A video explaining why tow hitch recoveries can be dangerous

V

• Platinum Member

It is titled 4x4 Recovery DEATH . It is worth watching if even if you do know what single shear, bending moment and stress raiser mean.

It also covers the heirarchy of recovery which I learned years ago but I have often skipped some stages for convenience since. It has reminded me that I should always go through the heirarchy at least verbally so that I am not teaching others my laziness.

1. Engage 4x4 low ratio? Transfer case/Locking hubs
  2. Adjust tyre pressures for the terrain
  3. Make the terrain easier to drive out of by digging, rock stacking, traction mats, waffle boards, jacking
  4. Towing with another vehicle using a strap or rope
  5. Winching
  6. Kinetic recovery (last resort)

Lessons I learned from my own mishaps:

I got stuck on a winter night laning trip years ago, the first lane of the evening following a coffee and air-down stop. I almost got to the end of the ice breaking, struggling to shuffle forwards and backwards to climb a muddy ledge when my friend that was following caught up. He got out of his Jeep to tell me that "it was impressive progress for 2wd high and perhaps I should engage 4x4 low now". I drove out of the obstacle as soon as I engaged 4wd.

I have been stuck both in the UK on mud and USA on rock for running tyre pressures too high for the terrain. I thought they were low enough, but after airing down a bit more, I successfully drove out of the problem under my own power.

When my XJ was stock, digging was a regular thing. I learned a lot about how similar gravity powered railways are with a 4x4 travelling in ruts. If you need to get out of them you need to cut a set of points (turnouts) for the direction you want to go. I don't do much digging now that my Jeeps are on bigger tyres but I should still consider all of the easing techniques available before jumping straight to towing.

I guess I was fortunate early on to witness some near-miss accidents with others winching and using kinetic ropes, that I paid to go on a training course to learn how to do recoveries safely. I have never owned a kinetic rope since using one on the course. A combination of the first five processes have usually worked for me. Kinetic ropes have a place in the hierarchy but as yet I only have a low stretch nylon tow rope in my kit for snatches.

• Like 5

• Platinum Member

This is great information. Some of which I remember from Summer Camp 2019. 

Great tuition from Terry and Neil.

I've only been recovered once (took the wrong line and beached the Renegade). We missed step 1 and 2 and went with 3 and 4.

I'm going to share this to the Jeep Renegade UK Facebook page as its worth knowing even if you don't off road. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
On 03/08/2022 at 05:51, Raakhee said:

This is great information. Some of which I remember from Summer Camp 2019. 

Great tuition from Terry and Neil.

I've only been recovered once (took the wrong line and beached the Renegade). We missed step 1 and 2 and went with 3 and 4.

I'm going to share this to the Jeep Renegade UK Facebook page as its worth knowing even if you don't off road. 

Well you might have missed stages 1, but I didn’t, my tyres where just touching the ground 🤣🤣🤣 airing down would have made it worse for me. Beached high and dry 😆😆😆
I didn’t notice you out your renegade diggings as it was cold, you were taking photos of the rest of us 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 after doing a Daisy duke, out the window 😊😊😊 I dug with my 6” trowel, slow and hard work, but I did made some ramps to get out easier. 
luckily @spookie the aardvark and @MGomeshelped get us out of our sticky mess 🤣🤣🤣 team work and Camera Woman in her warm Jeep 😊😊😊😊 

• Haha 3

• Platinum Member
3 minutes ago, Caroline12 said:

Well you might have missed stages 1, but I didn’t, my tyres where just touching the ground 🤣🤣🤣 airing down would have made it worse for me. Beached high and dry 😆😆😆
I didn’t notice you out your renegade diggings as it was cold, you were taking photos of the rest of us 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 after doing a Daisy duke, out the window 😊😊😊 I dug with my 6” trowel, slow and hard work, but I did made some ramps to get out easier. 
luckily @spookie the aardvark and @MGomeshelped get us out of our sticky mess 🤣🤣🤣 team work and Camera Woman in her warm Jeep 😊😊😊😊 

The perks @Raakheehas being the "media secretary" of the group lol

• Haha 3

• Platinum Member
42 minutes ago, Caroline12 said:

I chose to document the day events 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2