Sway bar YJ? part and info?

digger

• Platinum Member

Does any one have a front sway (anti roll bar)  for a wrangler YJ please?

Does any one know If the bar on any other Jeep is the same part?

Thanks

• Platinum Member

I think the YJ front swaybar may be unique to the YJ. The CJ and TJ swaybar may be a possible conversion to look into.

The stock bar was usually 24mm diameter, but other diameters were also produced (23mm, 25mm, 26mm, 28mm and 29mm) depending on year and trim.

Addco still sell an upgrade front swaybar (29mm).

• Platinum Member

Thanks V. I think you are right, it is unique to a YJ. I'll check the diameter.

The thing is, mine is slightly bent. When placed on a flat surface the one end is about an inch higher than the other. Its been like it since I had the car. I've gotten away with it because the quick disconnects have adjustable length arms! They are actually rubbish and I would like to get some decent ones. Suggestions re good make appreciated? 

I've tried  to cold straighten it but without success (shame I left my JCB in France). I've considered heating it up with a torch but I think localised heating will mess it up because it will change the temper in that one place(comments). The only other option I've considered is standing it up in an oil drum with a good fire around it until it is evenly red , and then straightening it. Maybe cool/ retemper in a hot oil bath ,then let the whole thing cool down slowly. I've done something similar years ago with springs and they seemed ok. However ,back then I had the drum and oil bath etc which I haven't now, so it would be a lot of hastle.  The bars  are not that easy to come by but that's the route I'm trying now.

Any views re all this welcome

Edited by digger

• Platinum Member

You could send it to a firm that makes leaf springs or torsion springs in-house. They would have the capability to reshape, heat treat and possible shot peen it.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

That's a gr8 idea!  Just need to find a reputable company to do it. anybody any thoughts?

I took some leaf springs about 5 years ago to be retempered etc to a company in Wolverhampton. The blighters just cold bent them! When I pointed out that the springs still had my  paint on them, so couldn't possibly have been in their furnace which I could see, we had a row!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

I think I may have one. I’ll have to have a hunt around.

I’ve used Midland Road Spring and they seemed good. Not sure if they’ll do an anti roll bar but worth a call.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Hi Rich,

Thanks fo your reply/offer. Unfortunitely I've ordered one from the states, due this weekend.

Sorry I missed you before you left Whitecliff. Do get in touch if you are over my way. I'm going off the road for my winter refit for a while from now .