Today I have had to call Jeep assist again…

MGomes

• Platinum Member

So… Hank is sick again! Exactly the same issue as before… full Xmas lights experience again, I know enough of “the issue’ to know that the car drives fine until it gets switched off and then it does not work anymore… so I drove home so that the “car is safe” waiting for recovery… Jeep assist sent a mechanic (without a diagnostic tool…) that could not find anything wrong with the car… it will be picked up on Monday and I am currently waiting on Enterprise to confirm when a car will be delivered to me (hopefully today maybe tomorrow)… frustration is the only feeling I can currently think of… (starting to wonder if I need to speak to Jeep about replacing the car as the issue occurs exactly every 3 months…)

The second annoying problem is dealerships in the Southwest… not many that we can trust (car is still under warranty)… I asked for the car to be sent to Unity, but Jeep assist are not allowed as “its too far”… they mentioned “Snows Jeep Southampton” to what I laughed and explained that never again any of my cars would be heading that way… so it seems it has to go to a Jeep dealership in Chippenham (Wiltshire) - has anyone had any dealing with them (Pewsham Garage)? I was hoping to have the car looked at by Unity as there is clearly an underlying issue with this car and the previous Jeep Dealership was just up to scratch…  I guess we might have some positives (or not on a new dealership)… 

This is a shame - I did call Unity and explained they might have a car coming in on Monday - they seemed really nice I guess I will have to wait to service the car to confirm this…

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Unity are great , know them all very well and without a doubt the best place dealer wise in the UK IMHO. 

• Platinum Member
19 minutes ago, Chrisby said:

Unity are great , know them all very well and without a doubt the best place dealer wise in the UK IMHO. 

I would love to have my car went there, but Jeep recovery won’t do it without Jeep CS approval… it looks like we are condemned in the south west to deal with what Jeep has for break ups (I know I can drive to Unity for a service)

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Sorry to hear this.

I seem to recall that one of the previous issues followed a trip offroad (Salisbury Plain?).  This time it is shortly after Slindon, when despite it being dry Hank had at least one dunk.  Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting the previous mechanic's comments about not taking it offroad are right, but is it possible there is something set up wrongly on Hank that means he is more susceptible to issues than he should be following a bit of time in the water?

Another thought, what year is Hank?  Given @Tim_DS's recent electrical misfortunes with his '20 plate, that have resulted in the dealer buying his Wrangler back, I wonder if this is not a one off issue.

It would be good to get it to a really good dealer so you could have a sensible conversation without them jumping on it as soon as you explain Hank was offroad recently.  Fingers crossed you can get it to Unity and then get a resolution once and for all.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Sorry to hear this.

I seem to recall that one of the previous issues followed a trip offroad (Salisbury Plain?).  This time it is shortly after Slindon, when despite it being dry Hank had at least one dunk.  Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting the previous mechanic's comments about not taking it offroad are right, but is it possible there is something set up wrongly on Hank that means he is more susceptible to issues than he should be following a bit of time in the water?

Another thought, what year is Hank?  Given @Tim_DS's recent electrical misfortunes with his '20 plate, that have resulted in the dealer buying his Wrangler back, I wonder if this is not a one off issue.

It would be good to get it to a really good dealer so you could have a sensible conversation without them jumping on it as soon as you explain Hank was offroad recently.  Fingers crossed you can get it to Unity and then get a resolution once and for all.

So you bring really good valid points. Hank was registered 31 Dec 2018. The first time I had issues was in fact about 1 week after a trip to the plain (Earth October) - 2’d time (6 Jan) was actually 1 week after being serviced at a main Jeep dealership… but his is not the 3rd time (one week after Slindon) - so maybe using 4WD hi/lo - locks/ sway bar is triggering something… needs to be checked….

There are horror stories on 2018 JL’s in the US where engines had to be replaced with similar symptoms- root cause was metal pieces in the engine (all done as warranty) - last time the car was in I tried to get Jeep CS to have this checked and asked for a “flying dr” to go to the dealership as even Jeep CS agreed they made no sense, this was not approved then as the dealership stated the issue was a “broken fuse box” and then retracted the fact and stated a fuse was damaged (they actually delivered the car to me with the fuse box open…)

I will wait for tomorrow to check if the car can go to Unity and if not I’ll hope this other garage is better than Snows Jeep… I would like a full check on the car to be done as otherwise I will have to check what can be done legally- in 7 months of ownership I have been without the car for 2 already…

