Quick XJ question

JimC

• Platinum Member

I don't normally do this but we have received the following message via the Contact Us function. Normally I would say sign up for for free Silver Membership and post your question on the forum.

"hi I am trying to help the old boy up the road who has a jeep xj on a 1995 2.5 his problem is the high beam on the headlights will not stay on , but will if you hold the stork back. I thought it mite be a relay but i can not find which it would be ? so i thought id give you chap a shout for help , cheers."

Any suggestions to the question?

• Platinum Member

I don’t know the XJ at all, but I had a disco 2 ( 🙈 I know I’m sorry ) many years ago that done exactly the same thing. 

inside the stork in effect was a small rocker switch which was just worn, so if you pushed the stork into place it would operate but was slightly out of shape to hold the contact when you let go. 

just needed cleaning and bending a little back into shape. Maybe the same on the XJ. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

It probably needs a new multifunction switch stalk. The internals are not particularly strong and wear out or just break.

My 40Kg Alaskan Malamute jumped into the front footwell of my Voyager one day. This was quite a feat for him considering how large he was. The turn signal function on the multifunction switch broke as he escaped from his uncomfortable confinement. Jeep used a lot of Chrysler stalk designs in the past.

Edited by V
  • Like 2

• Platinum Member

No. It's really frustrating, some of the early XJs had different stalks in the UK to the US models and they were different to Chryslers. Cruise control introduced even more variations across model years. My '93 has everything on one stalk while some other years have two stalks. The early XJ switch gear was more likely sourced from 80's era AMC or Renault parts bins.

Edited by V

• Platinum Member

I have never compared the top of the steering columns between early and late XJ. If they are the same, or the early airbag equipped models are the same as late models, it may be possible to swap in late switch gear. It would really be nice if they used the same plugs to avoid having to rewire that part.

• Platinum Member
35 minutes ago, V said:

Renault

I keep forgetting that the XJ started off as a sort of Renault or rather Renault designed.