Wanted: An old pair of wheels for moving an axle

V

• Platinum Member

I need two 15" or 16" Jeep wheels with 5 on 4.5" PCD to help me easily move my Ford axle around on the ground.

Anything condition will do, even buckled, broken and badly corroded. I don't need tyres.

YJ & TJ, Wranglers, XJ and KJ Cherokees, ZJ Grand Cherokee all have the bolt pattern I need.

Other makes with same bolt pattern

• Platinum Member
Overlander21

If you don't have any luck V, recommend a small square of wood at each end and stick three cheap castors on the bottom of each block in a triangle pattern.

Or stick four castors on an old cut down pallet 🙂

• Platinum Member

Hi V, I could probably get you some from my favourite scrappie but its the cost of getting them to you. Say if you want this.

When I did my axles I made up a ' simple' (I think one side had to be higher than the other) rectangle shape which sat snugly on a trolley jack top. Once the axle was in place I put a lever wedge strap (blue in pic) around to make sure it couldn't fall off and 'Bob's your uncle'! Actually the picture is a cheat. I tried it first, as in picture, with a wood wedge only at front and strapped it on. I thought it would fall off so I made the rectangle but I have no pic!!!   As you know I lifted it up onto a bench with a couple of pulleys  so I didn't get backache and could keep everything clean. On the bench was a timber rest upon which I could revolve the casing. I  also stood the casings on axle stands but you need to be able to stop the casing rotating (wooden prop in pic).   The blue tarps are just to cover up with when I was not working on them. I wasn't strong enough to get them in my workshop so I made a workbench top to fit on my trailer which worked really well.

Hope this helps.

.IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.3304d671a571326758a44623bc85aa74.JPGIMG_1212.thumb.JPG.ee50e371e25a81ce576a9c622d8c792d.JPGIMG_1186.thumb.JPG.55d644344236f2841a19fdb177767dce.JPGIMG_1204.thumb.JPG.c6ccfb56c536ceeb69da38f73fabd54a.JPG

Edited by digger

• Platinum Member

I have got the axle stowed on axle stands at the moment. I think it may be worthwhile making a wood or angle iron trolley to hold the axle while I am working on it. I have a lot of brackets to cut off and new brackets and a truss to weld on that is not going to get done in one day. I will need to roll it around between storage and workspace. A trolley that can clamp the axle in any rotation would be very handy. One that can also raise the axle to working height would be even better. I guess a trolley for my axles is my next project.

• Platinum Member

How about one of those wheel barrows with two wheels at the front. Axle lengthways you could use timber to level the top and provide surface to revolve on.

Just a thought!

• Platinum Member

Everything Facebook (Meta) is blocked on my network including tracking buttons so I am unable to look.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I've remembered how I clamped mine to stop it moving/rotating. Simple idea that worked well. Might give you another that works for you.

I wound a 'lever wedge strap once around axle tube and then under the trailer and back up to the other end of the axle tube. Pull tight  - solid! I put a towel pad under the tube on the stands to prevent paint damage (you can see that in the pic above, the black strap can just be seen at the far end in front of the brake and at the near end you can see a black vertical line).

Edited by digger

• Platinum Member

That's a shame...there's some good deals to be had in their market place at times...

Lots of odd wheels etc. 

12 hours ago, V said:

Everything Facebook (Meta) is blocked on my network including tracking buttons so I am unable to look.

• Platinum Member

Did you find any? 

How much are you looking to spend ? He wanted 220 for these. Think it's 4x

These lopped up locally to me - I can ask if still available?

Screenshot_20221012-173419.png

Screenshot_20221012-173403.png

Edited by doodle

• Platinum Member

Thanks for looking. I am after something really cheap close to scrap. I can get some steel discs plasma cut with the bolt pattern for a reasonable price and attach a wooden disc made of plywood and softwood to get the rolling radius that I need. In the last ten years I have probably scrapped ten wheels that I could of used for this.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Interesting idea, I like it!  Couldn't you just cut two wooden discs out of a decent sheet of marine ply? Or maybe glue a couple of wooden discs together if the original sheet wasn't thick enough on its own.

• Platinum Member

There is not much material around the studs, but it is worth a try. I have another project that I need to buy plywood for soon so I will see what scrap is left from that and give it a go.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

How fast do want them? When's dyno day? I can almost certainly get a couple of old steels from u know where.

• Platinum Member

My immediate problem is over, and it would be better for me to make a trolley that I can use to move the axle around and work on it without the diff and axle shafts installed. Rolling it around on wheels needs axle shafts and a differential.

I have not forgotten dyno day, still hoping for November, I just got a bit busy on other stuff.

• Platinum Member

I think i've seen some ready made commercial trolleys in factories that could be easily modified. You could probably pick up a throw out or something for very little and modify it!  Just a thought! 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I am going to make a steel trolley with swivel wheels. I haven't finalised a design yet but it needs to be suitable for both my Ford 8.8 and Dana 30. It also needs to be both a jig and a fixture for when I cut the knuckles off the D30 to rotate the pinion up for sleeving and welding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

If it helps, I’m pretty sure a freelancer has the bolt pattern you need. Maybe able to find some steel wheels to roll around on.