Today I tried my hand at Plastidip

Overlander21

• Platinum Member
Overlander21

Today I have tried my hand at Plastidip and got rid of the last bits of silver / chrome in order to continue my "black 'n blue" theme.

Surprisingly easy to work with, applied six coats and left for a few hours to dry.

Unsure how durable it is, time will tell 👍

0E1546D0-F469-457B-A124-94BB9E754899.thumb.jpeg.14c85ae754d6b46e941ef12ada8cba1f.jpeg

1D4AFFB7-9F92-436A-8F65-7CEC36C31A63.thumb.jpeg.d49a385b8f8db9ae9e1a99d61099523e.jpeg

37BEE431-CD52-49D3-873E-9FF83FC70517.thumb.jpeg.44176aa3a05853cb15a634dafae9a84d.jpeg

A4C45FF2-FD37-4977-80C6-418B9F82FF56.thumb.jpeg.522da8165d937a76b655f9d4669eb68d.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

This has got me thinking. My Jeep related badges on my WJ are fading and I was going to have a look on eBay for replacements but if Plastidip works, then I might just go for this.
How much does Plastidip cost?

• Platinum Member

It is more expensive than regular spray paint, a little under £20 for a small can. The advantage (or disadvantage) is that it can be peeled off. I wonder if it can be creatively used as a mask itself?

• Platinum Member
Caroline12

Looks Great, query, how did you mask off behind the letters ????

• Platinum Member
9 hours ago, V said:

How to plasti deep Jeep emblem video.

I think using a wooden toothpick would be better than a screwdriver to get the bits between the letters. 

• Platinum Member

The clever bit is how it just tears cleanly at the horizontal and vertical intersection allowing an easy peel.

• Platinum Member
20 hours ago, Caroline12 said:

Looks Great, query, how did you mask off behind the letters ????

No masking required, you just peel off everything on the paintwork, including inside the letters, leaving just the logo coated in Plastidip.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, Raakhee said:

I think using a wooden toothpick would be better than a screwdriver to get the bits between the letters.

I agree. Plastic tools for working on interior trim would also be less likely to damage the paint underneath.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Overlander21

Sorry for the delay in replies everyone, I've not been around the last week or two.

I bought the Plastidip from eBay, it was £12.99 inc. delivery: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152495630251

As @UKTJ mentioned, there is no fine masking required,  you simply spray over the whole emblem and it magically peels off and tears at the correct points.  For the inside of the Jeep letters I used a regular wooden toothpick which is also suggested above and on a few YouTube videos that I watched too.

I washed the Jeep last week, no issues to report.

• Like 2