Spot of advice, please

Andyben

Hi

Just taking delivery of my first Jeep in a few years, a 2000 TJ 2.5, which will be used at weekends only for pleasure with no off-roading planned.

The Jeep has what appeaers to be an auxillary fuel tank in the boot which i'll probably have removed. 

Is this a big job, I was planning to undertake with some mates with good mechanical knowledge, a vehicle lift etc, but if it's more complocated i'll be sending to a garage. 

Pic to follow

Just now, Andyben said:

Hi

Just taking delivery of my first Jeep in a few years, a 2000 TJ 2.5, which will be used at weekends only for pleasure with no off-roading planned.

The Jeep has what appeaers to be an auxillary fuel tank in the boot which i'll probably have removed. 

Is this a big job, I was planning to undertake with some mates with good mechanical knowledge, a vehicle lift etc, but if it's more complocated i'll be sending to a garage. 

Pic to follow

601216CC-B681-43FA-9645-0C046D345605.thumb.jpeg.9453f3bc8726d1fb4ebf6d6c17b26fd6.jpeg

Not sure, I believe it does but will know more when clears customs and I can collect it tomorrow.

I read that it's a popular thing to do in US to prolong off road journey capabilities and/or  limit damage from stock tank being damaged 

There have been various companies that have made extended range replacement tanks for Wranglers. I would say jerry can carriers are more popular than supplementary tanks. Fuel tank skid plates are usually cheaper than fuel tanks. Most export models have fuel tank skid plates as original equipment. A lot of US base models did not have them as original equipment.

The Jeep looks like it is right hand drive, what country did the Jeep come from? If you find an external electric fuel pump, my guess is that the original tank/pump had a problem and this was a cheaper workaround.

Haha. No idea but collect today with paperwork and all invoices so will know more.

Spoke with parts supplier in US and he has used tank and all fittings which he can send in one box if needed

If your Jeep is running only from the tank in the tub and you would rather have a tank in the original location, it would be worth having a chat with a fabricator before buying another tank. If the tank in the tub already has a fuel pump, level gauge and works with your fuel injection system, a fabricator may be able to adapt it to be underslung or use any parts needed from that setup to make a new underslung system. If you are having a tank fabricated, make sure it is ethanol proof.

• Thanks 1