TPMS question

Surfer

• Platinum Member

I checked my tyres regularly and they are are always more or less spot on.  Normal pressure is 2.4bar or 36psi.  No issue on Wednesday when I used the Jeep as al normal.  Today within 2 - 3 miles I get the attached flashed up on my screen.  This was morning and outside temperature 2C.  Three of them reading low although two of they are exactly the same as the one that is normal. Drove just over 100 miles and not much change except changing to 2.4 bar.

Took out the Ring compressor and set it to 2.4 bar.  All the tyres only required between 0.1 or 0.2 bar to come up to the 2.4 bar.  Surely it should not be that sensitive to pressure change.  In my 2012 Summit it needed to drop under 2 bar before you got the warning.

Anyone else come across this or any possible explanations?  Thanks.

Jeep TPMS query.jpg

• Platinum Member

Yeah, seems to happen all the time when it starts getting cold. Especially first thing in the morning. It's the weather!

• Platinum Member

Not had an issue on my Jeep, but my motorhome is a pain in the arse.

The pressures are high (+60psi in the rear) and I normally have to adjust them two or three times a year based on the ambient temperature. I seem to be adding air in the winter months and letting air out when spring and summer arrive 🙂

• Platinum Member
9 hours ago, Overlander21 said:

Not had an issue on my Jeep, but my motorhome is a pain in the arse.

The pressures are high (+60psi in the rear) and I normally have to adjust them two or three times a year based on the ambient temperature. I seem to be adding air in the winter months and letting air out when spring and summer arrive 🙂

That is understandable, but for a warning that is triggered when the difference is maximum of .2bar or 3psi cannot be right?  In this case the bar was 2.3 or 33psi instead of 2.4 bar or 36psi.  Not an issue, but was wondering about it as previous Jeep a Summit, the warning was only triggered if it dropped below 3-psi.  Same with caravan TPMS as only triggers if it dropped 5 or more psi.

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, Surfer said:

I checked my tyres regularly and they are are always more or less spot on.  Normal pressure is 2.4bar or 36psi.  No issue on Wednesday when I used the Jeep as al normal.  Today within 2 - 3 miles I get the attached flashed up on my screen.  This was morning and outside temperature 2C.  Three of them reading low although two of they are exactly the same as the one that is normal. Drove just over 100 miles and not much change except changing to 2.4 bar.

Took out the Ring compressor and set it to 2.4 bar.  All the tyres only required between 0.1 or 0.2 bar to come up to the 2.4 bar.  Surely it should not be that sensitive to pressure change.  In my 2012 Summit it needed to drop under 2 bar before you got the warning.

Jeep TPMS query.jpg

If you change it to psi, its less temperamental on the warnings. I run 35psi all around on mine. With temp change they dropped to 32psi which is still OK to run locally if you don't mind the start up notification. Just scrolling up on the steering wheel moves it off the menu. As long as all tyres are close to the same psi, I don't worry too much. 

To be honest, with my Mud Terrains I find the ride more enjoyable at around 32psi. 

So unless you have a real issue with a tyre, take that notification with a pinch of salt.

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Raakhee said:

If you change it to psi, its less temperamental on the warnings. I run 35psi all around on mine. With temp change they dropped to 32psi which is still OK to run locally if you don't mind the start up notification. Just scrolling up on the steering wheel moves it off the menu. As long as all tyres are close to the same psi, I don't worry too much. 

To be honest, with my Mud Terrains I find the ride more enjoyable at around 32psi. 

So unless you have a real issue with a tyre, take that notification with a pinch of salt.

Thanks for the above bit of advice.  Annoyingly yesterday afternoon after the vehicle had been sitting for about 2 hours and it was getting cold outside, I braved the cold and pumped up all the tyres to 2.5 bar which is just above 36psi, but today warning still on and all tyres showing exactly the same reading almost as it it is jammed onto those readings. 

• Platinum Member

An update.  With our stand alone TPMS if a tyre is low in pressure and you pump it up, it can take up to an hour before the new pressure is updated.  According to the supplier this is to conserve the batteries in the valve unit and the main unit.

I now suspect that Jeep have a similar system to preserve the battery in the valve stem except theirs take longer than the stand alone unit I have for the caravan.  On our 2005 Jeep I had to change one of the valves when the Jeep was about 12 years old at a cost of £90 each.

• Platinum Member

I've been watching this post. I have gr8 sympathy. 

For me TPMS is yet another, unnecessary, unwanted piece of junk that I have to pay for when I don't want or need it. Vested interest that has pushed through a useless piece of bad legislation.  IMO these things are a pain to people ,like us, who take the time and trouble to look after their cars and driving skills properly.

For me , with various cars, all they have done is cause cost and agro.  The last time I had a blow out, they did nothing. No warning ,no anything!! So, what contribution to safety do they contribute for people who check their tyre pressures, very little!!!

I would like to buy one more new car whilst I am physically able. The one thing that holds me back is unwanted, unnecessary junk that I have to pay for. 

