XJ headlight condensation.

Fourpot

• Platinum Member

I have recently fitted new headlights to my XJ (1998) as the old ones were constantly plagued with condensation inside the lenses (and the silvering was coming off). Already, after two months, the new ones have condensation all over the lenses. 

Is the answer to find genuine Jeep/Chrylser parts (mine probably made somewhere where they eat pangolins) or is this a 'usual' issue? 

Has anyone got a favourite 'fix' for it?

(I do have some LED ones but they don't quite fit - yet)

• Platinum Member

A dab of mastic around where the sidelight bulb goes in. What is the condition of the rubber covering that goes over the headlight bulb? 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I replaced my original Hellas after 24 years with some used Hellas on the '93, they had suffered reflector corrosion. No idea how long the 'new' ones will last but they don't appear to have a condensation problem at the moment.

My 18 year old Cibies also suffered from reflector corrosion so they were replaced with some Indian made RHD 'E' marked 7x5 with crystal clear lenses and moulded chrome plated plastic reflectors. I had to drill the side light bulb hole myself in these as I couldn't find replacement lamps that had the sidelight in the correct position for my headlamp buckets. These had new bulb seals, but I reused the old sidelight grommets from the old Cibies. They also appear to be resisting condensation.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
18 hours ago, JimC said:

A dab of mastic around where the sidelight bulb goes in. What is the condition of the rubber covering that goes over the headlight bulb? 

All brand new and used a bit of silicon grease round the seal and where the sidelight goes in...

• Platinum Member

Don't know if this helps, but when I changed out a bulb on the Hellas on the JK a few years back, when I pushed the rubber back on,  it covered a vent hole and  headlight quickly condensed up.

Didn't realise they had vent holes at the time.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
On 03/03/2022 at 20:31, BLUE STAR said:

Don't know if this helps, but when I changed out a bulb on the Hellas on the JK a few years back, when I pushed the rubber back on,  it covered a vent hole and  headlight quickly condensed up.

Didn't realise they had vent holes at the time.

Yes - do watch out for vent holes - some makes have one way valves that block.  They can get very hot and suck in moist air when they cool down.  Check all the seals - I have tried a smear of Vaseline on seals which helped

• Like 1