Snow’s Jeep Southampton - avoid…

MGomes

• Platinum Member

As a few know (if you had patience to read my posts) I have gad a few issues with my local dealership with Hank the Rubicon… issues are (I hope) now resolved, this seems to be the correct place to share my experience dealing with this “official dealership”. If you do not want to read the whole post, take my advice, steal clear away form this dealership:

1. The Customer Service is appalling (no updates whatsoever)
  2. I would state they are not fit to support any Jeep that is used for greenlaning, definitely do not understand Rubicons
  3. Every time they had my car, they broke something or failed to spot something obvious
  4. Seem to be alerting to the fact that Rubicons can go off-road and have an OK waving capability

Experience #1 (September/October 21)

Jeep broke down on the road, full “Christmas tree experience” - all warning lights came up, car stopped and did not start again. Called RAC to start with (long story but the dealership where I bought the car did not explain what was the process to request support in warranty), I also called the dealership (as a matter of courtesy and to explain the issue and that they would receive a car that needed to be looked at. Also checked if I could get a loan car for the time, immediate response was “You did not call Jeep recovery, so you are not entitled to it” - frustrating but they had a point re process (as much as in my mind I was saving them money…)

They received the car and did not look at it for a few days (had to chase them daily) - but initial response was “the car has been off-road, this voids warranty”, and stated “the ABS is flooded, it will be £600 just to diagnose… off course, as a responsible Rubicon owner this made me angry immediately, called Jeep CS (always really nice and supportive by the way) - after a few calls backwards and forwards Jeep CS decided to cover the costs of the repair as a “good will gesture”, no replacement car, but no cost to repair.  3 weeks into it the dealership called me and confirmed the car had been fixed. Root cause was a faulty earth connection on the ABS system (nothing related with the original diagnosis that made the warranty “void”)

I went to pick up the car and drove back home (30 miles), before we left they had to change a couple of sensors as I had a few alerts/sensors that were giving problems (boot open / no auto/start) - finally left and on the drive home I noticed that the car was overheating, quite a lot… asI was driving in the middle of nowhere, I did the classic “crank heating to max” and drive slowly (with windows open as it was warm). This time, I arrived home and called Jeep CS, they sent a Jeep Mechanic (2 actually) and they looked at the car and confirmed that there was no anti-freeze in the cooling system, they checked for leaks and there were none… Car had to be taken down to the dealer again, and no explanation how a car leaves the dealership without standard checks that the car is safe to drive… took them another 2 weeks to fix this matter.

Jeep CS confirmed to me that the “fix” reported by the dealership was “washing the engine bay” (and doing this damaged bonnet insulation…)

NOTE - The root cause was mud stuck in the back of the radiator, this would have not been a warranty matter, and I would have been happy to pay hadn’t it been for the dealers gross negligence…

I spoke with the Service Manager and explained that I was looking to create a relationship with a dealership that I would trust, but these matters were not helping, I agreed to service the car there once more to give them an opportunity… I kept my world and serviced the car there on the 23rd December 2021

Experience #2 (January/February 2022)

So… once week after the car was serviced at Snow’s I was at a petrol station and got the “Christmas Tree experience” once again, and the car did not start… Called Jeep recovery requested recovery - again called the dealership as a matter of courtesy and told them the car would be heading their way, and that I would need a car (as Hank is my daily drive) - first comment was “we can only provide the car for you once we look at it and it will take us 2 weeks to look at it”… I called Jeep CS and escalated the matter, again, super helpful team and they confirmed I should get a car as the car still has 2 years warranty left… interesting fact was that the service manager asked Jeep CS to verify if my car had been “anywhere near water”… (when the Jeep CS asked me this they apologised…)

Took 4 days for the loan car to be arranged (due to the fact Snow’s Jeep had “forgotten” to request a rental for me despite the fact they had been instructed to do so…) - the car was again at the dealership for 5 weeks… throughout this time I spoke more with Enterprise (the rental was from them) as they were getting updates form the dealership stating the car was ready, but every time I spoke to Jeep CS the told me to hold as they needed additional details on the matter…

The fix: 1 broken fuse… (and I now have the bonnet fuse box with one of the plastic clips broken - pictures taken and escalation to Jeep CS to be sent today…

Overall experience - incredibly poor, this second time I received NO updates from the dealership, not even one email/phone call… needless to say I am hoping there is nothing wrong with the car, but they managed to send me the car back with a few changes (compared to when I delivered it to them:

1. CB Radio was removed and left on the floor
  2. Tow Bar power adaptor removed and left on the cup holder
  3. Secondary battery was drained and needed re-charge…
  4. Broken clip on fuse box
  5. Battery isolator not added

Not going back and will share this incredibly poor experience with anyone as this is not what we want from a main dealership - poor representation of a brand that we all care about….

