Expedition Iberian Peninsula

Deniz

First of all I'd like to all of you guys that helped me with their recommendations while I am preparing my lifetime adventure. Thank you all...

So to give a context what I am talking about, we have gone and back a one month long overlanding trip through the coast line of Spain and Portugal. Ok last week was a bit fast week since we wanted to see some touristic cities but overall it was great. At first we used the back roads since I believe you can see more beautiful places while you drive through small back roads. And it was absolutely spectacular. 

We have driven 3611 miles at the Iberian Peninsula +136 miles to and from Ferry in total 3747 miles. Why I have separated those because we used ferry and somehow the Trip A gone crazy while crusing in the sea. I entered the ferry at 68 miles and came out if I remember correctly 3000+ miles. So I decided to reset it and see how much we'll drive in the peninsula itself. 

As summary, we have stayed some crazy places, beautiful places, comfortable places (campsites), met a lot of friends, and hopefully inspired some people on the way. 

We got lost a lot and it  was the most fun part of the trip. We have driven where there was no road and we had to turn back from some skechy places a few times since the surface ended (at that point there was no road anyway). 

I had to adjust the headlights in the middle of the night, why because with that all weight apparently my headlights were too high for europe 🙂. That was a challence since I had all the necessary tools (at least I thought I had) but not a phillips head screw driver). Now it's in my toolbox 🙂 

Sometimes we had a hard time to find a camping spot in the mountain but who cares, driving was fun.

We've done a lot of night driving and oohh man those Rigid lights, wuuhuuuu. 

We had a few electrical gremlins at the last day but overall Jeep was great, got lot's of stickers, had tremendous amount of fun, and collected countless memories. 

Now need to start to plan the next adventure 😄, and give a good clean to the Jeep 🙂 

DLJN1093.JPG

IMG_6117.JPG

IMG_6122.JPG

20220503_082030.jpg

20220521_164948.jpg

20220528_190823.jpg

DSCF4815.JPG

DSCF4817.JPG

DSCF4818.JPG

DSCF4826.JPG

DSCF5374.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5231.JPG

IMG_5235.JPG

IMG_5243.JPG

IMG_5658.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

IMG_5695.JPG

IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_5944.JPG

IMG_8022.JPG

IMG_8383.JPG

IMG_8386.JPG

IMG_8597.JPG

IMG_8650.JPG

• Like 11

• Platinum Member

Wow! What a great trip. I would love to go exploring in Spain again.

If you are planning another trip, consider exploring the 4x4 trails in the Pyrenees in a group. You could easily spend a week starting from San Sebastian heading towards Argeles Sur Mer and another heading back to Bilbao/Santander.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, V said:

Wow! What a great trip. I would love to go exploring in Spain again.

If you are planning another trip, consider exploring the 4x4 trails in the Pyrenees in a group. You could easily spend a week starting from San Sebastian heading towards Argeles Sur Mer and another heading back to Bilbao/Santander.

Pyrenees was on our list but we spent too much time in Portugal (got lost a lot actually) 🙂 So it will be in the future. But you right those kind of trips are the best when you are with a group.

• Platinum Member

Great pics, looks like a fantastic trip and the sort where a roof tent really comes into its own. That looks a very well sorted Jeep you have there. 👍 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TimC said:

Great pics, looks like a fantastic trip and the sort where a roof tent really comes into its own. That looks a very well sorted Jeep you have there. 👍 

Exactly, I have managed to find a few tricks to close the tent and with practice now it’s very quick to set up and pack 😂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great pictures! Can I ask where the map of an off road route is of? The A7 between Alicanté and Valencia passes within sight of our house (though it's a very long motorway), and that looks like an interesting diversion, which might be quite close to home. I don't have any decent digital maps showing that sort of track, and the paper 'Topographicas' are too small to buy them all.

We have had some fun in the Pyrenées when we drive through, though, travelling alone, we are not too adventurous since we are too old to walk out if we get truly stuck. That said, we rarely have to turn back since our GCs have all been very capable, with lots of power and traction control.

You seem to have had a great time; hope you enjoy some more trips!

Gerald

• Like 1