Took it out for a spin

Andyben

• Platinum Member

I noticed something when I looked at the last photo that you posted of your Jeep. The daylight above the exhaust pipe looks a bit odd. I did wonder if I was looking at a drain cover in the car park, but the level of the tip and the pipe are different which would make a peculiar shape if it were a drain cover.

missing-fuel-tank.png.b2aff41c5edc02626c962ecf5673b923.png

Here is a screen grab from a chassis repair video that shows how the fuel tank hangs lower than the frame rail. The exhaust is on the other side and the tank obscures the view of most of the tailpipe. If the picture was taken from the other side, the tank would obscure the daylight that is visible in the picture above.

wrangler-fuel-tank.png.27a8b8c47c04d3e628f1b3386e8da4e3.png  

Now there can be a few reasons why a previous owner would install a fuel tank in the tub - safety not being one of them. However, if you are taking the Jeep to a body shop for a check over, ask them to check for rear end collision damage. Sometimes, you can see this yourself if there is a slight bulge or ripple in the frame rail in the over axle section.

What are your plans for your Jeep? Are you going to keep it as-is or modify it further?

Edited by V
Added link to chassis repair video

• Platinum Member

Hi @V

Just back needs fuel system from filler neck forwards so likely to be an expensive job...

Garage have asked for diagrams which I assume can be found online.

I've contacted a parts supplier in US but if there's anyone closer to home any member can think of if be really grateful.

• Platinum Member

Here is a link for the parts diagrams for a 2001 TJ, I don't think there will be much difference for a 2000.

So is it missing the original fuel tank or just damaged?

Any evidence suggesting why the tank in the tub was installed?

If you are DIY capable, installing a replacement fuel tank isn't difficult. It can be done on wheel ramps or axle stands in a driveway. If you need to buy fuel hoses only buy genuine Cohline, Gates or CODAN branded ethanol proof hose. Beware of fake hose!

Just guessing, you will probably need:

• Fuel tank (A used one from a UK or EU breaker, or new or aftermarket upgrade tank if you can find an affordable one)
  • Fuel tank skid plate (new off-road aftermarket designs are usually better than OEM)
  • Tank straps and bolts (Better to get new, but good condition used are OK)
  • Submerged fuel pump and sender (Much better to buy new, but good condition used will be OK)
  • Pump seal (New)
  • Pump nut (New or used)
  • Filler hose and clips (New)
  • Vent tube and clips (New)
  • Earthing strap and bolts (New or good condition used)
  • Ethanol proof hose and clips (New ONLY Cohline, Gates or CODAN branded from authorised sources)
  • Cable ties

You can get some parts from RockAuto.com

You may also find a skilled UK fabricator that can make a replacement, ethanol safe, armoured fuel tank for less cost than importing new parts from the USA. However, the fabricator will likely need an original tank to measure from. If there is someone on here that wants an extended range TJ fuel tank, you may be in luck either for a 2nd hand tank or going halves on the total fabrication costs.

Alternatively. If you have LPG available on the island, convert it to LPG with a Vialle Liquid injection system and a smaller petrol tank from TinleyTech (This might not be available)

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
9 minutes ago, V said:

Here is a link for the parts diagrams for a 2001 TJ, I don't think there will be much difference for a 2000.

So is it missing the original fuel tank or just damaged?

Any evidence suggesting why the tank in the tub was installed?

If you are DIY capable, installing a replacement fuel tank isn't difficult. It can be done on wheel ramps or axle stands in a driveway. If you need to buy fuel hoses only buy genuine Cohline, Gates or CODAN branded ethanol proof hose. Beware of fake hose!

Just guessing, you will probably need:

• Fuel tank (A used one from a UK or EU breaker, or new or aftermarket upgrade tank if you can find an affordable one)
  • Fuel tank skid plate (new off-road aftermarket designs are usually better than OEM)
  • Tank straps and bolts (Better to get new, but good condition used are OK)
  • Submerged fuel pump and sender (Much better to buy new, but good condition used will be OK)
  • Pump seal (New)
  • Pump nut (New or used)
  • Filler hose and clips (New)
  • Vent tube and clips (New)
  • Earthing strap and bolts (New or good condition used)
  • Ethanol proof hose and clips (New ONLY Cohline, Gates or CODAN branded from authorised sources)
  • Cable ties

You can get some parts from RockAuto.com

You may also find a skilled UK fabricator that can make a replacement, ethanol safe, armoured fuel tank for less cost than importing new parts from the USA. However, the fabricator will likely need an original tank to measure from. If there is someone on here that wants an extended range TJ fuel tank, you may be in luck either for a 2nd hand tank or going halves on the total fabrication costs.