If you got this far - well done!

46B9716B-D28C-4D7A-B37B-F0B3F20B720D.jpeg

2F4DAD29-1D81-4658-99A8-12A9EC90FC46.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

• Platinum Member
22 minutes ago, Overlander21 said:

Sorry to hear,  sounds like a nightmare 😕

All sorted hopefully- now to proactively book the next service with a different dealer!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

I really hope Jeep take some action here, it really will do them no good at all to have dealers serving customers this poorly.

Fingers crossed everything solved for you now.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Sounds terrible - and as I live near Southampton, information  on such poor service is very welcome.

What is it about some Dealerships that just do not understand how customer service is vital?

What a shame Snows seem determined to trash peoples expectations.

• Like 3

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, UKTJ said:

I really hope Jeep take some action here, it really will do them no good at all to have dealers serving customers this poorly.

Fingers crossed everything solved for you now.

I have always serviced my cars at main dealerships (not a mechanic so happy to pay that “premium” for extra peace of mind), and throughout the years had Vauxhalls, Hondas, VW’s and Mercedes’ before the Jeep, had a few issues here and there, but never something this consistent 😂

From speaking to other Jeep owners it seems the Southwest does not have the best dealership network….

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
30 minutes ago, Vernon said:

Sounds terrible - and as I live near Southampton, information  on such poor service is very welcome.

What is it about some Dealerships that just do not understand how customer service is vital?

What a shame Snows seem determined to trash peoples expectations.

I think they “inherited” Jeep as they are a Fiat dealership- and it is a “niche” vehicle, I wonder if they just consider they don’t seek enough to train mechanics? In my career (Ops / Business management) I have had to deal with budget constraints on investing in areas that the business is not so profitable - but even in a global market like the one I work in “word-of-mouth” is still far to precious not to do anything with it

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, MGomes said:

I think they “inherited” Jeep as they are a Fiat dealership- and it is a “niche” vehicle, I wonder if they just consider they don’t seek enough to train mechanics? In my career (Ops / Business management) I have had to deal with budget constraints on investing in areas that the business is not so profitable - but even in a global market like the one I work in “word-of-mouth” is still far to precious not to do anything with it

I think you have a point there. There seem to be quite a few dealers who are/were Fiat dealers first, then they got Jeep lumped in, don’t really want it, don’t understand it but will sell you one if you walk in and say “I want one of those”. This particularly applies to Wranglers. They are not all like that, but you have to find the good ones, and there are some that were Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealers and do know their stuff. Westaway Jeep in Northampton are one, Unity another. they are few and far between though.

• Like 4

• Platinum Member
15 minutes ago, TimC said:

I think you have a point there. There seem to be quite a few dealers who are/were Fiat dealers first, then they got Jeep lumped in, don’t really want it, don’t understand it but will sell you one if you walk in and say “I want one of those”. This particularly applies to Wranglers. They are not all like that, but you have to find the good ones, and there are some that were Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealers and do know their stuff. Westaway Jeep in Northampton are one, Unity another. they are few and far between though.

It shows when the Jeep service manager states to you “as a mechanic I would never take the wrangler in mud or water”… this Jeep dealership was even unable to identify that Hank had a lift (I didn’t know either, but again not mechanically minded) - yet on a trip out with other Wranglers it was identified in 5 minutes!

I have my eyes on Unify… just over one hour drive, but if I plan my proactive services well I should be able to get a loan car (my work is around planning and managing work load I should be able to do that lol)

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I'd also avoid Thames Motor Group. Sales is great. I'm still friends with the salesman. After sales service is awful. 11 months for them to solve the UCONNECT update loop I had that rendered Jeep Skills not available. And that too after Jeep CS had to send them detailed information on what to do. Then Alice's first service where they pulled out the side skirt and blamed me for doing it. After demanding CCTV footage off the service I found that they drove my Jeep around all day for no flipping reason. Jeep was dropped off at 8am, service was started at 4pm and the part of the footage we needed to see was conveniently cut off. They agreed to fix at no cost by pulling out the bolts and replacing with cable ties!!! This must be a new approved method. Brilliant pieces of equipment dashcams are. Caught the service manager admitting fault and saying to head mechanic that he already told me I was at fault and to just make it look presentable. My words to him was not very lady like. Eventually sorted out and I'm never going back.

