Grand cherokee wk build

5.7Cherokee

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee

So this is the start of modifying my 2006 cherokee. It has 90k on the clock and have owned it since december ( had a wj before for 3 years).

Job planned so far are:

Roof rack 

Slight suspenson lift nothing to crazy

Jba uca's

Hidden winch tray 

Recovery points 

Skidplates and rock sliders.

After a small amount of research ive found that parts for wk's can get quite expensive (this didnt make the wife too happy!!).

I work as a precision engineer and fabricator. So have decided why buy it when i can build it myself! And make it to what i want.

So far i have got the roof rack done and fitted (this was before i joined the club so didnt get many pics sorry.

Trying to keep cost down i found a roof rack for a ford ranger pickup,which got cut and stretched 600mm then welded back together and few more cross bars put in and mount made to fit in holes for original rails.

Main goal was to try and keep the rack as close to roof as possible rather than having it stuck way up in the air.

This will be my first "documented" build so please bare with me guys 

Cheers20200704_171141.thumb.jpg.047b45bbbcfc2cd41a457a7a8a37b8ac.jpg

20200704_171129.jpg

20200703_205830.jpg

20200709_112935.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Looking good 👍🏼

Can't wait to see where this one goes. However, I can tell you this, That Job's list will never end 😆

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee
45 minutes ago, TazMann said:

Looking good 👍🏼

Can't wait to see where this one goes. However, I can tell you this, That Job's list will never end 😆

🤣 Yea there never really finished always something to do. 

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee
47 minutes ago, PDB said:

I will be interested in seeing this thread evolve. 

I think a hidden winch tray was mentioned somewhere for this build? I have rocky road winch tray which is very good quality but I didnt fit it. It is designed for the 2005-2008 WK bumper. The 2010 bumper I have sits forward about an inch, instead of flush to the hawse fairlead. As long as its bolted in with the appropriate graded bolts and thick enough steel, it should be fine - but you are the engineer! 

😉👍

Thanks. Yea its next on my list now when it decides to stop raining,

Then welded from the bottom of the winchtray some arms coming out for shackles and to mount some sort of bullbar once i decide what i want. 👍

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee
14 minutes ago, PDB said:

Nice. Is that a Gobi rack?

No that was a rack i brought from a company called lrchallenge4x4 is for a ford ranger and i cut n welded it to make it fit the jeep its mainly for when we go away i have two dogs one being a large french mastiff so they have to go in boot luggage now on roof. Did see the gobi racks are very nice but expensive also.

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee

JBA upper control arms.

So they've finally arrived although saying that it has only been just over 2 weeks since i ordered them.

Build quality is of a very high standard and compared to the oem parts they are extremely beefed up version. Also as an added bonus the owner of jba likes to share his faith with everyone so you get free dvd of jesus 🤣  slightly random but each to there own!

Hopefully get them fitted at the weekend if the weather holds out!!

For some reason it wont allow me to upload pictures atm will try later or put some on wen there fitted.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee
6 hours ago, frosty said:

they look like well made parts, where did you buy them ?

From the states Jbaoffroad.com original ones were getting tired and after seeing the horror stories of the balljoints on the standard arms failing due to lifting the vehicle i bit the bullet and brought some.

• Platinum Member

i just had a look at their site, they have some good stuff, and the prices are competitive,  also the ball joints are re-buildable.  it is a shame they don't do anything for JK's.

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee

Yes they have a limited stock now still a few diff guards and skid plates but they mainly focus on uca's.

PDB do you have a closer picture of your rear recovery points im looking to do similar. Are they brought or fabricated one's?

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee

Bit of an update went to fit the jba arms on sunday and to have a look as to what the ticking coming from nsf wheel is? First thoughts were driveshaft cv turns out it was the wheel bearing making the noise however the rubber cv boots are starting to crack and noticed some play so currently waiting for a driveshaft and wheel bearing to turn up then will do all the work in one go. 

All hopefully in time for a trip to wales to see family.

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee
On 20/07/2020 at 20:23, PDB said:

Whereabouts in Wales?

I recommend the jeep cv boots as I found they are far superior to aftermarket types. Expensive, but durable. 

Llandysul about 15 miles from carmarthen. Moved there about a year ago.

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee
12 hours ago, PDB said:

I know it. About as far as you can get from me though - thought we might be able to meet up if in the north  to look at those rear sliders.

Yea unfortunatly im quite a bit down country. Will keep it in mind if im ever in the area thou. Used to go to snowdon area quite a bit many years ago think im due a visit

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee

So finally with avoiding the odd rain shower the uca's are on along with a new wheel hub assembly.

Fitting was straight forward the only mod being i had do put a 9/16 drill down the tapered hole for the balljoint to open up the end slightly to allow new one to fit. Which only removed the smallest amount of material.

Overall very pleased with it drives a whole lot better now (no bump steer at all).

have the piece of mind that they wont fail like some of the horror stories ive seen with standard arms also having greasable balljoints and bushing is a nice touch.

20200725_140900.jpg

20200725_140910.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee
33 minutes ago, PDB said:

Nice 👍

OME spring lift next?

Yes at some point in the future. my real goal would be a superlift however they do come with a hefty price tag

• Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee

Yea when ordering it was mentioned the bracket was for 2008 models and up

• 10 months later...
  • Platinum Member
5.7Cherokee

Wow been nearly a year since i last posted something. Will sort out some pictures at the weekend and update this thread

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
1 hour ago, 5.7Cherokee said:

Wow been nearly a year since i last posted something. Will sort out some pictures at the weekend and update this thread

It's ok mate its been a very strange year🤮😷 .............. looking foerward to see what has been done 👍😆

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Platinum Member
On 02/06/2021 at 15:52, 5.7Cherokee said:

Hi 5.7cherokee, see your jeep for sale at a dealer, how come you sold it? In the market for one currently!

Thanks in advance 

• Platinum Member

Hi steve yes its in a dealers near hinkley.

I traded it for a land rover as wanted to get back into off roading and the jeep was to good a vehicle to possibly get damaged by off roading. 

It is an extremely clean car anything that needed to be done on it was with no expense spared.

If you are looking to view this jeep it wont disappoint.

I believe its up for 7k atm?!

For what its worth the dealer has around £3500 in it so you could get him to lower the price quite abit 😉

Only thing that i kept an eye on was the power steering pump was starting to get a little whiny.

Hope this helps you

this is my honest view of the car i got rid of it few months ago now so i dont have anything to hide.

Just dont pay 7k for it he will drop the price if pushed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, 5.7Cherokee said:

Hi steve yes its in a dealers near hinkley.

I traded it for a land rover as wanted to get back into off roading and the jeep was to good a vehicle to possibly get damaged by off roading. 

It is an extremely clean car anything that needed to be done on it was with no expense spared.

If you are looking to view this jeep it wont disappoint.

I believe its up for 7k atm?!

For what its worth the dealer has around £3500 in it so you could get him to lower the price quite abit 😉

Only thing that i kept an eye on was the power steering pump was starting to get a little whiny.

Hope this helps you

this is my honest view of the car i got rid of it few months ago now so i dont have anything to hide.

Just dont pay 7k for it he will drop the price if pushed.

Thanks man, appreciate the heads up on the vehicle. It looks fantastic with the JK wheels and lift, and I love the colour! Will let you know if I get it 

• Platinum Member
On 01/09/2021 at 17:06, Steve1 said:

Thanks man, appreciate the heads up on the vehicle. It looks fantastic with the JK wheels and lift, and I love the colour! Will let you know if I get it 

No problem