Custom Workshop Needed

Carbonbiped

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped

Hi I've got a great looking 89 YJ the paint and interior are fantastic I had the 2.4cc removed and a rebuilt V8 from a Cherokee fitted with gear box but this is a problem as it needs all the computers from the donor vehicle which I still have to run the management of engine and gearbox ! also its had a lift but not had diffs and axles sorted ! now I'm stuck as I'm not sure what to do put the original 2.4 back and re gear it for lift selling the completely rebuilt Cherokee  V8, or go for a small block Chevy or other V8 more suitable to the YJ still selling the Cherokee V8 and now the 2.4 AMC I'm desperate to get answers and maybe a workshop that knows what they are doing

My Jeep.jpg

• Like 1

• VIP Member
49 minutes ago, Carbonbiped said:

Hi I've got a great looking 89 YJ the paint and interior are fantastic I had the 2.4cc removed and a rebuilt V8 from a Cherokee fitted with gear box but this is a problem as it needs all the computers from the donor vehicle which I still have to run the management of engine and gearbox ! also its had a lift but not had diffs and axles sorted ! now I'm stuck as I'm not sure what to do put the original 2.4 back and re gear it for lift selling the completely rebuilt Cherokee  V8, or go for a small block Chevy or other V8 more suitable to the YJ still selling the Cherokee V8 and now the 2.4 AMC I'm desperate to get answers and maybe a workshop that knows what they are doing

My Jeep.jpg

So is the Cherokee not a donor vehicle?  What engine is in the Cherokee now?  Where are you based?

• VIP Member
Posted (edited)

Hi,welcome to the club. It would be good to see you at an event, we only have a few YJs!

Yep , I've been though many of your thoughts with mine. Yours looks smart too!

My findings were that with a V8 conversion, unless you spend an absolute packet  its difficult to get 4WD which, for me, is essential. Have you already got 4wd? I'd stick with it if so.

Was your 2.5 a manual?  If it was the gearing should be 4.1 in the axles. I run this with my 4.0L on 33s and it works gr8.  4.0L mpg is little different to a 2.5 but the power is much better! Have you considered that option.

I do most things but I can't help with Tech I'm afraid. 

Edited by digger

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped
5 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

So is the Cherokee not a donor vehicle?  What engine is in the Cherokee now?  Where are you based?

The Cherokee V8 had a full rebuild and cleaned and painted and is fitted in YJ but never been run ! I jumped the gun with the Cherokee as I said it needs a complete rewire of loom and engine management fitted so I am thinking of re installing the 2.5 re gearing for the lift and selling the V8 and box

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped
9 minutes ago, digger said:

Hi,welcome to the club. It would be good to see you at an event, we only have a few YJs!

Yep , I've been though many of your thoughts with mine. Yours looks smart too!

My findings were that with a V8 conversion, unless you spend an absolute packet  its difficult to get 4WD which, for me, is essential. Have you already got 4wd? I'd stick with it if so.

Was your 2.5 a manual?  If it was the gearing should be 4.1 in the axles. I run this with my 4.0L on 33s and it works gr8.  4.0L mpg is little different to a 2.5 but the power is much better! Have you considered that option.

I do most things but I can't help with Tech I'm afraid. 

Yes it was a 2.5 manual and engine ran fine it was just gutless because things had not been adjusted for large wheels something I did not realise ! I would just love to get this fab looking jeep back on the road

By Cherokee do you mean Grand Cherokee?

The ZJ had 5.2L and 5.9L Magnum engine

The WJ/WG had 4.7L PowerTech engine

The WK had 4.7L PowerTech and Hemi in 5.7L and 6.1L

The WK2 had Hemi in 5.7L and 6.4L with a supercharged version in 6.2L

The WL has just the 5.7L Hemi

If it's a Hemi, WildJeeper62 had his JK transplant done in the UK so should be able to pass on contact details.

The older Magnum and PowerTech engine transplants are doable conversions if you have a DRB III scan tool with the appropriate modules. If not they are a pain unless the engine is going into a pre-EOBD era Jeep. In that case, a standalone engine management system can be used to replace the stock ECU. However, after 1996 Chrysler started incorporating the automatic transmission controller (TCU) into the ECU (PCM) so if a standalone TCU is not available that has to be changed as well if using the auto, manual trans doesn't need one.

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped
4 minutes ago, V said:

By Cherokee do you mean Grand Cherokee?

The ZJ had 5.2L and 5.9L Magnum engine

The WJ/WG had 4.7L PowerTech engine

The WK had 4.7L PowerTech and Hemi in 5.7L and 6.1L

The WK2 had Hemi in 5.7L and 6.4L with a supercharged version in 6.2L

The WL has just the 5.7L Hemi

If it's a Hemi, WildJeeper62 had his JK transplant done in the UK so should be able to pass on contact details.

