WJ/WG Grand Cherokee Ute conversion

V

• Platinum Member

Oh I want to do this with my WG/WJ

image.png
image.png

Love how they describe it as a 'Grand Comanche' in the door decals in the first pic

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member

It looks like the roof goes back a door handle length or thereabouts. How far back does your sunroof go?

• Platinum Member
Just now, V said:

It looks like the roof goes back a door handle length or thereabouts. How far back does your sunroof go?

1 minute ago, V said:

Guessing that the roof goes back around 1 foot

• Platinum Member
15 minutes ago, JimC said:

Oh I want to do this with my WG/WJ

image.png
image.png

Love how they describe it as a 'Grand Comanche' in the door decals in the first pic

That would definitely be cool Jim 😎

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

that really is very tempting, and not particularly difficult to do, especially as i have a V8 WJ that i was thinking of selling. 

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

I know older Land Rover Defenders have a pop-riveted body on a welded steel frame but the WJ has a steel unibody where the roof and glass are part of the structural strength. I am not so certain that this conversion would pass a British SVA/BIVA test considering the use of fasteners and replacement aluminium panels.

I think it would pass a BIVA if it was done using steel sheets that were welded to the original structure and added a structural roll cage hoop inside or outside the cabin that had triangulation down to the coil rear towers and additional boxing into the floor to create box chassis rails like the original XJ based Comanche had. The roll cage could be extended rearwards to provide a frame for a canvas top that is more truck like than soft-top convertible.

Comanche-top.jpg.9c06031da698df2ef5e7875874daff9a.jpg

truckbed-cage.jpg.6f85dd6803194189b143049cb9156404.jpg

The rear doors could have the tops removed and welded in place on their hinges and catches. A steel filler trim could be welded into the body frame door aperture before the door was welded to it. This would act both for strength and for backing to body filler. The door handle area could be cut out and replaced with sheet steel. A new sheet steel capping could be welded to the top of the cut rear doors running all the way back to the tailgate.

XJ or ZJ rear light clusters may be easier to use as they are slimmer than the WJ clusters.

A drop tailgate could come from another common UK pickup truck donor, fabbed from the WJ tailgate or a custom made flatty. Alternatively, if the bed sides were sufficiently rigidly supported you could just run a strappy net or steel mesh tailgate.

tailgate-net.jpg.c380daf0262b56f384544d8f5150b291.jpg

mesh-tailgate.thumb.jpeg.61f63c2507d9ef0cf905867b1d2c1e26.jpeg

Edited by V
  • Like 1