Took it out for a spin

Andyben

• Platinum Member
On 22/10/2022 at 16:39, digger said:

Many thanks. 👍

Had my mechanic round today as all fuel tank parts and new power steeing pump n pulley arrived.

Look like some bushes perished at rear so will need to sort soon.

He said he previously fitted a BMW 4.4V8 and gearbox from an X5 into his mates TJ, and he has a Range Rover L322(?) with same power train available if I fancied an engine swap,what do you think @V

He also said don't switch out anything from stock,including the seats, until is been throu DVS so may be a little while for the seats @digger

• Platinum Member

I am definitely not the best person to ask about anything BMW. We have just recently parted with an X3 and we won't be buying another BMW ever again. I was open minded to it, it just didn't like us.

As far as I know the X5 has the front output shaft on the correct side for a TJ but the combined length of BMW engine, transmission and transfer case could be a lot longer which would make the rear propshaft a challenge. Again in my limited knowledge of the X5, I believe it has an AWD transfer case not a 4WD with low ratio. Putting an AWD transfer case in a Jeep would make it a street-only vehicle which may influence buyer interest if you ever decide to sell it. If the transmission is made by ZF, if it ever needs to be replaced or need new electronics, BMW have to authorise it. The engine and transmission are security coded together. It is not possible to just buy a transmission from a breaker and bolt it on without BMW's authorisation. I don't know if this also applies to BMW engines with a GM transmission, I suspect not. The transfer case actuator can strip teeth off of its plastic gear rendering it 2wd. It's not an expensive or difficult fix just something to replace before installing in your Jeep.

You should ask if you can have a test ride/drive in the BMW TJ. If you like what has been done and how it performs, there's someone that is likely to have already dealt with any issues you would be likely to face should you decide to go ahead.

I would be interested in how the BMW conversion dealt with the TJ's instruments. Other complexities are ABS, air-con, power steering (I have just learned there is a big difference between rack and pinion pumps and steering box pumps).

It would be very interesting to see photos/video of the BMW TJ if the owner wants to show any.

• Platinum Member

Sorry if I wasnt clear, @v, I'd be getting an engine and 'box from a Range Rover which shares the basoc engine with the BMW. 

• Platinum Member

I thought that could be the case, it will certainly be a ZF transmission coming from a Range Rover donor. It would be worth enquiring if JLR enforce the same engine ECU to gearbox ECU authorisation policy that BMW's have. Having to take a Jeep on a trailer to a Land Rover dealer to beg them to electronically authorise a replacement transmission wouldn't be something I would enjoy doing. I don't like unscrupulous practices like these but people are still willing to lease new vehicles with them so manufacturers get away with it. The policy hinders the used parts market. Your Jeep would be forever bound to a JLR/BMW business policy that you don't have any control over. For me personally, its a risk I would not be prepared to take. And I am happy to boycott a brand forever over the issue. 🤫

• Platinum Member

A 4.0L Lexus V8 has a similar transmission to the XJ Cherokee. The Toyota V8 engine has it's own standalone engine management wiring harness making swaps easier. The 2wd Lexus A340 transmission can be swapped for a Cherokee's 4wd A340/AW4 which will bolt up to the NP231 transfer case in your Jeep. The XJ transmission is longer than the TJ's but the Toyota/Lexus V8 is shorter than the Jeep 4.0L . A swap to a 4.0L 1UZ-FE or 4.7L 2UZ-FE from a Lexus or Toyota Land Cruiser donor is worth considering.

• Platinum Member
52 minutes ago, JimC said:

Has anyone ever fitted a 4.7 V8 from a WJ into a TJ in the UK?

I don't know. It's been done a few times in the USA. Those that I have read about took the automatic transmission, wiring and instrument cluster from the Grand Cherokee donor. Not exactly a pretty swap and more difficult than a LS swap if you have LS engines in your locality.

If you coupled it to a manual transmission and dumped the original ECU for a Megasquirt or similar it might be a different prospect. But if you did that the vehicle receiving the transplant would probably have to be pre EOBD (1st Jan 2001) to avoid BIVA test and Q plates.