Hello - JK owner from Home Counties

dualcyclone

• Platinum Member
dualcyclone

Hi All,

I have been a Wrangler Sahara Unlimited owner for over 8 months now; and as much as I enjoy the drive... I'm looking to take the beast to its natural terrain.

Looking to upgrade it for off-roading, hoping to pick up some tips here... but if you have any tips I absolutely need to know... please let me know!

I've attached a picture of the day I bought mine.... I've since added a Gobi Stealth roof rack; no pictures as yet.

Cheers,

Luke

10441036_10154735646010065_6257213273147179508_n.thumb.jpg.59bac8e6838e1591cef094608ecd1dd8.jpg

• Administrators

Hi Luke welcome to the Club  :wav2  Have a look at the Members Jeeps posts https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/board,13.0.html this may give you some ideas ! Also check out our latest events https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/board,46.0.html  we have a event coming up in August at Billing Aquadrome 14th-16th !

Welcome Luke

Only advice is to come along to our events and let the Jeep enjoy its natural terrain and habitat  :great:

Once seeing the other club members Jeeps your "want and wish" list will undoubtedly grow.

See you soon then?

Jules

• Platinum Member

Hi Luke and welcome to the club. Especially the very select Gobi club ;)

• Platinum Member
dualcyclone

Hi Luke and welcome to the club. Especially the very select Gobi club ;)

Haha, yes... it was quite a painful and ended up being a very expensive purchase, but definitely worth it!

• Platinum Member
dualcyclone

Welcome Luke

Only advice is to come along to our events and let the Jeep enjoy its natural terrain and habitat  :great:

Once seeing the other club members Jeeps your "want and wish" list will undoubtedly grow.

See you soon then?

Jules

I've heard that the stock wheels aren't all that great off road, that and the underside isn't really prepped either?

From the various american sites I've visited, they're suggesting something like 35" tyres, and at least a front winch and proper bumper. Looking at the Warn Zeon 12 and ARB Stubby, with a Smittybilt Atlas rear bumper + tyre carrier. I guess for the adventurous off-roading, I will eventually need some decent rock sliders, air lockers... etc... but I am not so sure the missus will let me spend the value of my car on upgrades so easily!

• Administrators

Forget the U.S. Forums! Totally differing approach to off road driving than in the UK ! I can tell you that seriously you only need 33" tyres and a 2" lift for overland trips ! If you are looking for much over this then it's going to be expensive ! 35's are not a good idea without a re gear and maybe some other upgrades to the D30 axel used on most JK's except Rubicon that uses the D44.

We have 2 Wranglers one is a Ultimate 2010 (based on Sahara ) the other a rubicon ! I run 33's and 2" lift on the Ultimate and 35's on the Rubicon with a 2.5" lift!

The best thing to do is get along to one of our events and take some time with a pro instructor ! You would be surprised at what you can do with the correct guidance !