Accurate....

doodle

• Platinum Member

I know it's not the theme of the video, but I'm really tempted by a magnuson supercharger, the 3.6 Pentastar has no torque and it just seem so wrong to rev the nuts off the engine to go anywhere.  In a head wind it won't even hold top gear!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

17 minutes ago, jeepstertim said:

I know it's not the theme of the video, but I'm really tempted by a magnuson supercharger, the 3.6 Pentastar has no torque and it just seem so wrong to rev the nuts off the engine to go anywhere.  In a head wind it won't even hold top gear!

Love the thought of the a supercharger...I mean a V8 is the bomb but a whine of a charger is heaven 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
On 24/10/2022 at 09:30, doodle said:

Love the thought of the a supercharger...I mean a V8 is the bomb but a whine of a charger is heaven 

Quite a few discussions on turbo charging on the US TJ forum I frequent.  Seems flavour of the month over supercharging at the moment.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
On 24/10/2022 at 09:11, jeepstertim said:

Superchargers and cu inches are gr8. Punchy torque right from the off. I've often thought about the lack of torque at the bottom end with my 4.0L inline. 

Petrol engines tend to have lighter flywheels to allow them to rev more. The problem is that the lighter the flywheel is the narrower the powerband. For this reason I have thought about fitting a heavier fly wheel.  One might consider fitting a bolted /welded ring to the front face, assuming there is room. Otherwise one might have to make a new one from billet. I think this would work , subject to calculating the weight required. There would be a penalty of the loss of some top end rpm I suspect. However if you couple that up with a blower or a stroker the result should be exciting especially at the bottom end and mid range.

• Platinum Member
11 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Quite a few discussions on turbo charging on the US TJ forum I frequent.  Seems flavour of the month over supercharging at the moment.

My understanding has always been if you want sheer punch right from the off its a blower every time (drag racers) bearing in mind the mechanical power losses.

However if mpg is of any concern then the turbo offers much more flexibility as to when the power arrives and it is much more mechanically efficient. I built a turbo V8 many years ago, pre technology, which allowed max boost at a fairly low rpm(about 1500 I think). An inlet pressure controlled  'wastegate(dump) valve' with water /methanol injection prevented the motor blowing up as speed increased. It worked brilliantly, providing one 'revved up' on the start line. However the fuel consumption  went to a frighteningly low level!!!

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, digger said:

I've often thought about the lack of torque at the bottom end with my 4.0L inline

I am surprised at that. Both of mine are great for low to mid torque, but they are automatics.

I've driven a 3.6L JK immediately after driving my 4.0L and noticed how much I had got used to the 4.0L . Have you got used to driving a big diesel?

• Platinum Member
26 minutes ago, V said:

I am surprised at that. Both of mine are great for low to mid torque, but they are automatics.

I've driven a 3.6L JK immediately after driving my 4.0L and noticed how much I had got used to the 4.0L . Have you got used to driving a big diesel?

I think some of that is my problem, other car is a diesel twin turbo Audi SQ5.

Several of the US Gladiator owners report MPG improving with the SC, particularly if they had fitted 37" tyres.

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, jeepstertim said:

other car is a diesel twin turbo Audi SQ5

We had one of those. After it was properly run-in I got to use all of what it had. I reckon it was better than any petrol V12 or V8 that I have owned or driven before. It's a car that really screws up your perception of a reasonable benchmark.

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, V said:

Um, you could be right, my GC pulls like a train!!  

How'd you like my heavier flywheel idea?

I don't know how heavy the 4L flywheel is. Older motors (eg XK Jag) had an enormous flywheel, i wonder how it would compare. they didn't rev a lot but they did pull. I did have one (3.8 mk 2) with a lightened fly wheel in it. it would have been gr8 on the track but wasn't so hot on the road because revving it more screwed up the handling especially in the wet!!

• Platinum Member

I think we have had this conversation before in real life. I had a Hesco aluminium flywheel and kevlar clutch in the TJ and it was a fantastic mod for rock crawling with a manual transmission. Instantaneous response from the hand throttle for both engine speed up and engine slow down. For someone that prefers automatics, it was a mod that gave the Jeep it's own special character. I miss it.

A heavier flywheel would mean that revs wouldn't decay quickly. This might be a problem in some situations off road where you are balancing position on the clutch with revs and having to lift off and shift down a gear quickly before rolling off the obstacle. I'm thinking more in the way of unexpected driveline breakages.

The TJ's original equipment flywheel warped when driven in low ratio, which was frequently for that Jeep. Every time it warped it wore out a bit more of the 1st and 2nd gear synchros in the NV3550. It got to the point where the Jeep would jump out of 2nd gear on it's own accord at the worst time when using low ratio. The early warning sign of the problem was a difficulty to engage 1st and 2nd gear on the first drive of the day or when the transmission was cold. I had the Hesco flywheel, flex-plate, kevlar clutch and front CPS fitted when the brand new NV3550 was installed. Never had a problem with it afterwards despite much harder use of the Jeep for another six years. Mark Gasser (deceased) identified the fault before installing his third new NV3550 and kindly told me what the fix was after hearing of the mishap the TJ had at Walter's Arena.

Edited by V
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member
On 26/10/2022 at 19:08, V said:

I think we have had this conversation before in real life. I had a Hesco aluminium flywheel and kevlar clutch in the TJ and it was a fantastic mod for rock crawling with a manual transmission. Instantaneous response from the hand throttle for both engine speed up and engine slow down. For someone that prefers automatics, it was a mod that gave the Jeep it's own special character. I miss it.

A heavier flywheel would mean that revs wouldn't decay quickly. This might be a problem in some situations off road where you are balancing position on the clutch with revs and having to lift off and shift down a gear quickly before rolling off the obstacle. I'm thinking more in the way of unexpected driveline breakages.

The TJ's original equipment flywheel warped when driven in low ratio, which was frequently for that Jeep. Every time it warped it wore out a bit more of the 1st and 2nd gear synchros in the NV3550. It got to the point where the Jeep would jump out of 2nd gear on it's own accord at the worst time when using low ratio. The early warning sign of the problem was a difficulty to engage 1st and 2nd gear on the first drive of the day or when the transmission was cold. I had the Hesco flywheel, flex-plate, kevlar clutch and front CPS fitted when the brand new NV3550 was installed. Never had a problem with it afterwards despite much harder use of the Jeep for another six years. Mark Gasser (deceased) identified the fault before installing his third new NV3550 and kindly told me what the fix was after hearing of the mishap the TJ had at Walter's Arena.

That sounds like the issue I've had with my NV for years. Swapped out all sorts of things. Had it rebuilt etc .

I get to the point where i cant engage 1st or any gear at times. Then after a while it would behave itself.

I'm running a Centre force clutch and fly wheel. I'm on my second master and slave cylinders. Just became a ball ache and fed up spendng money trying to resolve it

• Platinum Member

Um, lots of food for thought for me.  Thanks, must look into this more. Its interesting to me how different uses mean different requirements.