Brechfa Forest the day before Summer Camp

V

• Platinum Member

Digger and I are considering driving the lanes around Brechfa Forest on the day before Summer Camp, on Tuesday 16th August. We will likely camp Monday night at the JOC campsite so that we can get away for an early start. Brechfa is an hour and ten minutes (50 miles) west of Walters Arena in Carmarthenshire. If you are interested in joining us, post here below or send a PM. I would like to keep the number of vehicles down to five, so we have three places available.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Ah, yes I would very much be interested in joining you and Digger Vince 😁 . Sadly I will not be around though. Hope you enjoy it, I look forward to hearing how you got on and seeing the pictures

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Brechfa last year. Had the top off the Jeep which seemed like a good idea at the time, took ages to clear all the twigs, leaves and bugs out of it 🤣

ACB4758F-2631-4355-BF41-A64E114CF138.jpeg

D9A48154-0EBE-4083-880D-C6E79B8C0565.jpeg

85F18CE4-E8A5-4D7E-959A-ACA6999FCFA9.jpeg

• Like 4

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62

Hi Vince,

I could do the drive on Monday and head straight to the Camp site so I would join you and Phil.

It is very likely that I will be on my own though so if you are already at the Campsite around 5pm I could do with another pair of hands to help me put my tent up as it's quite big. 

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

Hi Vince,

I could do the drive on Monday and head straight to the Camp site so I would join you and Phil.

It is very likely that I will be on my own though so if you are already at the Campsite around 5pm I could do with another pair of hands to help me put my tent up as it's quite big. 

Hi Wjpr, no prob giving you a hand with the tent, I will probably be there 3pm ish on Monday.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

if you are already at the Campsite around 5pm I could do with another pair of hands to help me put my tent up as it's quite big.

Happy to help setting up. Hopefully will be there by mid afternoon.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62

Thanks Vince and Phil,

I am looking forward to seeing you there !

• Platinum Member
19 hours ago, TimC said:

Ah, yes I would very much be interested in joining you and Digger Vince 😁 . Sadly I will not be around though. Hope you enjoy it, I look forward to hearing how you got on and seeing the pictures

Thanks for suggesting Brechfa last year. I wouldn't have done the research otherwise. I am looking forward to Dunlop Hill. 

• Platinum Member

Wot's 'Dunlop Hill' , you didn't tell me about that!  Will I need to let my tyres down? 😁

Edited by digger
typo

• Platinum Member

The last picture of the 3 I posted is the bottom of what is, I believe, known as Dunlop Hill. It’s a twisty turny drop through some woods to a stream with some real fun bits in it, low overhangs, switchbacks, drop offs, and some great views along the top too.Being a short wheelbase though Digger you should be fine, it’s a killer for JKUs though 😳😁, You’ll love it, the whole section is one of our favourite routes. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

By the way, we know Dunlop hill as “Beer Hill “ because half way up, for some reason, James stopped and opened his tailgate. Being on quite a steep incline all his cans of lager fell out 😂.

• Haha 2

• Platinum Member

Here’s another couple of pics from different trips but on the same loop of lanes.

8F1ED17C-B348-4849-AC55-1CD0CA4646D1.jpeg

A89CCE9D-1933-4F52-B71E-F46F3033DA70.jpeg

• Like 6

• Platinum Member

A heard a tale that the first vehicle to ever drive up Dunlop Hill was one of the first production Land Rovers. It had only been driven down hill up to that point.

• Platinum Member

Would this trip be suitable for a lifted Jeep Renegade, Daisy Duck ? 

• Platinum Member

I really don't know. I haven't driven it yet. I have only watched a few videos. There are some sections where the route gets flooded (see TimC's photo above). I have an approximate waypoint for a submerged hole that is about 1m deep. This video clip fast forwards to the hole, keep to the left - no problem. Watch the entire video to get an idea of the rest of the route.

There will be two, possibly three winch equipped vehicles going. A winch can also be used for safely controlling a vehicle descent. If you have good front and rear recovery points that gives you more options if your Jeep runs out of articulation.

When I first started off road driving in an unmodified XJ, the Land Rover and Wrangler guys I drove with doubted I would be able to keep up with them, but I often did. That doubt only existed due to their unfamiliarity with my vehicle. Sometimes they were right, sometimes they were wrong. You know your Jeep and your abilities better than anyone. If I had listened to them all the while I probably wouldn't be a Jeeper now. Happy for you to join us if you want to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

Hi V,

that looks great, I have a snorkel fitted now, but I would take the shallower water route (just in case situation), I think it would be good to go and test Daisy Duck and see how a renegade does and test her capabilities. 

@spookie the aardvarkand me will both go if that’s ok ? We will camp on the Monday night and be ready to go Tuesday morning. 

so, 1 x Renegade and 1 x Grand Cherokee on Tuesday. 

6B0747BE-8302-40DE-A551-B46B0F82A16A.jpeg

AB4A02F9-929C-4224-AFD3-396A75C8062B.jpeg

Edited by Caroline12
Photos

• Platinum Member

Gr8. Look forward to seeing you both again. I think you will be fine. 😃

Unless the weather changes dramatically I think it will all be relatively dry. When we did Strata Florida in June it was pretty dry. I think V said there were 16 river crossings but most were streams! My Yj had no probs with no snorkel! It was still gr8 though!

I was caving in the Brecons two weeks ago in a cave that I know well. I have never seen it without a stream pouring down it over decades, yet it was completely dry. You must also remember that all across South Wales the mountains are covered in peat bogs,including where I was. I can't remember them being so dry either, and of course they work like giant sponges, when it rains, until they are waterlogged which takes a while!!

If there's time on Monday pm we could take a ride up to Dan yr Ogof (5 mins)and see what's coming out of the mountain behind which is the direction we are going in if you are interested. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
38 minutes ago, digger said:

Gr8. Look forward to seeing you both again. I think you will be fine. 😃

Unless the weather changes dramatically I think it will all be relatively dry. When we did Strata Florida in June it was pretty dry. I think V said there were 16 river crossings but most were streams! My Yj had no probs with no snorkel! It was still gr8 though!

I was caving in the Brecons two weeks ago in a cave that I know well. I have never seen it without a stream pouring down it over decades, yet it was completely dry. You must also remember that all across South Wales the mountains are covered in peat bogs,including where I was. I can't remember them being so dry either, and of course they work like giant sponges, when it rains, until they are waterlogged which takes a while!!

If there's time on Monday pm we could take a ride up to Dan yr Ogof (5 mins)and see what's coming out of the mountain behind which is the direction we are going in if you are interested. 

I’ll really look forward to it, so is @spookie the aardvark it will be great to meet up and go somewhere different 😊

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

4 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

What Jeep you taking up digger ? @spookie the aardvarkwonders if it’s your TJ or something else ???

I didn't know I had a TJ, don't they have coil springs and sophisticated things like that!!!!!  😁

• Haha 2