Finally got my doors off!

benjamin

• Platinum Member

It's been a while and I've been wanting to do it so today the doors came off. What the law about driving without mirrors?. I put the passenger side door on so my 4 year old didn't fall out. So I had 1 wing and a rear view is that legal?

20150808_094106.thumb.jpg.886b403ecf4901223a0029e6dbade485.jpg

• Platinum Member

To answer your question, no.  You need a mirror on the offside and a rear view mirror.  If the rear 'window' is blanked off then you don't have to have a rear view mirror but must have a wing mirror on the nearside.

Lots of confusion over the regs on this, I'm pretty sure that you are indeed required to have both wing mirrors fitted to comply with EU legislation. The rule of thumb should be if the car when sold new had 2 wing mirrors then you should indeed have 2 fitted.

However I asked the traffic cop that lives a couple of doors up the question and he said as far as he was concerned you must have at least 2 rear facing mirrors fitted, which would include wing and rear view..

I would be cautious and go for a second wing with doors off, not as expensive as a fine a possible vehicle seizure ! :great:

• Platinum Member

Thanks.for the device i was wondering if i could knock some thing up to keep it legal it's only got to fit in the door hinge hole and have a mirror on the other end

You can get all sorts of mirrors from trailer/caravan places that fit temporarily for towing etc even halfords sell a few , might be worth checking out

Guest Toptooler

Evening

You could try one from a cycle shop had one on my TJ mounted through a hole top of roll bar next to windscreen about 4"round was ok will try and find a picture tomorrow only about £5.00

Enjoy the sun.