On me thing I can think of is that the car was sold to me by another Jeep dealership (my bad experiences never seem to stop) as a “standard out of box car” - but we have discovered a few months ago that Hank has a TERRAFIRMA 2” lift… both the original dealership (that serviced the car before giving it to me) or Snows “Jeep master” failed to see this, I wonder if they have configured the electronics of the car for “standard” and this is causing all the electrical issues on the sensors…. I shall mention this as well (mentioned it to Snows and the comment from the SM was “oh really, no, it’s all the same”…

Frustrating, and unfortunately bringing a bad name to Jeep and their service network not just with friends but with the rural community  in Wiltshire (I do gundog training and everyone now reminds me I should have got a Land Rover) or even with our local 4x4 group where I volunteer - all groups of ppl that actually buy these types of cars…

• Sad 2

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, frosty said:

what was the problem last time ?

As per the dealership, first time Mud was the problem (causing a faulty earth connection on an ABS cable) - second time a bad fuse

• Platinum Member
28 minutes ago, MGomes said:

...On me thing I can think of is that the car was sold to me by another Jeep dealership (my bad experiences never seem to stop) as a “standard out of box car” - but we have discovered a few months ago that Hank has a TERRAFIRMA 2” lift…

That is absolutely dreadful!  What impact does that have on your warranty?  If the dealer didn't even notice how can they have confirmed that the work has been done properly?  If the mod has not been declared on your insurance what impact does that have on your cover?

I completely agree with you on the reputational point.  From everything I hear on herd, if Jeep are not careful the dealer network is going to kill the brand in the UK.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
23 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

That is absolutely dreadful!  What impact does that have on your warranty?  If the dealer didn't even notice how can they have confirmed that the work has been done properly?  If the mod has not been declared on your insurance what impact does that have on your cover?

I completely agree with you on the reputational point.  From everything I hear on herd, if Jeep are not careful the dealer network is going to kill the brand in the UK.

From a legal standpoint I was not informed of the Mod, so the dealer that sold the goods would be liable…. (I am discussing this with the insurance company) As far as the warranty Jeep CS stated that a terrafirma lift is not uncommon and should not impact warranty- but yes the issue is what are they doing with my car when being serviced…

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 minute ago, MGomes said:

From a legal standpoint I was not informed of the Mod, so the dealer that sold the goods would be liable…. (I am discussing this with the insurance company) As far as the warranty Jeep CS stated that a terrafirma lift is not uncommon and should not impact warranty- but yes the issue is what are they doing with my car when being serviced…

Sounds like you have it all in hand 👍

• Platinum Member
8 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Sounds like you have it all in hand 👍

All in hand but my car😔

• Platinum Member

So contacted Jeep CS and they will not be able to authorize the car being sent to Unity (to far form home) - funny as it is a 10 min difference in time driven, but twice the mileage... I guess I will have to wait and see how Pewsham Garage handles the issue - Case opened with Jeep CS for follow up if required (and will give a call to the garage as courtesy). NO contact form Jeep recovery as yet (meant to pick Hank up this AM) -I am guessing we will not have the car for the Easter Break 😞

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

Just a quick update on the situation - as I should post the positives; even if i am still waiting om the dealership to provide an update (I am expecting this to take a few days), but so far my best experience with a Jeep dealership (Jeep CS to be fair have always been great @Volant165 I know sometimes you speak to "Jeep people" - this is also important for them to hear)

1. Called Jeep recovery Saturday and had a mechanic within the hour to check the car (didn't wait long, but no diagnostic tool) - did spend some time trying to fix it with no luck

2. Jeep provided me a car on the same day form Enterprise - "Just a Corsa", but a request for replacement has already been done (as per Enterprise will have to wait until Thursday for a bigger car)

3. Spoke with the dealership directly (courtesy call as I have never been there), explained the situation and the Service Manager agreed the situation had been poorly handled before, they confirmed their "Jeep Master" would start working on Hank today

4. Jeep CS called me with an update, informing me that the car had ben safely delivered, they had spoken to the dealership and they would be opening a tech ticket so that the car would be checked properly (and fixed properly this time) - they also confirmed they had informed Enterprise that they needed to provide me with a "suitable car" (i.e. not a Corsa) - and that the car would be with me for whatever time it takes to fix Hank

5. Both the dealership and Jeep CS have set the expectation that this might take some time to fix - I am happy with this as it appears it is the first time someone is happy to look at issue with the car properly...

