Fixed my front locker

V

• Platinum Member

It was an easy fix but not what I expected. My front axle pinion seal is weeping gear oil and I assumed that I had an air leak on my ARB locker. However, I started my fault finding from the beginning, checking that the control circuit was actually working. Using a multimeter to check the voltage at the switch terminals and across contacts, I soon found that the front locker switch wasn't sending any voltage to the solenoid valve.

I tried operating the switch five or so times and it started to activate the locker. The multimeter confirmed that 12V was now present. I noticed that if I put a tiny amount of sideways pressure on the rocker switch it would work. Pressing the switch in the middle of the rocker gave intermittent success. I think the switch contacts have either got dirty with dust or tarnish.

I have ordered a set of replacement switches for my lockers and the compressor. I will try contact cleaner spray on the faulty switch currently fitted before swapping it out. I can't see the contacts of the switch as it is quite well sealed but if dust is getting in, not sealed enough. Hopefully, getting the switch messy with contact cleaner spray may clean it on the inside. If it doesn't work, I will replace the faulty switch. The sideways pressure workaround works reliably every time.

I still have the leaky pinion seal to attend to next week.

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I wish mine was that easy  (or cheap!). After Tuff Terrains I took mine in to the dealers to check out the front axle: axle tube seal leak, vibration and diff lock not engaging. They told me the electronic actuator , basically a large solenoid, wasn’t working and I’d need a whole new diff carrier assembly. Not much change out of £1500 😳.

But if the actuator is faulty, why not change the actuator, nothing wrong with the diff I ask. Ah, can’t do that sir, all comes as one part. Anyhow I got on the Dana Spicer website and found one in the States and one in Dana Spicers Europe warehouse in Hungary. Got the part number and ordered one through Bailey Morris who are doing my front prop ( also “ you’ll need a whole new front prop sir it comes as one assembly, we can’t replace the U joint🙄”) Price was still £300 but  at least they had one. I would find it less ridiculous if as well as only supplying expensive assemblies, Jeep actually had  them on stock…..they don’t even keep them and are “on back order and don’t have any idea when we’ll get them) I despair.

• Platinum Member

Just out of interest, what was the Spicer part number? I have a few older Spicer part catalogues up to around 2010. I wonder if there may have been sub-assembly part numbers published for the same diff in times gone by and they are still available if you have the magic numbers. The reason I ask is that I have already experienced this on some 1993 XJ components where parts drawings have been changed to remove component numbers to encourage the purchase of larger assemblies. The Spicer seal that goes inside a double cardan joint being one that springs to mind.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
8 hours ago, TimC said:

I wish mine was that easy  (or cheap!). After Tuff Terrains I took mine in to the dealers to check out the front axle: axle tube seal leak, vibration and diff lock not engaging. They told me the electronic actuator , basically a large solenoid, wasn’t working and I’d need a whole new diff carrier assembly. Not much change out of £1500 😳.

But if the actuator is faulty, why not change the actuator, nothing wrong with the diff I ask. Ah, can’t do that sir, all comes as one part. Anyhow I got on the Dana Spicer website and found one in the States and one in Dana Spicers Europe warehouse in Hungary. Got the part number and ordered one through Bailey Morris who are doing my front prop ( also “ you’ll need a whole new front prop sir it comes as one assembly, we can’t replace the U joint🙄”) Price was still £300 but  at least they had one. I would find it less ridiculous if as well as only supplying expensive assemblies, Jeep actually had  them on stock…..they don’t even keep them and are “on back order and don’t have any idea when we’ll get them) I despair.

Hi Tim,

I replaced the Solenoid of my JK Front Diff myself last year along with the inner axle seals. You don't need a complete new Carrier they are telling you stories. I bought that part for a couple of hundred quid but you will need a new bearing as well. I also realised that after Tuff Terrain my front axle passenger side was leaking oil and my rear Diff Pinion seal. Did both last week at home. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, V said:

Tim,

Have you seen Mopar part number 68312884AA.

