Just got a Jeep Eagle ๐Ÿฆ…

Richard_ussher

• Platinum Member
Richard_ussher

Yeah; 1980 classic piece of history. Iโ€™ll look after herย 

• Platinum Member

I'm not an expert on CJ's by any stretch of the imagination, but I am interested what this vehicle is registered as on a V5C document. Things that caught my eye:

• The body tub has the square corner of a CJ7 at the driver's elbow, but the windscreen wipers are not in the tilting part of the windscreen frame.
  • The front grille should have 5" diameter holes for the US model turn signals below the headlamps but they look like they have been sheeted over or filled.
  • The roll cage tubing looks a smaller diameter and the rear legs are the wrong shape for a CJ7
  • I can't see any leaf spring shackles at the front but there looks like there could be some coil springs up front.
  • It looks like there is a fuel filler in the right hand side of the tub, that's usually on the right hand back panel.
  • The wheel arch flares are non-original and remind me of a fibreglass replica.

I think it is an Eagle RV kit car. An interesting and rare vehicle in it's own right. I think they were mostly Ford Cortina based, but there are some Diahatsu and Range Rover versions around. They have an owner's club that you should consider joining.

ย 

Got any photos of the engine bay, rear of the tub/tailgate and the interior dashboard. I think the last time I saw one was at a kit car show probably Olympia 40 years ago.

• Platinum Member

The 'Q' plate registration for kit cars was introduced in 1983 so this one must have been finished in 1980 to get a 'W' plate. The Cortina Mk4 was out in 1976. It is possible one was used as a donor, but I reckon it is more likely to be Cortina Mk3.

ย 

Looking at the UK register, there may have been only 92 of these vehicles in existence. How many actually left is a mystery.

ย 

Edited by V

• Platinum Member

Takes me back, I built the first Range Rover based Eagle RV out of Storrington, It won me loads of trophies at RTV trials events. Great vehicle, so agile and powerful. That's why I had to buy a CJ7 more recently, reminiscing!

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Tone said:

I built the first Range Rover based Eagle RV out of Storrington

ย 

Do you have any pictures of it online? If not, perhaps you could do a write up for the Eagle Owner's Club. Little bits of special history like this shouldn't be lost.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Tone said:

Takes me back, I built the first Range Rover based Eagle RV out of Storrington, It won me loads of trophies at RTV trials events. Great vehicle, so agile and powerful. That's why I had to buy a CJ7 more recently, reminiscing!

ย 

I remember seeing a couple, or it may have been the same one at different times, of Range Rover based Eagle RVs at AWDC events back in the '80s. Perhaps it was even you! I am glad to see you now have a CJ7 Golden Eagle as a replacement.ย ๐Ÿ‘ ย 

• Platinum Member

......hold on, an imposter!ย ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I have just noticed your thread on your CJ7.... not an actual Golden Eagle, just got the bonnet decals ( which do look really cool btw) very nice all the same.

ย 

I do love the Golden Eagle spec on the CJ7. Almost bought one a few years ago, 1978 in original trim, unrestored but everything there, lovely 5.0L V8 and even working air con! Should have bought it and sold the YJ....ah wellย ๐Ÿ™„