So - FOR NOW (past experiences make me skeptical) I am actually pleased with the level of service that I am getting form Jeep - and this is important to share - who knows - maybe we have found a good dealer in the Southwest!

• Like 4

• Platinum Member

@MGomes...sorry to hear.

As @UKTJ mentioned I've had terrible trouble - which ultimately led to Snows Jeep Portsmouth buying back the vehicle the week before Slindon 😞 
So disappointing as I loved it - but I just couldn't trust it as a daily driver. 

You are right about Jeep Care - they were great. Quick recovery and enterprise rentals - but after a few failed fixes, I had to call it a day. Luckily I first reported the issue to Snows just a few days within 6 months of buying the vehicle, so I played the Consumer Rights card https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights and they agreed to buy back (with a small mileage adjustment). 

It's actually back for sale https://www.snows.co.uk/jeep/used-cars/14414270-jeep-wrangler-2.0-gme-rubicon-auto-4-wd-euro-6-s-s-4dr/
I spoke to the manager last week (he was very good BTW) and apparently they have resolved the issue. But if anyone is looking to buy OE20 BUW - do give it a thorough road test as it seemed plagued with electrical gremlins during my ownership. 

• Platinum Member

"I spoke to the manager last week (he was very good BTW) and apparently they have resolved the issue"

I would take that comment with a pinch of salt

Quite often problem vehicles can be passed around dealerships within a group  onto the next unsuspecting buyer.

Found this out years back when my Bother in Law purchased an MG.

Engine used to cut out, very shocking & dangerous in the outside lane.😬

They just passed it on. He got a phone call from the next buyer in another part of the country, (he had happened to leave his contact number in the glove compartment) who explained they had exactly the same issue.

Chryslers have a history of electric issues, so I've read. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

yep - i don't disagree @BLUE STAR - which is why I had to get shot of it. Shame. Just thankful that it all happened before I dropped £££ on upgrades (which I had planned for this summer)!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Tim_DS said:

@MGomes...sorry to hear.

As @UKTJ mentioned I've had terrible trouble - which ultimately led to Snows Jeep Portsmouth buying back the vehicle the week before Slindon 😞 
So disappointing as I loved it - but I just couldn't trust it as a daily driver. 

You are right about Jeep Care - they were great. Quick recovery and enterprise rentals - but after a few failed fixes, I had to call it a day. Luckily I first reported the issue to Snows just a few days within 6 months of buying the vehicle, so I played the Consumer Rights card https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights and they agreed to buy back (with a small mileage adjustment). 

It's actually back for sale https://www.snows.co.uk/jeep/used-cars/14414270-jeep-wrangler-2.0-gme-rubicon-auto-4-wd-euro-6-s-s-4dr/
I spoke to the manager last week (he was very good BTW) and apparently they have resolved the issue. But if anyone is looking to buy OE20 BUW - do give it a thorough road test as it seemed plagued with electrical gremlins during my ownership. 

My 6 months has passed - and the dealership that sold me the car was a different one, where I would not go back (really poor service where they sod me financial services I did not require and I had to threat them with legal action jut to get a refund... plus they sold me a car with a lift without making me aware, putting them at the same level of Jeep knowledge as Snow's as far as I consider...). Jeep CS themselves agreed on a written email that I would to have to deal with said dealership on any matters in future (this really makes me sound winy lol).

I would genuinely not recommend anyone to Snows, when looking for a Rubicon I spoke to them and the sales guy seemed to be really nice (that's his job) - but they were under offering less £4k on my previous car than anyone else I had contacted - so went somewhere else to purchase the vehicle then. I had a car with them twice and i know they did not look at the issue properly so I would always question if they actually fixed your car (but I am very skeptical of their service)

• Platinum Member

As an update to my topic (to the ones that have the patience to read these) - the Service Manager from Pewsham Garage called me and updated me that they would not be able to look at the car at least until after Easter - slightly disappointed as the first feedback was "we will look into it on Tuesday", but at least its an update... also - Jeep Technical is in Italy and its Easter - they will working very part-time this week and next, and I know they will be working with them on this, so kinda makes sense (as annoying as it is because I just want to see my car fixed...)

Regardless, I feel that I need to note the positives compared to my previous experiences with Snows:

1. I actually received an update
  2. The dealership did all the paperwork for the car PROPERLY (and I have not been without a vehicle)
  3. Jeep contacted enterprise to replace the Corsa they had given me and I now have a 3008, not a Jeep but:
    1. Big enough for the family trips we have planned
    2. I can transport my dog safely in her crate (it fits in the boot) on my Pets As Therapy visits and dog training (over kill for someone, but I do a lot of mileage wit the dog and I want her as safe as possible)

So, 1 week in, the car has not been looked at, but I have received updates and I have not been one day without a car

Now to get the issue fixed...

