Wales Weekend Explorer - 11th & 12th March 2023 - Booking now open

Volant165

Wales Weekend Adventure - 11th & 12th March 2023  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who's up for attending?

• Yes yes yes ... where do I sign up?!
    • I'd love to ... but need to check my schedule.
  2. 2. Is anyone available to lead a group?

• No problem ... I'd be happy to help!
    • Not this time ... maybe at another event though.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Platinum Member

Wales Weekend Explorer 11th-12th March 2023

*TICKETS NOW ON SALE* 

We are excited to confirm we will be running a weekend explorer green lanes trip in Wales for Jeep Owners Club members.

Date: Saturday 11th – Sunday 12th March 2023

Event Spaces: 8 + 2 team leaders

Schedule Saturday 11th March 2023

Arrival & check in: 9:30am (meeting point details below)

Briefing: 10am

Depart: Group 1: 10:15am Group 2: 10:45am. The first green lane of the day is 5 minutes away.

Activities: Day driving some beautiful lanes with stunning views & plenty of opportunities for photo & tea breaks

Schedule Sunday 12th March 2023

Depart: 10am for Strata Florida - an hour & half drive on tarmac.

Activities: Strata Florida

Event finish: 3:30pm

Tickets & Pricing

£60.00 for the 2 days

Please visit the club shop to order your ticket & secure your spot.

Tickets are allocated on a first come first serve basis.

One ticket per vehicle required & you must be a member of the club (easy to join).

Vehicle requirements

All participating Jeeps must have:

·        All terrain OR mud tires

·        Water protection - Wales can be a very wet place so please ensure your vehicle can deal with this! Strata 100% will have a foot or two of water in places.

·        Front & rear recovery points

Please be aware

The route is remote & you will need to ensure you have filled with fuel on Saturday morning.

Phone reception is limited so please have your CB’s turned on to channel 22.

There will be some extended roadwork to get to some tracks … but the views will be worth it.

It is the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle to decide if their Jeep is capable of dealing with the water, mud etc. The JOC team will do our best to ensure nobody gets stuck, but we can only do so much.

Meeting Point

Corwen Car Park

Corwen town

Denbighshire

LL21 0DN

Please NOTE this is a pay and display so please have some change !

Co-ordinates

E: 265163 N: 313411

Directions

Corwan car park situated off Green lane behind the old police station

If you are travelling from the West:

·        Turn left onto Green lane just after the statue of Owain Glyndwr the knight on the horse.

If you are travelling from the East:

·        Turn right onto Green lane just past the b&b café

Then from both directions:

·        Follow the sign post for Canolfan Leisure Centre

·        The car park is on the right about 100 yards down the road.

Groups

2 groups of up to 5 vehicles will run the route separated by around 30 minutes to give plenty of space on the lanes

Day time Facilities

Please pack your own snacks, food & drinks for your trip!  There will be limited ability to top up supplies during the day.

As always the weather can turn cold & wet at the drop of a hat so please ensure you have plenty of warm clothing & suitable footwear for this trip.

Accommodation

Saturday night we will be using a camp site and B&B owned by the pub "Y Giler Arms"

Rhydlydan, Nr Betws-y-Coed, Conwy, North Wales, LL24 0LL

Please ring 01690 770719 or go online to book your accommodation either B&B or camp spot.

There are 7 rooms only ,6 with en-suite shower facilities, all offering flat screen television, free toiletries, complimentary tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer and free WIFI.  This will be a 1st come basis. The pub does great food and drinks and a great cooked breakfast!

Team/ Leaders

Chris

Brad / Mrs V (Lou)

Thank you so much @Chrisby for your invaluable support arranging this event. 

Look forward to seeing you all soon! Have a great day every one!

Mrs V & Team JOC

10A slindon safari2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, digger said:

Do you mean 'Y Giler' Arms near Betws- Y- Coed?

Yes that’s the one 👍

There will be a choice of camping with or without electrical hook up or the pub. Also does B&B for those less adventurous!

The pub has great atmosphere, great food, drinks and also does a cracking breakfast.Also has proper pub games with a pool room and darts board .

This trip will be a leisurely one so we can all take in the views and do some great lanes. There will also be some quite lengthy Road stretches, so we can give everybody a taster of what Wales has to offer by getting down to strata Florida on the Sunday.

Please note that as with every trip greenlaning the route we will do will be subject to weather and any traffic restriction orders on the lanes at the time, so we cannot guarantee doing any particular lane until the days before

• Platinum Member

I'd definitely be up for this, the kids really enjoyed the Salisbury event. Id also be happy to lead a group providing I've got all the route details ahead of time.

Not sure how to respond to the poll

Edited by Hecklejk
  • Like 3

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, Volant165 said:

Exciting news!

@Chrisby & Mrs Volant are looking to run a JOC weekend Wales adventure on March 11th & 12th 2023!

The plan is to start in North Wales taking in a good amount of scenic lanes, stopping at the Y Giler Arms Saturday & finishing at Strata Florida Sunday. Let us know on the poll if you're up for attending &/or could help lead a group. 

Tickets when released will be limited & as always issued on a first come first serve basis.

Have a great day everyone!

Mrs V & team JOC 

Unfortunately I will not be available that weekend 😞 - Will be very jealous when I see the pics 🙂

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

Sounds really good, would love to come but am unable to commit right at this moment. I will have to see what my circumstances are when booking opens!