Edited by digger
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

To be honest @digger, I'm with you. As a driver, you need to be aware of what peak performance feels like in your vehicle. I generally don't check my TPMS unless I feel the Jeep is riding a bit off. At Walters I had aired down to 20psi and was running that for 3 days. On road as well, to and from the site. Yes, the notification flashed up each time I started but I ignored it. The Jeep did not brake down.

Another annoying feature is that loud beep I get from the blind spot detection when I want to turn on my indicator to change lanes. I know there is a car there, I'm waiting for it to pass so that I can slot in behind it. No need to give me a heart attack 🫤

Foward Collision warning, this brakes for you. I've turned that to the minimum setting as it slammed the brakes the one time almost causing an accident. 

Lane sense. This stays off as well as it yanked my steering and almost made me go into a parked car on the curb. 

Stop/Start also goes off when I start up. I don't understand why a vehicle that's built for off roading will have this. I don't use it as I have so many roundabouts and traffic lights in a short distance it will take me forever to go anywhere. 

There probably is more but these features make you a complacent driver which contributes to accidents. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Sorry @Surfer, didn't mean to hijack your post. Best you change to psi setting, air up to 35/36psi. Unless you have a tyre that is losing air, you OK to run down to 32psi with no issues. With the weather getting colder, I'd take that TPMS warning lightly. You don't want to be out there messing with the compressor everyday.

• Platinum Member

We tow a twin axle caravan and TPMS is essential for us.  We had it fitted for the caravan after we had a blow out on one of the tyres and another driver had to advise us of the flat tyre.  TPMS is there to warn you of a potential blow out perhaps due to loss of pressure which cause the tyre walls to flex, build up heat and then blow. 

Generally many folk are lazy and never check their tyre pressures from month to month never mind weekly.  We have all seen nasty accidents resulting in death due to blow outs and these deaths may have been prevented in some cases.

IMHO TPMS should have been mandatory in the latter part of the 20th century.  As for many of the other gizmos i.e. warning you when you are lane changing, automatic braking, parking it for you etc. if you need those gizmos then maybe you should not be driving a vehicle at all?

• Platinum Member
34 minutes ago, Raakhee said:

Another annoying feature is that loud beep I get from the blind spot detection

You can change that in the menus @Raakhee from "Lights & Chime" to just "Lights" 🙂 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
On 02/12/2022 at 16:27, Surfer said:

Jeep TPMS query.jpg

I was just about to post the very same question. Driving my JL to Germany yesterday and the warning light come on for back right rear. Then all flashed as being low. Stopped to add air, very little needed. All now around 2.5 bar.  All still red. 

my questions are how do you reset? Unlike wifeys fiat where you could reset in the settings menu I don’t think there is the option on the JL?  If it needs dealer visit how much damage will I be doing to drive with the warning light on for the rest of the week?

• Platinum Member
8 minutes ago, fen01 said:

I was just about to post the very same question. Driving my JL to Germany yesterday and the warning light come on for back right rear. Then all flashed as being low. Stopped to add air, very little needed. All now around 2.5 bar.  All still red. 

my questions are how do you reset? Unlike wifeys fiat where you could reset in the settings menu I don’t think there is the option on the JL?  If it needs dealer visit how much damage will I be doing to drive with the warning light on for the rest of the week?

i think the sensors on the tyres only send a signal to the main unit once every 30 or 60 minutes to save the battery in the sensor. it eventually goes off.  if it is still on when you park up for the night, it will probably be there in the morning however after several miles it disappears?

• Platinum Member
57 minutes ago, Surfer said:

i think the sensors on the tyres only send a signal to the main unit once every 30 or 60 minutes to save the battery in the sensor. it eventually goes off.  if it is still on when you park up for the night, it will probably be there in the morning however after several miles it disappears?

Just checked and it’s still on, even swapping from BAR to PSI. We did about 120miles after it came on yesterday..

I have seen where they say you need to drive at 50 for around 10 minutes to reset it.  Has anyone tried this?

I'm hoping it’s just the temperature difference, they’ve had snow here and it’s about 3 degrees colder than the uk. 

• Platinum Member
3 minutes ago, fen01 said:

Just checked and it’s still on, even swapping from BAR to PSI. We did about 120miles after it came on yesterday..

I have seen where they say you need to drive at 50 for around 10 minutes to reset it.  Has anyone tried this?

I'm hoping it’s just the temperature difference, they’ve had snow here and it’s about 3 degrees colder than the uk. 

Where is here?  🤔

• Platinum Member
30 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Where is here?  🤔

Middle of the Ardennes Forest, about 90minutes south of Cologne 

• Platinum Member
11 minutes ago, fen01 said:

Middle of the Ardennes Forest, about 90minutes south of Cologne 

Very nice and is on our bucket list to visit Germany at some point.  👍😀

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, Surfer said:

We tow a twin axle caravan and TPMS is essential for us.  We had it fitted for the caravan after we had a blow out on one of the tyres and another driver had to advise us of the flat tyre.  TPMS is there to warn you of a potential blow out perhaps due to loss of pressure which cause the tyre walls to flex, build up heat and then blow. 

