Burst a heater hose coupling

V

• Platinum Member

I noticed steam coming from under my '93 XJ when pulling away from a traffic light. When I looked at my temperature gauge and it was in the too hot zone. I lost almost 6 litres of coolant over my engine in the short time it took to pull over safely. That's about half of the total capacity. The hose had not burst, a 'T' piece 3-way coupling that diverts hot water from the heater circuit around my LPG vaporiser had burst. It is not the first time this has happened. The original component installed by my LPG installer failed the same way within a year. The replacement I fitted has lasted 21 years with another T of the same type in the other hose.

After spending the afternoon walking around car, truck and tractor parts stores, a few hardware and plumbers merchants, I eventually managed to source a replacement part from a boat chandlers. I have now got a brass T in the heater hose. I bought two as I will be replacing all of the hoses when I have located replacements. While repairing the damage I found it easier to sit on the front of my engine but I hadn't noticed when I jumped off that the I had accidentally moved the radiator vent hose that goes to the expansion tank. It was gradually being cut through by the top pulley while I was checking for leaks with the engine running. I found a push button biro in the car and when disassembled the inner plastic body was just the right diameter to serve as a connecting tube. I rejoined both halves of the vent pipe and drove home.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Why not replace with silicone hoses where possible. I don't know  if you can get the moulded ones for a Jeep but I've found they are more reliable than rubber.

I used to keep a piece of old hose ,silicone (super glue or CT1 today) and duct tape for emergency repairs. Its amazing how long it will last to get you home.

As a matter of interest I have repaired many radiators with body filler both on the road and 'between races!  Providing you clean and degrease well it lasts as long as the rad, even though one may have to make the hole a bit bigger to get the filler in properly.  The first (dare I say it, landy) 4x4  I bought in 1972 was a 1955 SWB . It wasn't until many months later that I found out it had had a cracked block which had been botched with filler. It never leaked for my couple of years ownership and was still going strong when I sold it!! 

I hope this helps someone!

Those were the days!! 😀

• Platinum Member

Other get you home dodges are use the heater hoses to by pass the heater or use some thick polythene or tarp to block off the pipe and stop heater circulation that way!

I know you know these dodges V but there are probably folk who don't!

• Platinum Member

I had a brake shoe plier with me that had one end that was just the right diameter for a hose plug and I also had a marker pen body that when cut up could have been a pipe joiner. I had cleaned the Jeep out earlier in the year and didn't have much else on board to MacGyver a solution. I called home to say I would be late and got the offer of a lift into town so went straight to a better fix.