Alternatively. If you have LPG available on the island, convert it to LPG with a Vialle Liquid injection system and a smaller petrol tank from TinleyTech (This might not be available)

Wow. That's amazing help.

We do have LPG which is less than 75p a litre would that tank be side by side with the smaller petrol one?

• Platinum Member

That's good news. Any evidence of a previous LPG installation - strange switch in the dashboard, or a unfilled hole where one may have been in the past?

The 41 litre tank sits underneath in the original tank location next to the LPG cylinder. Call TinleyTech to find out if it is still available. I wanted one for an XJ that they still showed on their website 2-years ago and they had no plans to make any more. You may be lucky. If the answer is no, ask them who the fabricator was, they may be interested in making a special. Nothing to lose by asking.

• Platinum Member

Cheers. As it's just a weekend toy I'm happy to keep it simple and stuck with petrol.

Current plan:

1. Sort fuel system

2. Power Steering pump and wheel bearings a little noisy

3. Service (full)

4.  Check gearbox and diffs

5. Road approval

6.  Interior

7.  Tart up outside with respray/new bits

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Finally ready to go to the Garage to get sorted and registered here. 

Bought some Leather Recaros from a Forus ST which will be fitted (if anyone wants the original seats let me know)

Curve ball is I've been offered by brother in law's F150 Lightining (currently SORN) and i've become a little obsessed with working out if the 5.4 Supercharged V8 and auto box can be crammed in to my TJ.....

• Platinum Member

Hi  Andy Ben, may I ask what exactly are your original seats please?  Type/material / colour/condition /pictures/ price?

• Platinum Member

Quite a few different V8 engines will fit in a TJ if they can be adapted to the Jeep transmission or the Jeep transfer case. Sometimes, using a completely different transfer case with a front left drop is the only option. The rear propshaft is about as short as you would want to go in the standard TJ layout without a suspension lift. It is best not to make it any shorter if lifting the suspension is also on your to-do list.

Squeezing a more powerful engine into a TJ is only the start. More than 200 horsepower and bigger tyres are going to reveal some of the limitations of the vehicle's original equipment. Bigger disc brakes and calipers will be necessary, which may also require 16" wheels depending on what brakes you choose to use.

The Dana 44 rear axle should be OK for a street Jeep in high ratio on 27" tyres up to 500bhp. If you start adding factors that will place more torque on the axle shafts (and u-joints) like pulling away in first gear, low ratio, low geared final drive for 33" tyres a powerful engine starts to become a problem.

Torque from a stock Jeep 4.0L engine is 235 lb-ft

Torque multiplication from NV3550 manual transmission 1st gear is 4.01:1 =  235 x 4.01 = 942.35 lb-ft

Torque multiplication from NP231 transfer case is 2.72:1 = 942.35 x 2.72 = 2,563 lb-ft (seen at the propshaft u-joints)

Torque multiplication from final drive for 33" tyres is 4.56:1 = 2,563 x 4.56 = 11,687 lb-ft (seen at the axle shaft)

I think a stock 30-spline D44 shaft is good for 5,000 lb-ft and a ChroMo 6,000-6,500 lb-ft. As a 4.0L petrol engine is not an electric motor, it doesn't develop maximum torque instantly so careful delivery of that torque when off road doesn't usually snap stuff. The breakaway grip on tyres also acts as a safety fuse.

In comparison, working backwards for a street Jeep on tarmac that never uses low ratio in the transfer case, having 27" tyres, 3.07:1 final drive...

5,000 lb-ft axle shaft / 3.07 final drive = 1,629 lb-ft at the propshaft

1,629 lb-ft / 4.01 1st gear = 406 lb-ft at the engine

With a Ford F150 V8 producing between 400 lb-ft and 640 lb-ft depending on specification, it's doable within limitations.

