Free air down service?

Volant165

• Platinum Member
6 minutes ago, frosty said:

i am sure it must be illegal  

I am sure interfering my a motor vehicle us illegal.  Firstly it may damage the tyre and secondly there is a cost to reinflate the tyres if you need to call out a breakdown company.  What if someone dies as the driver cannot get the sick person to hospital in time?

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
36 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I am sure interfering my a motor vehicle us illegal.  Firstly it may damage the tyre and secondly there is a cost to reinflate the tyres if you need to call out a breakdown company.  What if someone dies as the driver cannot get the sick person to hospital in time?

My Jeep is used every week to get my ass to chemo treatments 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

I think this is specifically covered by S22A of The Road Traffic Act 88 under the title, 'CAUSING DANGER TO ROAD USERS'.

But I’m sure they would argue that there is no danger as they have posted a notice and it was then your choice to drive off.

They are even after Hybrid and EV’s if you read their comments.

Whilst the world is not perfect and our 4x4’s have the potential to have a big impact, you have to consider total cost of ownership to really see where the impact actually is. Can’t see many EV’s lasting as long as the TJ’s,  XJ’s and hopefully my JKUR are/will last.

Also I have finally justified my in board air….

• Like 5

• Platinum Member

TCO total cost of ownership but remember, my clean EV starts here! It's a dirty metal in a dirty business. Where are they when it comes to practices like this? 

D9BEED0A-E481-47C0-9249-4B3223490C4E.jpeg477FFA56-AF4E-4CCC-A661-2CE8BDC6584D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Volant165 said:

TCO total cost of ownership but remember, my clean EV starts here! It's a dirty metal in a dirty business. Where are they when it comes to practices like this? 

D9BEED0A-E481-47C0-9249-4B3223490C4E.jpeg477FFA56-AF4E-4CCC-A661-2CE8BDC6584D.jpeg

I’m not sure we should worry about 4x4’s or even transport in general.

Studies predict smartphone emissions will go up from 17 to 125 megatons of carbon dioxide equivalent between 2010 and 2020. With a prediction of phones/pc’s/data Centre’s amounting to 14% of all emissions by 2040.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Sometimes I wonder if I have logged onto the wrong forum 🤔, there seems to be more threads and posts about CO2 emissions and the pros and cons of green energy and electric vehicles than there are about actual Jeeps. I have given up worrying about this. Since there is no way that ‘people’ will accept the ‘reduction’ in living standards and the lifestyle changes necessary to reverse CO2 emissions, and since free market capitalism is not going to give up its insatiable need for growth, we are all on the road to Hell and the exit ramps are getting fewer and farther between. We can move the goal posts around all we want but unless we reduce greed and endless consumption we are screwed. And since we are all on the Highway to Hell I intend going there in a 3.6V6 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 and if I can ever manage to scrape  together enough money I’m going to ask Alex Parpottas to put a 6.4V8 HEMI in it for me. ( or maybe I’ll drive there in the CJ7, it’s a close call 😉)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, TimC said:

And since we are all on the Highway to Hell I intend going there in a 3.6V6 Jeep Wrangler 4x4

@TimC I for one will be joining you in my 3.6v6 too. And if this lot let my tyres down, that justifies the on board air right there 🤣

• Haha 3

• Platinum Member
2 minutes ago, neal said:

@TimC I for one will be joining you in my 3.6v6 too. And if this lot let my tyres down, that justifies the on board air right there 🤣

haha 😄 , good point about the on board air, need to add a decent ARB compressor to the shopping list 👌, just in case eh? 😉

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Yeah Tim I did this as a heads up. I did not know and I was in London last week. They hit nearby. They brag about where they are going to hit so keep an eye if you are out and about. I guess they could set up camp in Gaydon then. 

