Today I (finally) bought a metal bumper

Overlander21

• Platinum Member

Today I have been discovering the joys(?) of shiply.com as I've bought a metal bumper to replace the two foot wide plastic step that's currently attached to the front of my JL.

Needs a lick of paint and a bit of  TLC before fitting.  And those red hooks need to go blue, they'd keep me awake at night otherwise 🙈

It also has all six holes for the parking sensors so I won't need to tazer anything. Handy, as I don't own a tazer yet.

image.jpeg.af65d236220d9e188d7e580149bb7bcc.jpeg

image.jpeg.c88d1931989c4cf3264793f52394e8a2.jpeg

Should keep me busy for a few winter evenings 😊

• Like 2

Do you need the Tazer? I've used jscan with an obd reader and the Chrysler 12+8 lead.

£100 in total. Quite a good tool for the money.

The obd reader can be bought cheaper through aliexpress, but I was impatient. 😆

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I don't need one at all, it's just one of the many gadgets on my Christmas list 😄

I have a "OBD JScan" app on my iPad which I used to have hooked up to my old Dodge via a ELM Wifi OBDII connector, I guess that'd also work on my JL? 🤔

Edited by Overlander21

• Platinum Member

That front bumper has kinda grown on me. May keep it for a while. It serves it's purpose to rest on when out and about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, Raakhee said:

That front bumper has kinda grown on me. May keep it for a while. It serves it's purpose to rest on when out and about. 

Your front bumper has grown?!? I didn't it would be possible for it to get any bigger 😂

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Out of interest, any tips on how to treat the hardware?

You'll see from the photos that the Allen-head bolts have got minor surface rust on them.  It was my intention to reassemble the bumper (it's being shipped to me in three pieces) then spray it all in one go.

How would you treat the rusty bolts?  Or should I just try to find new ones somewhere?

I'd get replacements from a chandlers (boats often use zinc plated or stainless bolts). Or an iron mongers (fastener company) can supply coated or plated bolts which offer better corrosion protection and look good. 

Amazon too

Edited by Ludders
Forgot link! Doh!
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, frosty said:

if you are putting a winch on it, make sure you use H8 bolts on the frame attachment points. 

That's good advice. Grade 8 bolts will have '8.8' on the head, a lower number means less strong. Grade 8 fasteners are made from high tensile steel. Stainless steel has a lower breaking strain so don't use them for attaching a winch or tow hooks to the bumper or the bumper to the chassis. Stainless is not a like for like swap based on strength. Any of the other fasteners securing cosmetic parts like trim, covers, end caps, lamp bar can be replaced with stainless steel versions.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, Overlander21 said:

How would you treat the rusty bolts?

Any bolts bolts under 10mm diameter that have corroded threads are probably best replaced although wire brushing the threads and using copperslip on them will ensure they can be removed in future with less risk of breakage.

You could use electrolysis to electroplate in reverse by transferring the rust from the bolts to a sacrificial piece of steel.

Alternatively, just wire brush the fasteners as clean as you can. Install them to the required tightness. Then mask up around them and spray paint them in situ. The paint will get chipped off if you ever have to use a tool on them afterwards.

• Like 1