Another Back In The Fold

Rassy39

Rassy39

Hi All

Out of Jeep ownership for the past 22 years. Previous model was a YJ from 1993, photo attached. Lived abroad for a while and it was my daily run around. Was bought off a charter company hence the name of the yacht on the side. Great car, sadly missed.

For the past 15 years have been a Defender TD5 owner but sold it last year. Was well modified and took myself and the wife to the Artic Circle and back a few years ago.

Now back in a Jeep - nearly. Year 2000 TJ 4.0, red half door, just purchased from Japan. Will be enroute next Tuesday to the UK so will be a few weeks before it arrives.

Will be looking to you all experienced owners for advice on a few upgrades - the most pressing is new wheels and tires. Current wheels and tires do not fill the fenders !

So - hope to be an active contributor and look forward to some banter.

Nige

Jeep.jpg

BM363994_3.jpg

• Like 4

• VIP Member
14 minutes ago, Rassy39 said:

Hi All

Out of Jeep ownership for the past 22 years. Previous model was a YJ from 1993, photo attached. Lived abroad for a while and it was my daily run around. Was bought off a charter company hence the name of the yacht on the side. Great car, sadly missed.

For the past 15 years have been a Defender TD5 owner but sold it last year. Was well modified and took myself and the wife to the Artic Circle and back a few years ago.

Now back in a Jeep - nearly. Year 2000 TJ 4.0, red half door, just purchased from Japan. Will be enroute next Tuesday to the UK so will be a few weeks before it arrives.

Will be looking to you all experienced owners for advice on a few upgrades - the most pressing is new wheels and tires. Current wheels and tires do not fill the fenders !

So - hope to be an active contributor and look forward to some banter.

Nige

Jeep.jpg

BM363994_3.jpg

Welcome to the JOC.

Nice looking TJ, particularly like the half doors.  Do you plan to do the lift in the near future?  In other words are you looking for tyres for stock height or lifted?

Rassy39
Posted (edited)

Hi UKTJ

Thanks for the welcome.

Not sure what the previous owner has done to the Jeep. There might be a lift, theres also an after market bumper front and rear alongside oversized fender extensions.

The current setup needs to be confirmed but a new lift along with new wheels and tires are a priority and maybe thinner fender extensions.

The reason I bought it from Japan was the rust free condition and the half doors.

Edited by Rassy39
  • Like 1

• VIP Member
39 minutes ago, Rassy39 said:

Hi UKTJ

Thanks for the welcome.

Not sure what the previous owner has done to the Jeep. There might be a lift, theres also an after market bumper front and rear alongside oversized fender extensions.

The current setup needs to be confirmed but a new lift along with new wheels and tires are a priority and maybe thinner fender extensions.

The reason I bought it from Japan was the rust free condition and the half doors.

The wider flares may come in handy depending on your preference about exposed tyres.  The skinny tyres on the stock TJ worked with the back spacing on the stock wheels, typically 5.25".  But even with a 10.5" wide tyre that much back spacing can be a problem and cause rubbing.  So if you are going to go to a bigger, wider tyre and buying new wheels anyway I would suggest something with less backspacing.  Chances are that will mean exposed tyre with stock size flares.  I run 285/75 r16s (roughly 33"x11.5") on a stock wheel with a 30mm spacer (so equivalent to just over 4" backspacing).  This gives me clearance at full lock, but results in a small amount of exposed tyre with stock flares.

One option is to pick up a set of 'take off' 17" JL Rubicon alloys, which typically have a 32" BFG MT tyre.  The lug pattern is different, but you would need a spacer anyway because of the back spacing on those wheels, so you can simply use an adapter spacer.  I never did this, but when I have looked on ebay it seems you pay roughly the cost of the tyres and end up with the wheels pretty much free.  But it all depends what size wheels and tyres you are looking to run, as to whether it is a good deal or not.

• VIP Member

Looks gr8. welcome aboard. 

What size tyres did you want? I may have two sets for sale one 31s and one 33s MTs

Rassy39
Posted (edited)

Thanks Digger - not sure yet until Jeep arrives. Need to see whats been done to it so far. 

Photo below shows why the wheels need changing.

Bumper will be changed as well.

BM363994_8.jpg

Edited by Rassy39