The older Magnum and PowerTech engine transplants are doable conversions if you have a DRB III scan tool with the appropriate modules. If not they are a pain unless the engine is going into a pre-EOBD era Jeep. In that case, a standalone engine management system can be used to replace the stock ECU. However, after 1996 Chrysler started incorporating the automatic transmission controller (TCU) into the ECU (PCM) so if a standalone TCU is not available that has to be changed as well if using the auto, manual trans doesn't need one.

its a 60th anniversary from 2001I still have the rest of the donor and as said the engine was taken right down exterior cleaned and painted black as well as a full top and bottom rebuild

Hi mate, I did a chevy 5.7 V8 small block conversion with holley sniper EFI in my 98 TJ on my drive. No past experience with engine swaps and I am not a mechanic just a humble electrician.... If you do decide to go that route feel free to ask for any advice. All it it didn't cost that much to do and the engine was a brand new crate engine from the US. 

Cheers Lewis 

So it's a 4.7L PowerTech V8 from a WG in a pre-EOBD Jeep.

If you still have the donor vehicle then it will be possible to integrate the WG's ECU/TCU into the YJ. You will likely need a very expensive and obsolete DRB III scan tool when it comes to the Sentry Key Immobiliser Module/System (SKIM/SKIS), ignition switch and keys. I have not done one of these conversions, but I looked at it as an option and rejected it due to complexity and dependency on DRB III. It was simpler for me to install a Toyota V8 in an XJ. I'm now sticking with the 4.0L i6 and just swapping out the 4-speed Toyota transmission for an 8-speed BMW ZF transmission.

If it were my Jeep I would rather ditch all of the 22 year old electronics and replace with brand new electronics. Check with DVSA if the finished vehicle would require an IVA or if the engine and transmission swap just needs to comply with the YJ's registration date emissions for MOT. The brakes really need to be upgraded. The stock YJ brakes are barely good enough for an unmodified 4.0L on bigger tyres without adding to that the extra power of the V8. Fortunately as you still have the WG you can take the brakes and knuckles off of that. The rear brakes may swap too, I don't know for certain. I've only swapped ZJ rear discs to an XJ before and TJ Rubicon D44 rear discs to a TJ D44.

As the Jeep is pre-EOBD you could ditch a lot of the emission controls, EGR if it has it, vapour capture and just have cats and a standalone EFI controller that can run wasted spark ignition and wideband oxygen sensors. You would also need a standalone transmission controller for the 545RFE. By replacing the ECU and TCU you gain control of both with a laptop and the standalone controller vendors software. In the long term this will be cheaper to install and support than messing about with obsolete Daimler-Chrysler electronics that FCA has no interest in. There are lots of V8 standalone ECUs to suit a variety of budgets. I have not found any that do OBD2 yet, but as your Jeep is pre-EOBD you don't need it.

If you do reinstall the 2.5L, putting an Eaton supercharger and intercooler on a 2.5L 4-cyl is a lot cheaper than an engine transplant and you can run on the original ECU and fuel map when the supercharger's electric clutch is switched off for everyday use. Take the brakes and knuckles off the WG before you scrap it and put them on the YJ, you won't regret it.

Edited by V
  • Like 1

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped
17 minutes ago, Lg5489 said:

Hi mate, I did a chevy 5.7 V8 small block conversion with holley sniper EFI in my 98 TJ on my drive. No past experience with engine swaps and I am not a mechanic just a humble electrician.... If you do decide to go that route feel free to ask for any advice. All it it didn't cost that much to do and the engine was a brand new crate engine from the US. 

Cheers Lewis 

How long ago did you do that ? how much was the crate engine ? what did you do about the gear box ? thanks for the help

28 minutes ago, V said:

If you still have the donor vehicle then it will be possible to integrate the WG's ECU/TCU into the YJ. You will likely need a very expensive and obsolete DRB III scan tool when it comes to the Sentry Key Immobiliser Module/System (SKIM/SKIS), ignition switch and keys. I have not done one of these conversions, but I looked at it as an option and rejected it due to complexity and dependency on DRB III. It was simpler for me to install a Toyota V8 in an XJ. I'm now sticking with the 4.0L i6 and just swapping out the 4-speed Toyota transmission for an 8-speed BMW ZF transmission.

If it were my Jeep I would rather ditch all of the 22 year old electronics and replace with brand new electronics. Check with DVSA if the finished vehicle would require an IVA or if the engine and transmission swap just needs to comply with the YJ's registration date emissions for MOT. The brakes really need to be upgraded. The stock YJ brakes are barely good enough for an unmodified 4.0L on bigger tyres without adding to that the extra power of the V8. Fortunately as you still have the WG you can take the brakes and knuckles off of that. The rear brakes may swap too, I don't know for certain. I've only swapped ZJ rear discs to an XJ before and TJ Rubicon D44 rear discs to a TJ D44.

