has taken it for a drive and they say they can't replicate the symptoms............they have identified a noisy wheel bearing, no UK stock so have to wait a week for it to come from Italy....wheel bearing no UK stock....come on Jeep.

The bearing is the same side as the knackered half shaft seal so that too has been knocked back so they can do both at the same time.

I must admit at the moment I have little faith that they have properly gone through the front end to check every joint and nut torque so I think that will fall to me.  I have sent them the following 2 links to try to show them what I mean.

Finally, is it right that I should be picking up an insurance charge for the loan car when the JK is in having warranty work done?

• Platinum Member

Sorry Ben but i can't help myself,

Are you sure your on about your Jeep as that sounds like my Mrs once a month she goes on a deadly wobbler too.  :gasp:

Ha ha

Good luck fixing that one !

• Platinum Member

The saga invariably and unfortunately continues.  Parts in and fitted today however in the process they have shagged the seal on the opposite half shaft so now I wait for another seal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  #exasperated!

• Platinum Member

I will never forget the day it happened to me and to be fair took about 6 months for me to have faith my TJ was not going to kill me, most has been said to check, mine was cheap control arms i fitted so my fault. dealer prob wont get it to do it but if you drive the same road as before at the same speed and hit the same bump or dip as before you will soon see if its sorted.

• Platinum Member

Collected on Friday, 2 wks later.  Drove off to find steering wheel no longer centered, call to the dealer and booked into their local National tyre place free of charge.  Man at National, 'sorry we can't adjust it it is seized solid and I've broken my stilson on it'.  Still, the USB on the stereo works again.