Spent my life savings - well, it felt like it!

Fourpot

• Platinum Member

Filled up the XJ for the first time since December 2019!  Since then I've been using my Skoda that would sup £70 of diesel at the most and last me ages at 50mpg.

Anyway, I filled up with ordinary unleaded, at a supermarket, not a rip-off motorway services or anything, just after the light came on, and I squeezed in £96 worth. I could have easily done £100. I have never had such an expensive fill-up ever since I started driving in 1979! (Apart from sticking 500 litres of diesel in a boat - but then I wasn't paying for it)

Edited by Fourpot
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

I am still considering converting my 2001 to LPG, and upgrading the system on my '93. I opted to lose boot space last time with the 55L LPG tank installed. I thought it would be better to keep the original petrol tank when I had it converted. In all the years I have had it, I think I have only filled the petrol tank a few times. I usually, just put 20 to 30 litres of petrol in it and that isn't very often (which is a serious problem now). A 55L LPG tank and a 30L petrol tank can be installed in the location occupied by the original tank keeping the CofG low and retaining my cargo capacity. My running costs on my 4.0L '93 are about the same as an old petrol Ford Focus.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I filled up my Jeep yesterday for the first time since I bought it (dealer gave me a full tank when I bought it).

Thought I'd treat it with some E5 / 97RON.

It's got an 82L tank and I had quarter of a tank left, so here's what a three-quarter fill looks like 🙈 🙉

B7BFAEE8-6643-4A13-933A-94011B31511D.thumb.jpeg.e0d2d82eb2ec83f186a364f8a9716759.jpeg

Yeah, ok... 😬

I tried not to look at this average MPG number too much either:

19D945E2-DF0E-495A-A41C-235EF7A2F1EE.thumb.jpeg.5be3fcbd6b3ce16ded24013bb0dc50f4.jpeg

But then again...

If I wanted a fuel efficient vehicle I'd have bought a normal car eh? 😎

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member

Is that the 2.0L petrol turbo ?  😬

My 2007 2.8CRD JKU gets double that just knocking around the doors or in 4 low around forest tracks etc

29 to 32 MPG (depending on wind speed & direction) keeping to around 60mph on longer runs on motorways.

Keeping the MAP & MAF sensors clean or replacing them makes a big difference.

• Platinum Member

I don't go into service stations having no immune system so pay at the pump. Darn things limit ya to £99. So, my Trackhawk which gets a solid 13mpg hits the limit easily as I can only burn 99 octane given the engine build.

You see why it is such a relief in our new JL to currently be getting 22mpg😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member
13 hours ago, Overlander21 said:

I filled up my Jeep yesterday for the first time since I bought it (dealer gave me a full tank when I bought it).

It's got an 82L tank and I had quarter of a tank left, so here's what a three-quarter fill looks like 🙈 🙉

B7BFAEE8-6643-4A13-933A-94011B31511D.thumb.jpeg.e0d2d82eb2ec83f186a364f8a9716759.jpeg

Yeah, ok... 😬

19D945E2-DF0E-495A-A41C-235EF7A2F1EE.thumb.jpeg.5be3fcbd6b3ce16ded24013bb0dc50f4.jpeg

But then again...

I have have a car rental (organized by Jeep CS for the last 3 weeks as they do some warranty work on Hank...) - Its interesting to drive a "normal car" (Nissan Xtrail) - I hit 45mpg driving at a speed that I will not mention in writing so pretty good - but... ITS SO BORING!!! lol - Its quiet, comfortable and dangerous (the other day I hit 120 as I was not looking at the speedometer...) - Cant wait to be driving my JLU again!

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, Ludders said:

Mine is consistently running 23-25 running on 97 octane. (Was 19-22 on the e10)

Well that is an illuminating test.

We've got a petrol 1.5LMazda 2 auto (£30 road Tax 😀) which gets most of the runabout duties and haven't yet put any E10 in the tank. Will keep using the E5

So it appears in the real world with all that  development using smaller engines with bristling electronics ain't  making that much of a difference compared to my old lifted 2.8CRD JKU on 34.5" tyres ?

Pity the V6 isn't available like it is in Australia.

Did have a 2 door V6 as a courtesy car for 2-3  days maybe  3 years back or so and found it nice but very thirsty.

I live on top of a steep hill and when I got my diesel back, I really noticed the difference with the ease it climbed that hill in comparison, but do like the sound of a petrol.

• Platinum Member
On 27/01/2022 at 21:00, Overlander21 said:

Yeah, ok... 😬

But then again...

Wow that's pricey!  Why the 'posh' expensive petrol though?

• 4 weeks later...

WK2 tank is 88 litre capacity; current local price of diesel is £1.569 / litre, so full tank (£120) needs extra security! I only half fill it to keep insurance premiums down.

Happily, I still get 23 mpg around the town (everything is within 1 mile radius, but the weather is too awful to walk), and around 35 on motorways at 70mph. In the "50" zones, it will turn in 42 mpg, but I don't have the patience for that when it's voluntary.

Edited by Gerald F
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1