Leaking jlu

Tony

• Platinum Member

Hi all,Can’t believe I’m talking about this with a JL,after all the problems I’ve had with water leaks in my 2 JKs I now have the same problem in my JLU,anyone had issues/remedyies for the problem.

95A5529B-6BE7-4096-B264-A22E06020C85.jpeg

• Platinum Member
18 minutes ago, tedthefed said:

Is it coming in when the doors open or down the A pillar area 

Hi,can’t see anything yet.the doors were closed when the water got in,think I’m going to get a hose pipe on it and take a look.

Have you had the freedom panels off?

May be worth taking them off, wiping all the seals down, refit both panels then do the fastenings, drivers side first then passenger side.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Hi,

After a summer of leak free soft top use, I recently put the hard top back on and found a terrible leak on the passenger side. I remove the corner trim pictured and put some clear sealant behind it. This has held up to our recent weather. 

Not sure if this is the same location you are talking about.

Regards

Ian

IMG_3576.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

There appear to be 3 areas where water ingress happens; dripping from the rain gutter when the door is opened (I find this an annoyance but live with it); leaks from the freedom panels (common with the JK but haven't heard much grumbling on the JL) and through the scuttle area under the vents at the base of the windscreen. The last one is usually caused by a build of leaves and crud stopping it draining properly.

I used a rubber lubricant quite religiously on my JK seals but to little avail.  Only with the soft top was it fully waterproof (the irony!)

• Platinum Member

A few years ago I think it was frosty who said to use silicone grease on the rubber seals,it tried this and never had a leak again on my JK,so I’ll give this a go on the JL.

ls this the only vehicle that doesn’t have seals on the bodywork ,though Jeep would of learnt a lesson after the ongoing saga with the JK.

• Platinum Member

For the water coming in via the rain gutter when opening the front doors , there’s a TSB for additional parts to be fitted. 

• Administrators

When putting the hardtop back on just make sure you wipe All the rubber parts and those corner rubbers Mucket Seals i used a rubber cleaner conditioner myself just a small about of dirt can cause the seals to let by door seals included ! The rubbers also eventually go hard but you wouldn't expect that in a short while!