Replacement battery

Surfer

• Platinum Member

Currently I have a Platinum battery fitted into my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit CRD and I think it is a sealed lead acid battery.  However Googling the opinion seems to be that the Jeep should have an AGM battery fitted.

Can someone please confirm if in the 2012 CRD whether it should be the lead acid or AGM battery?  If either which is the best replacement battery as do not want to pay stealer prices for a battery as their quotes seem to be around the +£400 mark.

• Platinum Member

Just changed the battery on my 2013 WK2, a couple of days ago. What came out was AGM original Chrysler Battery, what went back in was an AGM part number YUAYBX9019-BB, supplied by my local Garage. £275, they fitted it as took potty on me hobbling. 

• Platinum Member

As a matter of interest if a battery goes low i.e. 11v or lower can it damage the Smart alternator? In our case it standing for the 5 days with battery at zero volts. Am I right in thinking that the consensus is that it would be better if the battery was changed even though it is reading normal at present?  Due to high cost of fuel sometimes the Jeep stands for 5 or more days and the alarm is a constant drain and a worry due to battery being drained down to zero for the 5 days.

The Bosch S4 019 battery with 4 year warranty seems to be one of the better batteries. Then there is the Yuasa HSB019 Silver 12v battery with 5 year warranty from Halfords. I think the latter at £140 plus £18 fitting is preferred.

Thanks guys for all the valuable input it is really appreciated.

• Platinum Member

It has been confirmed by Jeep that the 2012 Overland Summit has an AGM battery.  It seems that when I input the registration for my '62 GC all battery suppliers with no exception come up with the lead acid battery.  Tanya do offer an AMG Start Stop battery, but the vehicle does nto have the Start / Stop technology although it is keyless and you need to press the Start  / Stop button to start or Stop the car.

I am not sure if an AGM Start / Stop battery is suitable for the vehicle or whether a Start / Stop battery can be used instead of a normal AGM car battery.  Finding a normal AGM car battery is an issue.

Jeep stated in an email; 

Thank you for contacting Jeep.

Further to your request, we can confirm that your Jeep Grand Cherokee, vin number: 1Cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx from production phase was fitted with a AGM type battery.

Edited by Surfer

• Platinum Member

If your Jeep was built with an AGM battery then I don't think it will have a problem with an AGM battery designed for Start-Stop. AGM batteries can be designed for different uses like the Optima Red, Yellow and Blue tops, but they have sufficient overlap in capabilities to make them all useable for engine starting. An AGM battery specifically built to cope with frequent engine starting will be better in your Jeep if you choose to mimic stop-start manually compared to doing the same with a conventional lead-acid battery.

I think that when Platinum market their AGM as Start-Stop, it is just that, marketing. It is just an AGM battery optimised for engine starting and powering electrical loads in the car while the alternator is not charging. At a guess, I reckon that's the same capability as an Optima Yellow top or an Odyssey battery.

Here is another opinion.

Edited by V
Fixed typo
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member
16 minutes ago, V said:

If your Jeep was built with an AGM battery then I don't think it will have a problem with an AGM battery designed for Start-Stop. AGM batteries can be designed for different uses like the Optima Red, Yellow and Blue tops, but they have sufficient overlap in capabilities to make them all useable for engine starting. An AGM battery specifically built to cope with frequent engine starting will be better in your Jeep if you choose to mimic stop-start manually compared to doing the same with a conventional lead-acid battery.

I think the when Platinum market their AGM as Start-Stop, it is just that, marketing. It is just an AGM battery optimised for engine starting and powering electrical loads in the car while the alternator is not charging. At a guess, I reckon that's the same capability as an Optima Yellow top or an Odyssey battery.

Here is another opinion.

Thanks for the above.  The majority of sites where you enter the Reg number only come up with lead acid batteries including Yuasa. Only one site came up with AGM battery when using VIN number.  Halfords are sourcing the correct AGM battery for the car.