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, digger said:

Hi  Andy Ben, may I ask what exactly are your original seats please?  Type/material / colour/condition /pictures/ price?

Sure. 

They're kinda grey fabric with a pattern.

No rips or tears or noticeable wear, but I suppose they could do with a clean as previous owner off roaded

2C9A2BA0-6D7A-45F6-9811-75E926D02BFA.jpeg

Edited by Andyben

• Platinum Member

At the risk of upsetting Digger, before selling the TJ seats you should closely look at their operation when gaining access to the rear seating area. If your new Recaros can do the same trick then you wont miss the TJ seats. If they can't and you are not converting the Jeep into a 2-seater, you may want to hang on to the TJ seats and sell the Recaros.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Hi V,  I'm totally offended! 😁 LOL.

There is a lot of sense in V's comments . I want to replace my tan seats purely so that I can preserve them for the future.  I want similar comfort at my age rather than sporty seats.  I identified a few makes that will fit in my Yj plus mine is used as a two seater.  My options are to find  seats (done) which should fit on my frames or a complete seat. In my case this latter limits me because I can only have  narrow seats from 2 door cars because they have tilting backs , which will allow access to storage. The other option for me is another pair of Jeep seats ,one of which could be a pair of  TJ seats! Hence my interest!

If after all this, you still wish to sell your seats I would appreciate price wanted and any detail as to how to get them from Jersey please?  Pm me if you prefer.

Thanks

• Platinum Member

004E895A-35C5-4A37-AE36-1F2D93739362.thumb.png.431f72d892fb16dd4ddfa0bb69802a9b.pngI bought the Recaros because they're from a 3dr Focus so have the tilt forward mechanism.

If I get he Focus seats to fit, you can have the ones pictured, should lighten the burden of the transportation costs. 

Where are you based 

Edited by Andyben

• Platinum Member

It will be approx £65 to get them to Southampton where the freight company is if you can collect from there.

"Book my space" it's called,they'll do door to door for a price, or Channel Seaways is another.

• Platinum Member
15 hours ago, V said:

At the risk of upsetting Digger, before selling the TJ seats you should closely look at their operation when gaining access to the rear seating area. If your new Recaros can do the same trick then you wont miss the TJ seats. If they can't and you are not converting the Jeep into a 2-seater, you may want to hang on to the TJ seats and sell the Recaros.

Not that I've contemplated putting the rear seat back into my TJ but i got rid of mine for some Corbeau RS Baja recliners.. Being the larger side of the scale - i eventually went back to a set of refurbed TJ seats- But by crikey finding a set was nigh on impossible..

I've since found some and I've even got a spare set stored away as well!... Mind you so are the Corbeau's- but the one could do with refurb...

My point- If you can store them, Id store them... 

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, digger said:

Hi V,  I'm totally offended! 😁 LOL.

There is a lot of sense in V's comments . I want to replace my tan seats purely so that I can preserve them for the future.  I want similar comfort at my age rather than sporty seats.  I identified a few makes that will fit in my Yj plus mine is used as a two seater.  My options are to find  seats (done) which should fit on my frames or a complete seat. In my case this latter limits me because I can only have  narrow seats from 2 door cars because they have tilting backs , which will allow access to storage. The other option for me is another pair of Jeep seats ,one of which could be a pair of  TJ seats! Hence my interest!

If after all this, you still wish to sell your seats I would appreciate price wanted and any detail as to how to get them from Jersey please?  Pm me if you prefer.

Thanks

I hear these are good- although not sure of cost!

http://scheel-mann.com/seats/touring

• Platinum Member
47 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I bought the Recaros because they're from a 3dr Focus so have the tilt forward mechanism.

TJ seats have tilt forward AND slide forward for better rear access than just a regular tilt forward seat.

• Platinum Member

52 minutes ago, Andyben said:

It will be approx £65 to get them to Southampton where the freight company is if you can collect from there.

"Book my space" it's called,they'll do door to door for a price, or Channel Seaways is another.

Ok, Thanks , I'd go with that and would investigate door to door. Southampton is about 2 hours for me so doable. Would you let me know what you decide to do please?

• Platinum Member
31 minutes ago, V said:

TJ seats have tilt forward AND slide forward for better rear access than just a regular tilt forward seat.

As do the Recaros and  believe