Electronic Stability Control error and limp home

Tim_DS

• Platinum Member

Just trying to self-resolve this issue before I make the trek back to the dealer. 

JLU Rubicon (2020) throws an electronic stability control error and engine warning light. Jeep then goes into limp-home mode. 

It's happened twice this week. First time, restarting the car cleared the error and I put it down to one of those things...but error came back 3 days later and won't clear. 

Any obvious places to look? loose connections etc? 

• Trade Member

Hi Tim, the JL is notorious for loose fuses in the main fuse box under the bonnet… I would firstly try and reseat all of those.. secondly you need to get the code scanned and read… it could be a wheel speed sensor..

although we have not seen many of these fail yet on the JL’s. If you are not far from us you can always come in and I will scan it for you.

Alex

Buzz Special Vehicles

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, Buzz said:

Hi Tim, the JL is notorious for loose fuses in the main fuse box under the bonnet… I would firstly try and reseat all of those.. secondly you need to get the code scanned and read… it could be a wheel speed sensor..

although we have not seen many of these fail yet on the JL’s. If you are not far from us you can always come in and I will scan it for you.

Alex

Buzz Special Vehicles

Thanks Alex - you are even further than my closest dealer unfortunately. Did some digging on US forums and a few have routed the problem to this https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173320-9999.pdf

Jeep is now booked in - but not for another 2 weeks. Fingers crossed for a quick repair otherwise slindon could be scuppered for me 😞 

• Platinum Member

It is a shame that vehicle faults that are possibly well known to Jeep are hidden from customers and that we have to go digging in forums and other sources for more information. It would be really helpful if vehicle manufacturers had a 'Support' page on their website and published all of their TSBs there. It is good that you found out what the likely cause was.

The NHTSA is really good for exposing issues that stay quietly buried in the UK and the rest of Europe. The DVSA is noticeably lagging behind.

I suggested rear brake pads because my JKU's ESP light would continually flash when the rear pads were worn. I never had any other problem with it other than the ESP was a bit twitchy on snowy alpine hill climbs.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the suggestions - I've checked fuses and no lose connections. Any recommendations for an OBD Reader that's proved reliable? 

• 2 weeks later...