As the Jeep is pre-EOBD you could ditch a lot of the emission controls, EGR if it has it, vapour capture and just have cats and a standalone EFI controller that can run wasted spark ignition and wideband oxygen sensors. You would also need a standalone transmission controller for the 545RFE. By replacing the ECU and TCU you gain control of both with a laptop and the standalone controller vendors software. In the long term this will be cheaper to install and support than messing about with obsolete Daimler-Chrysler electronics that FCA has no interest in. There are lots of V8 standalone ECUs to suit a variety of budgets. I have not found any that do OBD2 yet, but as your Jeep is pre-EOBD you don't need it.

If you do reinstall the 2.5L, putting an Eaton supercharger and intercooler on a 2.5L 4-cyl is a lot cheaper than an engine transplant and you can run on the original ECU and fuel map when the supercharger's electric clutch is switched off for everyday use. Take the brakes and knuckles off the WG before you scrap it and put them on the YJ, you won't regret it.

WOW thanks for all that although a lot went right over my head lol I will take advice and remove rear brakes before I scrap it and definitely have a chat with WildJeeper62 find out who he used

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped
47 minutes ago, V said:

WOW thanks for all that although a lot went right over my head lol I will take advice and remove rear brakes before I scrap it and definitely have a chat with WildJeeper62 find out who he used

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped

To V

• VIP Member

If it was my Jeep, and I wish it was, that is an early model still with the CJ style roll bar and in LHD too, quite rare in the UK, it also looks in amazing condition 😎. Anyway, if it were me I’d refit the original engine and maybe look to increase the power a bit if you need as V says. On a classic like that in that condition I’d also like to keep it not too far off stock. What lift has it got and what size tyres are you running?

• Like 1

• VIP Member

If you really wanted to fit a V8 in it you might be better off looking at a 6.0L AMC V8 from an SJ or a 5.0L AMC V8 from a Golden Eagle CJ, not that finding one of those would be an easy task. The plus with the 6.0L is also that as well as not being burdened with a load of electronics it also doesn’t actually generate enormous amounts of power so you don’t have to worry that much about upgrading the entire driveline 

• Like 1

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped
11 minutes ago, TimC said:

If it was my Jeep, and I wish it was, that is an early model still with the CJ style roll bar and in LHD too, quite rare in the UK, it also looks in amazing condition 😎. Anyway, if it were me I’d refit the original engine and maybe look to increase the power a bit if you need as V says. On a classic like that in that condition I’d also like to keep it not too far off stock. What lift has it got and what size tyres are you running?

Not 100% but think its a 2.5inch

The front brakes and steering knuckles from the Grand Cherokee will make the biggest difference in braking on your YJ. The rear discs will be of benefit but they wont give as big a performance improvement as fitting the WG front brakes.

One pitfall of the WJ/WG brake conversion is that it doesn't fit all 15" wheels, on some the caliper fouls the inside of the wheel. The calipers will fit 16" wheels. It's a bit of a gamble if you have already invested in 15" wheels and tyres. Vanco produces a big brake kit that does fit 15" wheels if you don't mind clip on balance weights. There's not enough clearance for stick on balance weights as the caliper shaves them off. I have had two of these kits and the braking performance is the same as the WJ/WG conversion.

There is another DIY front brake conversion using big calipers for 15" wheels but you need 1987-1989 XJ Knuckles which are very difficult to find now.

• Like 1

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped
12 minutes ago, TimC said:

not wrong CJ was what I was after fell in love with them in the 70's The Six Million Dollar Man lmao 

• VIP Member

……..or maybe something like an old Rover 3.5 V8 but that is going a bit off brand. Other options you could look at fitting as it’s an ‘89 ( does that make it still AMC or is it Chrysler  by then 🤔) either an AMC 4.2 in line 6 or the later 4.0L inline 6 

• VIP Member

My CJ runs 31” tyres and the 4.2L, which is only 114 bhp is absolutely fine with them, I do find my 2.5L YJ on 29” tyres does feel a bit underpowered though.

If the PowerTech 4.7L has already been rebuilt and installed. A standalone ECU and TCU would be the simplest way to get it running as it avoids a lot of emission controls and the SKIM.

There is expertise in UK with the Megasquirt. Here's one for V8 Land Rover https://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/ms_what_is_ms.php

Someone has already started a Megasquirt install on a PowerTech 4.7L https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70934

It looks like you need to modify the trigger wheel or make a new one.

• VIP Member
4 hours ago, V said:

...If it's a Hemi, WildJeeper62 had his JK transplant done in the UK so should be able to pass on contact details.

He uses Jim Sunderland in Sowerby, West Yorkshire - Sunderland 4x4 Tel: 01422 833373, or sunderland4x4@hotmail.co.uk

• VIP Member
Carbonbiped
1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

He uses Jim Sunderland in Sowerby, West Yorkshire - Sunderland 4x4 Tel: 01422 833373, or sunderland4x4@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks hope to meet up with all you guys soon as im on the road