Annoying scraping sound…

Chris85

• Platinum Member

So, a couple of months ago I started hearing a metallic scraping sound coming from my near side which at the time I though was the wear marker on my pads. 
So, had the pads changed on the front but the problem persisted. So then I thought ok, let’s get the rears changed as when I had my mot done by Jeep at the end of Jan they told me “they are metal to metal so need changing, would you like to book it in to be done….”

I declined their offer and bought some pads online for my local garage to do. 

Took the Jeep in to my local garage to be told the rear pads are fine and aren’t down to the marker….

So, I can’t seem to figure out where this noise is coming from. It seems to only appear when the car gets wet (in the rain or through fords ect). I thought it could be some surface rust on the discs as I’ve had this occur on bikes in the past, but having looked there is no visible marks on the discs. 

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be causing this? The Jeep has been in for a service (same time as the MOT) and they didn’t pick up on the noise nor advise me of any issues. 

Appreciate the help as always. 

• Platinum Member

Could be the rear of disc scaping against the  dust shield.

Had this on mine few years back.

If so, just bent the dust shield so there's no contact. 

• Platinum Member

Small stones can get picked up by the tyres and flung around the wheel well. Sometimes they can get trapped between the brake disc and the brake dust shield (fronts) or brake back plate (rears) causing scraping noises. I was plagued with this problem for a few years until I decided to delete my front dust shields. I can't do the same on the rear axle because the handbrake mechanism is part of the back plate but just doing the fronts has cut down the likelihood of the problem occurring.

Some front brake systems will need shimming for the thickness of the brake dust shield if it is removed.

• Platinum Member
58 minutes ago, Chris85 said:

Thanks gents. 

I should add, the noise disappears when I brake…. 

Yep if memory serves mine was the same.

If it is, take the wheel off and you'll probably see where the dust shield at some point will be tapered toward the disc

• Like 1

• Administrators

Other issues can be a worn rear wheel bearing or bent axle shaft! The bent shaft it a constant chirp sound ! Just fixed this on my JK recently was bloody annoying ! 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

Thanks. I've not had a bent axle shaft before. I will try to remember that one.

The wheel bearing is a possibility, but the recent MOT would have certainly picked this up.

Chris85: Just curious, do you have a gravel driveway?

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, V said:

Thanks. I've not had a bent axle shaft before. I will try to remember that one.

The wheel bearing is a possibility, but the recent MOT would have certainly picked this up.

Chris85: Just curious, do you have a gravel driveway?

no, tarmac. 

the noise comes and goes. Sometimes it’s there, other days it isn’t….very odd…

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Chris85 said:

no, tarmac. 

the noise comes and goes. Sometimes it’s there, other days it isn’t….very odd…

Does it change with braking ? 

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, stewart said:

Does it change with braking ? 

yes, it disappears under braking.  

We’re in Wales at the moment so can’t check properly however my better half has narrowed it down to the near side rear wheel. 

might try and get a short video tomorrow and post it. 

• Platinum Member

I used to get this regularly with an old classic RR - easy fix was to reverse and apply the brakes the stone caught between the disc and the dust shield would usually drop out.

however - the noise was one heck of a metallic squeal and was not intermittent.   What you describe would make me lever the dust shield away from the disc a bit.  

with a floating disc I suspect applying the brakes centres the disc up a bit and takes it away from the dust shield so the noise goes away.