I found one here

Woah, Vince! Well done, I thought I had scoured all the US Mopar sites and couldn’t find it listed as an individual part. Well actually that’s not entirely true, I checked the ones I usually use and they only listed the assembly so I gave up. I found the Dana part number, it’s 2005193, several driveline sites  listed it but I only found one with stock in the US in Kansas. Dana themselves only showed 1 in their European warehouse so I ordered it. I got 3 quotes, one from the US place and they all came in within a few pounds of each other. BM weren’t the cheapest on the part but meant I could collect when I picked up my prop and save shipping.

• Platinum Member
7 minutes ago, Wildjeeper62 said:

Hi Tim,

I replaced the Solenoid of my JK Front Diff myself last year along with the inner axle seals. You don't need a complete new Carrier they are telling you stories. I bought that part for a couple of hundred quid but you will need a new bearing as well. I also realised that after Tuff Terrain my front axle passenger side was leaking oil and my rear Diff Pinion seal. Did both last week at home. 

Where did you end up getting your parts from Chris?

I know exactly what you mean, although I don’t think they are actually lying ………it’s just the way things have become, and not just with Jeep , or even the motor industry. Manufacturers do not want to hold large stocks of spare parts, they can’t do anything with them, they are costly to store and administer and they build, and buy in assemblies. A lot of companies have basically ditched extensive component spares lists. ( an example from my industry, Baxter make infusion pumps, they have scrapped their component spares list and parts for the pumps are now just a handful of assemblies. A lot easier for them but now if you want to buy a contrast pot for the display you have to buy the entire front panel. ) Same thing with Jeep, I can understand why they do it, the thing that really bugs me is that if they force you to buy assemblies they could at least have the decency to hold stock of them 🙄

• Platinum Member

My Dad's 4wd Kia has an intermittent noise from the rear axle fluid coupling. He uses a trustworthy garage for most of his repair work when I'm not around and they quoted him £3K or so for the fix because Kia only sell the entire Fluid coupling and housing as an assembly. I did some research myself and fortunately a bright mechanic in the USA had already identified the problem as a dry sealed for life bearing on the shaft inside the housing, the fluid coupling is usually fine. He made YouTube videos of the investigation and the repair. The seal is unique to the 'National' brand and made in the USA but the bearing is standardised. The repair parts cost less than £60 for landed parts from the USA and only a few special tools are needed that I already have. This assembly thing may be OK for the health of corporations but it can be financially crippling for some customers.

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62
On 27/06/2022 at 06:50, TimC said:

Where did you end up getting your parts from Chris?

I know exactly what you mean, although I don’t think they are actually lying ………it’s just the way things have become, and not just with Jeep , or even the motor industry. Manufacturers do not want to hold large stocks of spare parts, they can’t do anything with them, they are costly to store and administer and they build, and buy in assemblies. A lot of companies have basically ditched extensive component spares lists. ( an example from my industry, Baxter make infusion pumps, they have scrapped their component spares list and parts for the pumps are now just a handful of assemblies. A lot easier for them but now if you want to buy a contrast pot for the display you have to buy the entire front panel. ) Same thing with Jeep, I can understand why they do it, the thing that really bugs me is that if they force you to buy assemblies they could at least have the decency to hold stock of them 🙄

Hi Tim,

I just checked on eBay the Actuator Part 68312884AA is for sale for £78. I think I bought mine from eBay 2 years ago for £145 and it worked fine. For some reason this part is cheaper now. You also want the Differential carrier Bearing as you must cut off one to replace the Actuator. You can find a Kit of 2 Mopar Bearings  on Rockauto for $52.79 - Mopar Part No (68003555AA).

If you do it yourself have a look at that video as there is a trick to get the Pin out while you re-insert the carrier otherwise the Locker won't work.  It is not the easiest job in the world, especially if like me your Jeep is on Axle stands, but it is do-able.

Good luck !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1