Aloha, new to the jeep world

leighb4rnes

• Platinum Member
leighb4rnes

Hello jeepers 👋

My name is Leigh and I am new to the jeep world, picked up a 2dr JK Rubicon Recon edition back in June. My first Jeep and out of all the cars and trucks I have owned over the years this one has definitely made me a fan boy. Love it can’t wait to get it seriously dirty so much fun! 

7F8D4DCF-9FFE-4524-81EE-6CD4795E5B47.jpeg

DC35634C-AAEA-4A10-BE59-B395C8A76D23.jpeg

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
Overlander21

Hi from sunny Wigan 👋

Where are you based @leighb4rnes?

You picked the right time of year to buy a soft top, that's for sure 🙂

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
leighb4rnes

Hey @Overlander21 i am based in Over Wallop ( Hampshire, near Stockbridge ) 

yup hard too is in the garage and the soft top has been on pretty much since I got her, really awesome will run the soft top for summer and revert back to hard top for a few cold weather fishing adventures later this year. 

• Platinum Member
12 hours ago, leighb4rnes said:

revert back to hard top for a few cold weather fishing adventures later this year.

The soft top is fine for all year round use and doesn't leak. I used mine (TJ & JKU) in winter temperatures that were lower than -20 DegC. My JKU hardtop was on for the first few months to experience the novelty of it over winter. At the first sign of spring it came off and stayed in the garage for years until the day the Jeep was sold.

Before the JK, Wranglers with hard tops were not as common as soft tops. High end models like the Limited or Sahara had them as an option, but all of the lower priced models had the soft top as standard equipment. I don't know for certain why all UK JK/JKU Wranglers came with hard tops. I remember a sales person telling me it was to lower the insurance group rating when the the type was tested by Thatcham. That's why UK models also have bonnet locks. Sadly, the consequence of this is that most British Jeepers that started with a Wrangler made after 2006 have never enjoyed the full Wrangler experience, even if their Jeep was supplied with both tops. Well done for giving it a go, you are now one of the few.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
leighb4rnes

@V yeah this soft top is insanely good, no day to day difference I could tell between the hard and soft. My only concern is the JK ( callled Alice ) kinda has a purpose to accompany me on my fly fishing adventures, near rivers and as far a way as possible. The zip entry to reach in and clear out the £££ worth of gear that could be in there doesn’t fill me with joy in that season. I know a window is breakable and some one will get in if they want but it does seem a little more secure. 

I may just wind up with a drawer rig in the back that locks down and run the soft top. It is really fun. We will see.

• Platinum Member

A security box bolted down in the back or under the rear seats would be a good idea. A recent photographic inventory and adequate insurance of your valuables would be better. A cordless angle grinder with a cutting disc can get into any car, but it can't defeat good insurance.

• Platinum Member
leighb4rnes

Yup insurance is always the best option, and it’s all insured and itemised frequently. It’s more the opportunists, than some one serious. 

Everything can be replaced, but it still could trash a trip that has been planned for and time carved out for. 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
On 08/08/2022 at 22:06, leighb4rnes said:

Hey @Overlander21 i am based in Over Wallop ( Hampshire, near Stockbridge ) 

yup hard too is in the garage and the soft top has been on pretty much since I got her, really awesome will run the soft top for summer and revert back to hard top for a few cold weather fishing adventures later this year. 

Hi leigh and and a very wsrm welcome to the club👋👋👋

Just down the road from you, so to speak, in Portsmouth 😁😁😁 there are quite a few of us Jeepers in Hampshire and Wiltshire 👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
38 minutes ago, leighb4rnes said:

Hey @spookie the aardvark very sorry I am gonn miss the summer camp, but will be looking out for more meetups! Keen to meet some of you fine folks! 

It's a teal shame about summer camp but i am sure there will plenty of occasions to meet the motley crew 😆😆😆😆👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, leighb4rnes said:

@spookie the aardvark always time for a bit of motley crew! Definitely lacking in the quantity of hair needed however. Looking forward to it! 🤘🏴‍☠️🤘

I had Jeep named Alice. That's her.

IMG_1762-01.thumb.jpeg.67ab38957adf94e3e054947d7dbf36c7.jpeg

Traded her in for Miku

20220710_205802-01.thumb.jpeg.b5d120e74f11f811af7e343e9a0474c2.jpeg

• Like 1