New to winching

UKTJ

• Platinum Member

As per my build thread my TJ is now proudly sporting a winch.  It was mentioned that training for those new to winches is a very good idea.  I know there is a very old thread on here re training courses, but it didn’t really come to much, so I thought I would start a new one.

It would be really helpful if those with experience of using winches could share any good resources they know of, training courses, articles, YouTube videos, etc.  It is easy these days to find information on the internet, but as a novice it is much harder to know it is good advice.

I know I lean on the more experienced members here a lot, but your help is genuinely very much appreciated!

• Area Representative
9 hours ago, V said:

Stu posted a link a few years ago for a 1962 US Army manual. It is old but still relevant. It is a great foundational read for anyone that uses a winch.

Lol Vince well remembered I had forgotten about that.

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member

It'll take a while to read it, it is a long document.  But I think it is going to be a good read, I was particularly glad to see the guidance is applicable to a nuclear conflict situation 🤣

• Area Representative
10 hours ago, UKTJ said:

As per my build thread my TJ is now proudly sporting a winch.  It was mentioned that training for those new to winches is a very good idea.  I know there is a very old thread on here re training courses, but it didn’t really come to much, so I thought I would start a new one.

It would be really helpful if those with experience of using winches could share any good resources they know of, training courses, articles, YouTube videos, etc.  It is easy these days to find information on the internet, but as a novice it is much harder to know it is good advice.

I know I lean on the more experienced members here a lot, but your help is genuinely very much appreciated!

There is no substitute for doing a winch course with your own vehicle and winch at an approved lantra or borda trainer  Being shown how to use your own equipment safely and correctly.  Its costs money but it could save fortune in the long run. Also doesnt hurt have them cast a professional eye over the install .  Some of the JOC events have winching demos but there is so much to it.  Where in the UK are you ?  There are mathmatical formulas to use to calculate pull taking into account that are mind bending but in reality with experience you learn.    A really good book to read not just for wincHing but recovery and all aspects of 4x4 vehicle driving and prep is Tom Shepperd" Vehicle dependant expedition guide". It is the 4x4 bible from the guy who explored and mapped the empty quarter of the sahara.   You know a book is quality when he reminds you to pack a blazer trousers and tie in case of embassey function invites .   

• Platinum Member
46 minutes ago, Stu2985 said:

There is no substitute for doing a winch course with your own vehicle and winch at an approved lantra or borda trainer  Being shown how to use your own equipment safely and correctly.  Its costs money but it could save fortune in the long run. Also doesnt hurt have them cast a professional eye over the install .  Some of the JOC events have winching demos but there is so much to it.  Where in the UK are you ?  There are mathmatical formulas to use to calculate pull taking into account that are mind bending but in reality with experience you learn.    A really good book to read not just for wincHing but recovery and all aspects of 4x4 vehicle driving and prep is Tom Shepperd" Vehicle dependant expedition guide". It is the 4x4 bible from the guy who explored and mapped the empty quarter of the sahara.   You know a book is quality when he reminds you to pack a blazer trousers and tie in case of embassey function invites .   

I'm in the very north of Hampshire.  I had a look at the Lantra site and could not see a winch course, but found one on the Borda site.  Have signed up for Borda and once approved hopefully I can look at dates and locations.  Thanks for the tip on the book, I'll take a look!

• Area Representative
2 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

I'm in the very north of Hampshire.  I had a look at the Lantra site and could not see a winch course, but found one on the Borda site.  Have signed up for Borda and once approved hopefully I can look at dates and locations.  Thanks for the tip on the book, I'll take a look!

Land rover experience sites do them (cost an arm and leg) i did mine at Protrax years ago.  Heres a nice pic of a toyota that happened recently

288216794_10220613835525241_4871829993890570229_n.jpg

• Confused 1

• Platinum Member

That's an interesting picture. I can see the fairlead is fixed to the plastic bumper, but what was the winch bolted to?

• Area Representative
1 minute ago, V said:

That's an interesting picture. I can see the fairlead is fixed to the plastic bumper, but what was the winch bolted to?

The original poster claimed he had a metal fabricator make up a 6mm steel winch plate.  I suspect looking at the pics its just bolted to chassis legs either end  with no bracing, support or strenghtening  in the middle.  Prob quite a long gap to be just bolted to chassis at each end. I suspect hes been winching up hill or the rope was higher up than the winch was and the force has bowed the winch plate . Once its started to bow  its just popped the winch body apart (only the drum and 2 rods join the 2 halves together as you know). Boom goodbye brand new winch. As for the fairlead bolted to the plastic bumper well that was never going to end well and says it all about that install.

• Haha 1