• Platinum Member
3 hours ago, Tim_DS said:

yep - i don't disagree @BLUE STAR - which is why I had to get shot of it. Shame. Just thankful that it all happened before I dropped £££ on upgrades (which I had planned for this summer)!

I would have said maybe look for a 2nd hand JK to mod , but even the prices of those are now crazy.

When I bought my Sahara in 2009 full list was around £24K and now they want £50K - £60K WOW ! 

They are nicer 'decked out' inside I must admit, but I could get a lot of nice road trips in the US for that money.

I guess I've been reasonably lucky  with mine so far 'touch wood' 2007 built on 108,000 give it plenty of mechanical sympathy & oil changes, bought new in 2009 first week of the scrappage scheme, + reduced VAT, when they were selling them off cheap (getting rid of old stock I guess) changing Company from  Daimler to FIAT.

Never had an off road vehicle before but since have learnt so much on how to service them etc its been quite educational and now appreciate what a PITA it can be for mechanics 🙄

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
On 14/04/2022 at 11:03, MGomes said:

My 6 months has passed - and the dealership that sold me the car was a different one, where I would not go back (really poor service where they sod me financial services I did not require and I had to threat them with legal action jut to get a refund... plus they sold me a car with a lift without making me aware, putting them at the same level of Jeep knowledge as Snow's as far as I consider...). Jeep CS themselves agreed on a written email that I would to have to deal with said dealership on any matters in future (this really makes me sound winy lol).

I would genuinely not recommend anyone to Snows, when looking for a Rubicon I spoke to them and the sales guy seemed to be really nice (that's his job) - but they were under offering less £4k on my previous car than anyone else I had contacted - so went somewhere else to purchase the vehicle then. I had a car with them twice and i know they did not look at the issue properly so I would always question if they actually fixed your car (but I am very skeptical of their service)

Are you aware that under CRA 2015 if you report a fault in the first 30 days, that time period is suspended and only resumes when the repair has been completed to the satisfaction of both parties.  Same applies to the 6 months from date of delivery, but after the 30 days and within 6 months you have to give the dealer one chance at repair before rejecting.  We were successful in rejecting at £32k caravan when it was 11 months old using the 30day time period.  I would suggest contacting Which Legal Services for consumer advice as we used them with great success!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
20 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Are you aware that under CRA 2015 if you report a fault in the first 30 days, that time period is suspended and only resumes when the repair has been completed to the satisfaction of both parties.  Same applies to the 6 months from date of delivery, but after the 30 days and within 6 months you have to give the dealer one chance at repair before rejecting.  We were successful in rejecting at £32k caravan when it was 11 months old using the 30day time period.  I would suggest contacting Which Legal Services for consumer advice as we used them with great success!

Must keep an eye on that if things do not get resolved! Thank you 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
29 minutes ago, UKTJ said:

Any news on Hank?

No… called the garage last week to get an update and they said they did not have a mechanic to look at him… also reported bubbling pain on the door (common on JL’s) and the service manager will look into it but already told me “we don’t do that work as it needs to go to a bigger garage” (yet Jeep told me I could not send it to a bigger garage as I do not want Snows Jeep to look at the car… sigh 😔)

Jeep CS also called me to provide that same update, and they told me they escalated the matter and that they wanted to charge the dealership with the cost of the rental to see if they could fix the car sooner… this is great, but will it mean they will rush and not look for the actual root cause? Purchased the car in end of June last year and it will be for 3 months in Jee dealerships always looking at the same problem… it has to be fixed… I have a 4x4 response deployment this weekend, will show up in a Peugeot 3008… not the greatest image for the brand 😞

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
On 09/04/2022 at 17:02, MGomes said:

So… Hank is sick again! Exactly the same issue as before… full Xmas lights experience again, I know enough of “the issue’ to know that the car drives fine until it gets switched off and then it does not work anymore… so I drove home so that the “car is safe” waiting for recovery… Jeep assist sent a mechanic (without a diagnostic tool…) that could not find anything wrong with the car… it will be picked up on Monday and I am currently waiting on Enterprise to confirm when a car will be delivered to me (hopefully today maybe tomorrow)… frustration is the only feeling I can currently think of… (starting to wonder if I need to speak to Jeep about replacing the car as the issue occurs exactly every 3 months…)