Generally many folk are lazy and never check their tyre pressures from month to month never mind weekly.  We have all seen nasty accidents resulting in death due to blow outs and these deaths may have been prevented in some cases.

IMHO TPMS should have been mandatory in the latter part of the 20th century.  As for many of the other gizmos i.e. warning you when you are lane changing, automatic braking, parking it for you etc. if you need those gizmos then maybe you should not be driving a vehicle at all?

I agree with your point re trailers. I've never had TPMS on a trailer but I've had the problems and can see your point. You never know when you have a flat, especially on a four wheeler.

I agree with para 2. I just don't see why I have to suffer for people who don't do these things. Let's face it there are plenty out there who don't even know how to open the bonnet and who have never even opened the handbook of their new car. No wonder manufacturers see no manual as a cost saving exercise!

I think TPMS has been mandatory on all new cars since 2015(I think the date is right). I agree totally re gizmos. Raakee is right ,they generate complacency.  I support business and  have been in business in various ways all my life. However ,I object to being forced to pay for something I do not want or need, more often than not as a result of lobbying by big companies or extremist groups (like the selfish folk trying to ban green laning ) I also think it is appalling that the vast number of car drivers have never done any further learning or shown any interest in driving properly since their driving test!! 

Long ago when I took a Test,one was taught to use common sense and initiative. People respected the police much more because when they stopped you they could use common sense regarding any offense one may have committed.  Today , that's out of the window, its about cameras etc acting without discrimination to circumstances and prosecuting you , without defence, regardless of their accuracy, mainly for revenue purposes.

Edited by digger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, digger said:

I agree with your point re trailers. I've never had TPMS on a trailer but I've had the problems and can see your point. You never know when you have a flat, especially on a four wheeler.

I agree with para 2. I just don't see why I have to suffer for people who don't do these things. Let's face it there are plenty out there who don't even know how to open the bonnet and who have never even opened the handbook of their new car. No wonder manufacturers see no manual as a cost saving exercise!

I think TPMS has been mandatory on all new cars since 2015(I think the date is right). I agree totally re gizmos. Raakee is right ,they generate complacency.  I support business and  have been in business in various ways all my life. However ,I object to being forced to pay for something I do not want or need, more often than not as a result of lobbying by big companies or extremist groups (like the selfish folk trying to ban green laning ) I also think it is appalling that the vast number of car drivers have never done any further learning or shown any interest in driving properly since their driving test!! 

Long ago when I took a Test,one was taught to use common sense and initiative. People respected the police much more because when they stopped you they could use common sense regarding any offense one may have committed.  Today , that's out of the window, its about cameras etc acting without discrimination to circumstances and prosecuting you , without defence, regardless of their accuracy, mainly for revenue purposes.

I am very happy my daughter has TPMS on her little Vauxhall Corsa.  Yes, she should check her tyre pressures regularly, but I know she is unlikely to do so.  So, as I say, I am happy that this safety feature is on her car to warn her if her tyres need air.  Out of interest her Corsa updates the pressures as soon as air is added to the tyres, so it sounds like that system is better in that respect than the one Jeep uses.  As far as I am aware she also has no issues with any cold weather effects.

As for you paying for things you don't want @digger, my guess is that standardising it may well be saving you money.  Complexity is a major driver of cost in vehicle manufacture.  I used to work at Ford and at one point found out that it would reduce the cost of all Fiesta models to standardise the alloy wheels from the Ghia across the range.  This was down to procurement savings and reduced manufacturing complexity.  The reason for not standardising was purely to create a difference that people could be required to pay for.  If a lot of the now stangard 'gizmos' were made optional, with many, many combinations and therefore significant complexity created, you may find even a fully 'de-gizmo'ed' version you may choose costing more, not less than now.  I suspect you are getting many of these items for less than zero pounds.

Edited by UKTJ

• Platinum Member

My TPMS is quite responsive to airing up and down. I don't drive much as I work from home. So mph or distance is not a factor to reset it for me. It was the same on my Renegade as well. 

@Surfer I've never towed a trailer but I can see how important a functioning TPMS would be for them. 

People have different driving styles and pay attention to different things.

I was taught on a manual by an ex SAS officer (he was scary as sh!t) to listen to the vehicle responses and to learn what normal sounds and feels like. So all these new gadgets are sometimes more a bother to me.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
57 minutes ago, Raakhee said:

I was taught on a manual by an ex SAS officer (he was scary as sh!t) to listen to the vehicle responses and to learn what normal sounds and feels like. So all these new gadgets are sometimes more a bother to me.

🙂 Listening and responding becomes instinctively normal so that you are no longer aware that you are doing it when driving.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

…….and if you don’t like the TPMS you can always disable it. Various software will do it, also the AEV Procal I think. I have no sensors fitted on my Mud tyres/ wheels so I’ve disabled it with JScan for when I have these on. When I have the original wheels with the ATs on I enable it.

• Like 5

• Platinum Member

TPMS update. It cleared itself without me doing anything; it was suggested I over inflate, drive for a while and then drop pressure to correct PSI.

got in the Jeep light was on.  Got out hour later light was off and hasn’t come on since.   All very odd

• Like 1