Pull out spouts on 1 litre oil bottles

V

• VIP Member

Surprisingly few now! Most ATFs are. I keep them for future use and mix the ATF with white spirit to make a tub of releasing fluid.

• Like 1

I've got slanted funnels for ATF so I guess I could swap the caps over if they are the same thread. I may have a few left in my storage.

• VIP Member

I've never had a problem with the thread . Sometimes they are a bit loose so I wind insulating tape around the thread. I'll have a look tomorrow  and see what make ATF bottles they are. I last bought some ages ago.

I've also a  metal funnel fitted with a length of hose pipe. When I put in your new gear oil I shall pop the pipe in the filler hole and cable tie the funnel up top under the bonnet and pour in the measured amount!

I have been looking at standardised non-round 1L HDPE containers on eBay. If the disposable hand operated transfer pumps fit these containers, that will be good enough for me. I can make a removable fluid storage locker in the Jeep that neatly secures all of the bottles. Print labels with all the relevant info on the contents and still buy cheaply in bulk containers to keep at home. Perhaps it is worth making it a bit taller to also have compartments for four spray canisters.

• VIP Member

Yep, aerosols are a pain. I put a load in a bucket for JOC camp last year and a chain  grease (moto cross which I use for the leaf springs) blew off and made a right mess!

• VIP Member

My bottles are Texaco ATF and some Castrol gear oil too. The Syntrax is as well.

I think I will try adapting a cap to make a pouring spout. Using a M12 or 1/2" BSP barbed hose tail connector. Drill a hole in the cap for the thread of the hose tail. Secure the hose tail in the cap with a sealing washer and a suitable flanged nut. Attach a length of 8mm or 5/16" bore PVC hose to the barb and that should be a reasonable pouring spout. 

flanged-nut.png.47d805eaac463fce9309cda2cd911978.pnghosetail.png.1b6d060844f9108fa18f5506d6e1a177.png

• Like 2