I'm using Vertu Jeep in Beaconsfield. Smaller dealership and way better service. I would recommend them.

Edited by Raakhee
  • Like 5

• Platinum Member
12 minutes ago, Raakhee said:

I'd also avoid Thames Motor Group. Sales is great. I'm still friends with the salesman. After sales service is awful. 11 months for them to solve the UCONNECT update loop I had that rendered Jeep Skills not available. And that too after Jeep CS had to send them detailed information on what to do. Then Alice's first service where they pulled out the side skirt and blamed me for doing it. After demanding CCTV footage off the service I found that they drove my Jeep around all day for no flipping reason. Jeep was dropped off at 8am, service was started at 4pm and the part of the footage we needed to see was conveniently cut off. They agreed to fix at no cost by pulling out the bolts and replacing with cable ties!!! This must be a new approved method. Brilliant pieces of equipment dashcams are. Caught the service manager admitting fault and saying to head mechanic that he already told me I was at fault and to just make it look presentable. My words to him was not very lady like. Eventually sorted out and I'm never going back.

I'm using Vertu Jeep in Beaconsfield. Smaller dealership and way better service. I would recommend them.

Good to have the positives as well!!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
52 minutes ago, Raakhee said:

This is shocking!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Raakhee said:

I hate to say it in this day and age but in some of these places, and it sounds like this was one, if the customer is female they think they can get away with anything and treat them very differently than if they were male ( and not in a good way). I take mine to Motorvogue in Bedford, the service manager there is female, I have known her a long time and she is excellent. 

• Like 4

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, TimC said:

I hate to say it in this day and age but in some of these places, and it sounds like this was one, if the customer is female they think they can get away with anything and treat them very differently than if they were male ( and not in a good way). I take mine to Motorvogue in Bedford, the service manager there is female, I have known her a long time and she is excellent. 

Good to know! That does happen, some of our female Jeep gals here have experienced that at places…. Society still has a lot to learn!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, HussaR said:

This is shocking!

They had the audacity to call me on Tuesday and try to sell me a 2WD to "lower" my current monthly payments. Worst sales pitch ever. I politely told them I'm not selling.

• Haha 2

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, TimC said:

Yeah, I was talked down to. As if I didn't know my Jeep. My husband came along, more to calm me down  and hold me back from assaulting the manager. But as my husband is much taller and looked more threatening the manager suddenly changed his tune and the work was done with no more hassle. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member
9 minutes ago, Raakhee said:

Yeah, I was talked down to. As if I didn't know my Jeep. My husband came along, more to calm me down  and hold me back from assaulting the manager. But as my husband is much taller and looked more threatening the manager suddenly changed his tune and the work was done with no more hassle. 

They really did not know who the threat was lol

• Haha 3

• Platinum Member
On 13/02/2022 at 10:22, Raakhee said:

Did you download that footage?  Sort of thing that gets sent to TV consumer affairs shows or onto the internet.  I would saying admitting he lied and tried to con you should be a gross misconduct instant dismissal.  But my guess would be he is still there.

Sad to say, but when we change my wife’s GC I think it a low probability that we will replace with another Jeep.  It is not the vehicles, but based on our experience of our local dealer and what I hear on here I just don’t want to deal with the level of service provided by dealers.

The problem is that without intervention it is a vicious circle, which turns into a death spiral.  Low sales volume means little interest from dealers as they focus on brands in their portfolio with greater volumes, which results in pissed of customers who don’t buy another Jeep, which means even lower volumes.

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, UKTJ said:

Did you download that footage?  Sort of thing that gets sent to TV consumer affairs shows or onto the internet.  I would saying admitting he lied and tried to con you should be a gross misconduct instant dismissal.  But my guess would be he is still there.

Sad to say, but when we change my wife’s GC I think it a low probability that we will replace with another Jeep.  It is not the vehicles, but based on our experience of our local dealer and what I hear on here I just don’t want to deal with the level of service provided by dealers.

The problem is that without intervention it is a vicious circle, which turns into a death spiral.  Low sales volume means little interest from dealers as they focus on brands in their portfolio with greater volumes, which results in pissed of customers who don’t buy another Jeep, which means even lower volumes.

