Wanted: 4.0L TUPY cylinder head

V

I need a 4.0L head from a 2003-2004 TJ or WJ/WG.

The TUPY head is a revision of the 0331 that has the coil pack bosses but without the cracking problem.

If you look down the oil filler hole you will see the word 'TUPY' cast into the top surface of the head between No.3 and 4 exhaust rockers.

I don't need another time bomb 0331 from 2000-2001, but I will consider a 7120 from 1991 to 1995 or a 0630 from 1996-1999. I have a spare exhaust manifold that matches these earlier heads but I will need to engineer a solution to add the coil packs and I will also need a new custom exhaust down pipe to join to my existing custom system. A TUPY head is a bolt on.

• VIP Member
49 minutes ago, V said:

The TUPY head is a revision of the 0331 that has the coil pack bosses but without the cracking problem.

If you look down the oil filler hole you will see the word 'TUPY' cast into the top surface of the head between No.3 and 4 exhaust rockers.

I don't need another time bomb 0331 from 2000-2001, but I will consider a 7120 from 1991 to 1995 or a 0630 from 1996-1999. I have a spare exhaust manifold that matches these earlier heads but I will need to engineer a solution to add the coil packs and I will also need a new custom exhaust down pipe to join to my existing custom system. A TUPY head is a bolt on.

Good grief Vince! Where on earth do you get all this info from and where do you store it all! This is encyclopedic! 😉

• VIP Member
On 14/06/2022 at 13:29, V said:

If a 2000-2001 has an 0331 and a 2003-2004 has a TUPY, what does a 2002 have?  Curious as, you guessed it, my 4.0l TJ is a 2002.

The 2002 has either. The TUPY head was introduced late in 2002. I don't know which month exactly. Shine a light in the oil filler cap and have a look. From memory, UK Wrangler stock was moving very slowly in 2002 and there was a large number of unsold pre-ordered vehicles parked up in storage fields for quite some time. I am not entirely certain, but I think the dealers had to pre-order to hold in stock one or two Wranglers a year but something like only 50 were sold.

I hope you are lucky and have a TUPY head otherwise you are in the same boat as me. My 2001 XJ has just done 100K miles. It is not overheating, performance is fine, and I don't have emulsified oil. However, my coolant level is dropping slowly. This could be a small leak from my radiator, hose or water pump which is not obvious at the moment due to the general light earth colour of every surface under the bonnet.

• Thanks 1

• VIP Member

Hi V, sorry I missed you today. I may be able to go again on Sunday or one day next week.

No problem. I am just trying to be proactive to have a head ready to swap in. Used 4.0L Jeep parts are becoming very scarce and the prices have shot up in a lot of areas. The cheapest I can get the bare Chinese head for is £260 delivered from France.