I will continue to drive my zero nox gas emitting (compared to diesel)petrol power plants. 

now back to cutting up my old shaving blades and glueing them to my stem caps.......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member

Well said V. It is typical, and all too easy for fanatics, convinced of their own righteousness, to scapegoat and pick on minorities, inciting hate fuelled  by lies and misinformation, be it 4x4s or anything else. No group should be targeted for violence, and surely not because of the car they drive. I wonder what is next on the hit list?

• Platinum Member

I resigned from 4x4 Response this evening. With the government trying to get rid of byways and this new bunch of terrorists sabotaging 4x4s, I don't have any goodwill for the general public left in me. I have always been willing to step in and help anyone that needs my help, but no more. I'm done with it. From now on I will only help my tribe, fellow off road 4x4 drivers, the government and the rest of the public can go find their own skills and equipment when they need them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• Platinum Member

It is lunacy. I share the same disappointment and frustration. The club raises funds for mountain rescue etc. I would imagine the number of 4x4's requiring call-outs is far less than ramblers and cyclists. At least that is what NWMR Oggie base confirmed with us when we presented them with a check. And we in the Jeep community help local 4x4 rescue organisations on a local basis. 

When the heavy snow or floods hit they are not bashful to call on us. But the nut jobs will blame our rigs for causing the weather events I suppose! 

• Like 4

• Platinum Member

Me over here just ordered a new Rubicon 😭. I suppose I'm gonna have to buy a pellet gun and play sniper out my bedroom window.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, JimC said:

Anyone know of a way pumping teargas into a tyre?

I think the best way to make one of these terrorists cry is to use Carbon Dioxide to inflate your tyres. Every time they deflate a tyre they will be directly responsible for releasing CO2 into the atmosphere.

I have been looking at Powertank systems, but they are expensive and I have no idea if they can be easily/legally refilled in the UK. I have been looking at DIY CO2 tyre inflation systems and using inspiration from a UK aquarium enthusiast, I think it is worth making a DIY system using a UK standard 5Kg CO2 fire extinguisher as these can easily be obtained and refilled.

From my own calculations using info from the Quadratec video, I reckon a 35" tyre will take just one minute to inflate from being completely flat. A full 5Kg CO2 tank will inflate nine 35" tyres to 30psi from flat at a cost of £20 for a 5Kg refill.

When I have built my own CO2 tyre inflator, I will post the full construction details here.

Edited by V
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

• Platinum Member

Um, gives you better grip with CO2 in your tyres!!

You don't need anything fancy. Just get a pub or MIG CO2 cylinder (not expensive ) , then a regulator,  a tyre gauge + valve connector and you are ready to go.

V, you will see mine standing in the corner when you come over. Although I have never used it in the YJ, yet!

Ps The 'Response' chucked me out a few years ago because I was over 70!!! 😂

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

I have been looking at various options today. I found that date expired CO2 fire extinguishers sell for around £12.50 for a 2Kg and £20 for a 5Kg. A regulator is under £25, a digital gauge air chuck under £20. So a complete DIY system should cost under £65.

The 2Kg bottles should be able to inflate four of my 35" tyres from flat to a driveable pressure in four minutes or so. This is roughly the size of a 5lbs Powertank. I'm amazed I haven't done this sooner.

I didn't know there was an age limit for 4x4 Response. I guess we are both in 4x4 No-Response now!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

Unfortunately in general deflating your tyres cannot be classed as a hate crime.  However if you are disabled and you are using a SUV to get around as it is easier to get in and out of then maybe you stand a chance.  However it is catching them in the act and even when they are caught, will they be prosecuted and just get a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again.  It is a criminal offence as it is malicious damage to property and they could have a criminal record for the rest of their lives.

Also having a certain moron promoting them on his show gave them all the publicity they craved!

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
9 hours ago, V said:

I have been looking at various options today. I found that date expired CO2 fire extinguishers sell for around £12.50 for a 2Kg and £20 for a 5Kg. A regulator is under £25, a digital gauge air chuck under £20. So a complete DIY system should cost under £65.

Let me know if you want any as a neighbour of mine works in this industry. Guess it will be the price of a pint for a 5Kg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1