Have a gr8 time!

• Like 1

Back home on my computer now.  There is something odd going on in this thread for me.  I can't see how to vote, but others clearly can.  At the top it says 23 people have voted in the poll, but the 'bar' showing votes says 2 for Yes and 1 for No.  But when I click on the 'person' icon to see who has voted it shows loads of people, most from January, which must have been for a different poll.  Is it not showing me voting buttons because it thinks I have already voted???

• Platinum Member

This is great! I can’t remember the last time we had a club lanes trip in Wales other than summer camps, I am absolutely 100% up for this and would be OK to lead or share lead a group if needed.

…………However we are on duty looking after the grandkids that weekend and much as I’d like to bring them along I don’t think I can convince Mrs TimC that taking two under 4s camping in Mid Wales in March is a good idea 🥶😩😩. I can do later, if dates change them count me in but sadly, otherwise can’t go. I can help with planning if that is of any help. Let me know. Cheers, Tim

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
14 hours ago, TimC said:

This is great! I can’t remember the last time we had a club lanes trip in Wales other than summer camps, I am absolutely 100% up for this and would be OK to lead or share lead a group if needed.

…………However we are on duty looking after the grandkids that weekend and much as I’d like to bring them along I don’t think I can convince Mrs TimC that taking two under 4s camping in Mid Wales in March is a good idea 🥶😩😩. I can do later, if dates change them count me in but sadly, otherwise can’t go. I can help with planning if that is of any help. Let me know. Cheers, Tim

I'd second that, hopefully I'll be ok later if not in March!  I've booked Slindon and assuming I'm able to do it, after that would be fine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TimC said:

We’ll be doing more trips without a doubt during the year 👍

I’ll always plan to have camping at a site with other options as not everyone is like me and enjoys cold camping ⛺️ 

Definitely be good to get out with you and all help greatly appreciated 👍

• Platinum Member

Have to miss this one. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your point of view, I'll be in Benidorm! 

Have fun.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

As much as I would love to join, sadly its too short notice for me. I've used up all of my annual leave (it resets in April) Next event will be Slindon

• Sad 1

On 11/02/2023 at 09:54, Chrisby said:

We’ll be doing more trips without a doubt during the year 👍

I’ll always plan to have camping at a site with other options as not everyone is like me and enjoys cold camping ⛺️ 

Definitely be good to get out with you and all help greatly appreciated 👍

That is a good point, for me joining this event would be completely dependent on being able to get a room for the Saturday night.  It looks like my daughter is keen to attend and March camping is not something she would have any interest in.

• Platinum Member

Is this event going ahead? We would love to attend but convincing the Mrs that camping in March is a good thing may take some doing! 

• Platinum Member
On 11/02/2023 at 09:54, Chrisby said:

…..no one likes cold camping. However cold camping is not the same as camping in cold weather. The coldest I have been camping was in July, we were doing one night and it was a scorching day, so of course we didn’t take the right gear, when the sun went down the temperature plummeted and we had shorts  T shirts and the wrong sleeping bag. The coldest nights camping I’ve done. 

On the other hand camping in cold weather is great, especially mornings……….you do need to be prepared and have the right gear though

17BD847D-F512-417F-BD1B-66F333B705E2.jpeg

5DE54C58-3DF3-4789-B179-47685B2B2251.jpeg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
52 minutes ago, Hecklejk said:

Still can't seem to respond to the Polls for some reason

Hi Kevin, the stats on the poll shows that you have voted. Although the numbers next to the graph show only five votes if you tap on the numbers it shows all 25 people who have voted and you are on there. 👍

• Platinum Member
On 12/02/2023 at 17:36, Matthew said:

Is this event going ahead? We would love to attend but convincing the Mrs that camping in March is a good thing may take some doing! 

Yes. Just working on the final details 😊

• Platinum Member
On 13/02/2023 at 20:24, UKTJ said:

As per my post above, poll is broken, I think it is still counting all the votes for Salisbury.

Poll is working fine for me. There has been more than enough interest to run the event. Further details will be released in the next couple of days 😊

24 minutes ago, Volant165 said:

Poll is working fine for me. There has been more than enough interest to run the event. Further details will be released in the next couple of days 😊

Maybe my issue, maybe the administrator view is different, but when I look it shows me a lot of votes from early January.  No idea what is going on, but like some others I was unable to vote, as no buttons were visible.  But if you have the info you need then I guess no issue. 👍

• Volant165 changed the title to Wales Weekend Explorer - 11th & 12th March 2023
  • Chrisby changed the title to Wales Weekend Explorer - 11th & 12th March 2023 - Booking now open
  • Chrisby pinned this topic

Weekend booked, B&B booked (as far as I can see only 3 rooms left now for the Saturday night).

Any chance we could have the postcode of the expected end point?  I need to plan how I will get my daughter back to Uni at the end of the event.

Edited by UKTJ

28 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Weekend booked, B&B booked (as far as I can see only 3 rooms left now for the Saturday night).

Any chance we could have the postcode of the expected end point?  I need to plan how I will get my daughter back to Uni at the end of the event.

As long as things go to plan and there are no restrictions on the routes or excess rain closing the southernmost part of the lane , the nearest village to the end point is Abergwesyn .