I did download the footage which is what I used to catch him in his lie. Was not really interested in getting him dismissed as he was not only the Customer Service manager but seems to be the owner of that franchise. Just glad I have another dealership close to service my Jeep

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Where I bought my new KJ (many years ago now) was a multi-franchise dealer. When I had an issue early on, the Jeep Service guy was baffled, but the Mercedes guy, sat next to him, knew exactly what the problem was and got it fixed!

So, buy a vehicle out of warranty, 3 years old, just got it's first MOT, so a year's safety checked motoring ahead, buy a Diagnostic Fault Code Scanner, find a reputable local garage to carry out jobs you cannot do yourself, then say goodbye to dealers - for ever! Happy days!

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
49 minutes ago, jerryg said:

Where I bought my new KJ (many years ago now) was a multi-franchise dealer. When I had an issue early on, the Jeep Service guy was baffled, but the Mercedes guy, sat next to him, knew exactly what the problem was and got it fixed!

So, buy a vehicle out of warranty, 3 years old, just got it's first MOT, so a year's safety checked motoring ahead, buy a Diagnostic Fault Code Scanner, find a reputable local garage to carry out jobs you cannot do yourself, then say goodbye to dealers - for ever! Happy days!

I agree in principle, but if nobody buys them new there will be no 3 year old ones to buy.  Even with your approach there needs to be a decent dealer network to ensure the supply of newly MOTed 3 year old Jeeps to buy.

• Platinum Member

We’ve had issues over the years with Dealerships from a wide range of makes as I was lucky enough to have company cars and then moved onto a car allowance system allowing me to buy my own vehicle.

The worst:-

Ford, Worthing - starting problem not cured after fitting three “new” alternators.  But the last one had been marked so we could prove it had not been changed.  Ford then confirmed it was the original item.   They took no action against the Dealership despite our complaint.

Vauxhall Salisbury - new Cavalier GLS had defective rear shock absorber from new. Dealership said I would have to wait weeks for a replacement.  I Said “Fine - I’ll get the RAC to assess if the car is safe to drive given the mileage I do”.   A new one was suddenly found - taken off another same model new car.   The Service manager swore at me.   So I swore back at him and explained what had happened to a couple of prospective customers in their showroom.

Citroen Salisbury - On the face of it service was very good - but it broke down and the RAC chap found a clogged air-filter and clear evidence it had never been serviced despite our being charged.  Another Dealership confirmed non of the filters had ever been

changed.

Good Service - Audi Salisbury so good in fact that I had three Audi’s one after the other.  Never a problem excellent service.  Only service issue I had was water in the fuel tank on the last 80 I had before the A4.  The Service Department drained the tank.  They reckoned someone had pee’d in the tank.

Hyundai - my wife has a i30 Tourer bought from Hyundai Basingstoke.  Excellent service and the car has been faultless (if a bit bland to drive). I now service it myself and the Salisbury Dealership is always courteous and helpful when I order parts.

And Guess what my wife would like as her next car?  That right - Hyundai.  For someone who just wants a reliable car, they have got the package right in our experience.

But when it comes to putting a grin on your face - that will be the Jeep XJ.

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
On 13/02/2022 at 14:42, MGomes said:

Good to know! That does happen, some of our female Jeep gals here have experienced that at places…. Society still has a lot to learn!

I’ve been treated like that and a idiot in garages, until I told parts guys at Saab Southampton that they were talking crap, because the engine turbo doesn’t work like that. Then I told him on work on ships engines with Turbos larger than a Ford transits, so go away and get the parts manager, made a complaint. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member

My daughter has a RR Evoque (silly girl!! LOL) She was having probs with it, but they dismissed her opinions because, yeh you've guessed..!

I put my scanner on it, got the code, and told her to go back, with the code reading, tell them the code and what the problem was, and tell them her dad said so, and if you didn't look into it he would come round and read them their fortune! Car booked in, faulty sensor changed, job done! They just need their attitude modifying! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, jerryg said:

My daughter has a RR Evoque (silly girl!! LOL) She was having probs with it, but they dismissed her opinions because, yeh you've guessed..!

I put my scanner on it, got the code, and told her to go back, with the code reading, tell them the code and what the problem was, and tell them her dad said so, and if you didn't look into it he would come round and read them their fortune! Car booked in, faulty sensor changed, job done! They just need their attitude modifying! 

Garage behaviour like that I find disgusting, women can pay for their vehicles, but treated like silly little girls.
I also know plenty of men who know nothing about cars as well, but they won’t pull the same rubbish as they treat women, I just find the industry in that regard disgusting for half the population. 

• Like 3