Last minute trip on Ridgeway(wiltshire)

steve-kay1965

• Platinum Member

Hello all

The Ridgeway byway is closed from October 1st till April 30th. I am taking a taking a last chance trip on Sunday 28th September. Wondered if anyone would like to join me!!!

Meet at Brewers arms pub in Wanborough SN4 OAE at 9.30am Get onto the Ridgeway at 10 am.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/the_ridgeway

Some scratchy, some sticky if its rained, but no water.

photo opportunities all the way!

drive past barbury castle (iron age hill fort)

All the way to Avebury where we will have a breather and drink at the Red lion pub SN8 1RF

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury/

Worth a walk around the stone circle.

Then return back via ridgeway

takes 2-3 hours.

My mobile is 07779755914

cheers

Steve

• Platinum Member

I've lived in Wiltshire for nearly 20 years and only now I've amended the jeep a bit  I've now found some of the most beautiful parts and only available to those who like to walk a lot or cycle a lot. Which is both difficult on certain parts of it. It's got to be worth a punt of a trip but I'm afraid you'll have to wait till May!.

I feel another bash at it on Tuesday evening, even more interesting when it's dark!

• Platinum Member

Me too, would love to do the ridgeway next year, cycled it once, nearly killed me!

so much easier with 200 horses under your right foot!

I'm heading out on the Oxfordshire/Berkshire end of the Ridgeway tonight with a friend, Got to get one more trip in ahead of the restrictions being in force on Wednesday.

Most of the lanes aren't actually the "Ridgeway" but surrounding and associated lanes but again some of these also have the TRO's in place from 1st Oct.

Your pictures look a little less overgrown than some this end, a few I used last time I was out were totally blocked with scrub, I actually had to reverse a couple of hundred yards and turn around on one.

I'll post some pictures of "This end" when back  :great:

Chris

• Platinum Member

I'm heading out on the Oxfordshire/Berkshire end of the Ridgeway tonight with a friend, Got to get one more trip in ahead of the restrictions being in force on Wednesday.

Most of the lanes aren't actually the "Ridgeway" but surrounding and associated lanes but again some of these also have the TRO's in place from 1st Oct.

Your pictures look a little less overgrown than some this end, a few I used last time I was out were totally blocked with scrub, I actually had to reverse a couple of hundred yards and turn around on one.

I'll post some pictures of "This end" when back  :great:

Chris

Hi Chris, what i have found is around the top end Albourne/Lambourne way the Ridgeway is fed by multiple lanes, most not being restricted, but they havent been used and seriously overgrown as you said, simular to your end, if i didnt do it on my own i would be temped to try alot of them. Good luck for tonight. Im out tomorrow.

Steve

• Platinum Member

How did Sunday go ?? really sorry I could not get out of an arranged weekend despite trying , this really must be organised properly and set in stone for a date for 2015

• Platinum Member
steve-kay1965

Hi Mark

It was awesome! the weather was wonderful. Didnt get stuck(which is always a bonus!). It took 2 1/2 hours one way.

yesterday i had my last run before they shut it and ended up green laning with some local 4x4 guys. we ended up at a 4x4 play area close to Avebury. which has some very challenging runs and realy good fun. See google maps below.. We could always include that in the day too. This area is open all year round.

• Platinum Member
steve-kay1965

No problem, I will research and get back to you.

Cheers