Stone chips on the hinges - My personal headache

Chris85

• Platinum Member

Morning all

So, ive found that, given the nature of the tyres and the fact that the door hinges are on the outside, the hinges seem to be target practice for stones in the tyres. As a result we have quite a number of paint chips appearing.

Other than fitting mud guards what has everyone else found on this issue? Is there a reliable online shop to buy paint repair kits?

Cheers!

Hi @Chris85

Don't even try to get touch up paint from Jeep dealar. 🙂 It has been exactly 1 year since I have ordered and no information still. I even forgot about it. But what I have found that I got a set of touch up paint including primer, paint (as per you color code), and clear laquer from e-bay and delivered in 2 weeks. Touchec up my hinges where there are stone chips and even used for other touch ups where I needed. 

This option is of course it not as neat as professionals doing but maybe my lack of fine detailing. 🙂 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
38 minutes ago, Deniz said:

Hi @Chris85

Don't even try to get touch up paint from Jeep dealar. 🙂 It has been exactly 1 year since I have ordered and no information still. I even forgot about it. But what I have found that I got a set of touch up paint including primer, paint (as per you color code), and clear laquer from e-bay and delivered in 2 weeks. Touchec up my hinges where there are stone chips and even used for other touch ups where I needed. 

This option is of course it not as neat as professionals doing but maybe my lack of fine detailing. 🙂 

Ah, this sounds an ideal solution. Do you have a link to the ones you purchased? 

• Platinum Member

Oh that looks amazing. The chips we have are significantly bigger but given these photos I have high hopes 🙂

Honestly at first my OCD kicked in and wanted to make it perfect but now I am considering it kind of battle scars. Just wanted to eliminate the visual imperfections and if possible the rust issues. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member

This might help.

I have a trade 'only' private co. paint supplier   near me,. Their service is excellent, If you take in the vin and code ,they will mix whatever up at a very reasonable price , even though you get an aerosol and a touch up! After some digging and checking  They managed to come up with the right paint for the YJ when I went in a few years ago. The Yj is 27yrs old!

I guess there must be somewhere similar in London or Birmingham!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
21 minutes ago, digger said:

This might help.

I have a trade 'only' private co. paint supplier   near me,. Their service is excellent, If you take in the vin and code ,they will mix whatever up at a very reasonable price , even though you get an aerosol and a touch up! After some digging and checking  They managed to come up with the right paint for the YJ when I went in a few years ago. The Yj is 27yrs old!

I guess there must be somewhere similar in London or Birmingham!

Chers Digger. Whats the company called? (im East Mids)

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Deniz said:

Of course, just you need to find your colour one since mine is Punk'n Orange

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193313987434

Yeah that's the full set I got for mine last year & works a treat. (Comes from Latvia if memory serves & a hell of a lot cheaper)

Being a 2009 reg. (2007 build) hinges on mine are a bit 'lumpy' now but did help to tidy them up.

Used it on hinge screws which were starting to 'flake'

Paint code for black is PX8

As said, couldn't get touch up paint from dealers as they explained EU has now classified the paint as a corrosive material so unable to cross border, as are airbags which they now classify as explosive devices !

Talk about pram & rattle !

Edited by BLUE STAR
  • Confused 1

• Platinum Member

'Middleton paints and panels' Gloucester  Tel 01452 527351. 

Hope this helps, it was a couple of years ago but it looks the same company.

I would have thought you would have somewhere like it by you. If you do come down ,give me a shout before hand and if i'm home you are welcome to pop  for a brew its only a mile away from me!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I've used Chipex as the dealership didn't have Bikini metallic. It takes some practice to paint with a light touch. I've not perfected it yet 😆

But they colour matched perfectly. Comes with a blending solution as well.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, BLUE STAR said:

As said, couldn't get touch up paint from dealers as they explained EU has now classified the paint as a corrosive material so unable to cross border, as are airbags which they now classify as explosive devices !

Talk about pram & rattle !

That would be interesting if the UK Border Force required all incoming EU registered passenger cars to have their explosives removed before entering the UK. I presume UK registered vehicle built to EU type approval standards are still allowed to travel in and out of the EU?

Explosive charges are in seatbelt pre-tensioners too. They are often hidden in the base frame of the seat.

Edited by V