The second annoying problem is dealerships in the Southwest… not many that we can trust (car is still under warranty)… I asked for the car to be sent to Unity, but Jeep assist are not allowed as “its too far”… they mentioned “Snows Jeep Southampton” to what I laughed and explained that never again any of my cars would be heading that way… so it seems it has to go to a Jeep dealership in Chippenham (Wiltshire) - has anyone had any dealing with them (Pewsham Garage)? I was hoping to have the car looked at by Unity as there is clearly an underlying issue with this car and the previous Jeep Dealership was just up to scratch…  I guess we might have some positives (or not on a new dealership)… 

This is a shame - I did call Unity and explained they might have a car coming in on Monday - they seemed really nice I guess I will have to wait to service the car to confirm this…

For the ones that have followed my "saga" a quick update on the status of my Rubicon...

As its been a month since I have (AGAIN) been without my car I called the dealership (Pewsham Garage) to get an update. they kindly stated "we were going to call you, your car is ready to be picked-up. We isolated the problem to an issue with an ABS earth cable that had resistance in the car, so we replaced the cable, and swapped the area where it was connected to the chassis so the issue does not re-occur - we have test-driving your car and it re-starts". I was pleased with this, and agreed on a time this AM to pick up the car (its a one hour drive from home and i have a full time job, so these things have to be planned)

Arrived there on time, and spoke to the SM - he was really polite and kind, as I asked a lot of questions about what cable, where etc. (as I want to make sure its fixed and am happy to take preventive advice) - they even opened the bonnet, explained in detail the issue and showed me the part replaced (until here I was SUPER HAPPY)

Then... well, I switched the car on (Foot on the break, press the ignition button) - to my surprise, EML was on, warnings on all tires / TPMS sensor warnings (and others, did not stay in the car enough to check) - the Garage SM was outside so I called him and told him - I have all sorts of warnings again... suffice to say he was a bit embarrassed took the car back to the garage and said they would be looking into it... after 1 hour waiting I asked for a update (the plan was to go and get the car, not to stay there the day, so I didn't even had my work laptop...) - again the garage SM was very kind, not defensive (as previous dealers), i guess that is the Silver lining...

As I was driving home I called Jeep CS to update, complain, request extension of loan car from Enterprise (that was due to be given back today) - They were great, car has been extended (so I am mobile) - and stated "issues will be escalated and they need to work with Jeep Technical" (this was meant to have happened already anyway) - I did state some facts to the poor chap that is managing my case, and has to put up with my ramblings (I have over 20 years experience in OPS management and Support Center/helpdesks - so I know their pain lol):

1. This Jeep Dealership had no new Wranglers for Sale (only 1 Rubi and 1 Sahara used)

2. The Workshop fits only a few cars (They wont even deal directly with my claim on the "door bubbling matter" - but we will work together on that)

3. I wanted to send my car to a dealership that has experience in these cars (again, Wranglers are not Fiat 500's) - and Jeep CS insisted these guys are great (obviously I have mixed feelings)

4. I wasted an entire morning on a work day (will not tell you how much we charge our customers for my consultancy fees) and had to drive 90 miles (with current fuel costs)

Suffice to say I am angry, frustrated and even mentally drained, love the car, love the brand, its the car that Sarah Connor had or that MacGyver (the original) drove (well a modern version of it), but in 9 months of ownership I have not had the car for 3 months now.... (and it will be longer as I do wonder how long for them to repair it...) - Tomorrow I am on yet another deployment with 4x4 response and yet again I show up with a 3008! Seems that in a region dominated by LR and then Japanese 4x4's I tend to say all the time, the car is great, the dealership network not so much.... I am now starting to wonder if i will have the car for SpeedFest!

Will spend some time today doing a write-up to Jeep UK - this s truly bad... the cable replaced by this dealership should have been replaced in October when Snow's Jeep stated the issue was the Rubicon had mud and being off-road would void the warranty... when you spend the amount of money we do in these cars we deserve a little bit more...

• Sad 2

• Platinum Member

You are certainly not having much luck with your Wrangler. It does sound strange that a bad earth for the ABS will affect so many systems.

I'm wondering if your Jeep has an electronics timing related fault. A slow acknowledgement on one safety system cascades to blocking or slowing the acknowledgement of other systems.

Does your Jeep have a physical ignition key? Or is it push button start with a wireless authentication fob? If you have another way to start your Jeep try that to see if the fault travels.