Brake light housing issue

MattRuggD

• Platinum Member

Hi all!

I'm just fitting a pair of brake light guards on my TJ but need to pick your collective brains for a couple of issues.

1) I fitted the nearside cover absolutely fine (pic to show off paint match to the bodywork🤪).

However, when I went to put the offside one on, the cable was too short to be able to pull it out of the hole?!

...Most annoying!

Is there anyway that by me installing the first cover, it disturbed the cabling to the other brake light housing unit?   Has anyone encountered this issue before or is it just me?😅

2) Video. After stepping back and getting  everything reassembled, I spotted indicator/brake light flickering. 🤦‍♂️ How in the heck do I fix that?😅

Thank you in advance if you've got any ideas on the above probs!

Matt

20220120_144229.jpg

• Sad 1

• Platinum Member

@V @otruk

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. 😊

Was just checking online; apparently it's a bit of an issue with these cages, something to do with the screws? The grey one is the original and bronze is the new one, it's got some strange plastic washer on it, could be the cause?

Genuinely haven't noticed an issue before with my lights until now.

_

Still scratching my head about the other issue; not having enough length in the cables to pull the connector out of the body. It's like there's zero extension in the wires.

20220120_193119.jpg

• Platinum Member

I haven't had a TJ for a long time. I've done wiring in the back of the tub before many years ago. I vaguely remember having to remove the carpet around the rear corners of the tub to get access to something but I can't remember what the job was. Perhaps there isn't enough cable to connect from outside the tub, only from inside. If there is a way for Chrysler to penny pinch by removing 2" of wire, you can be sure they did it.

• Like 1

I’m sure you can access the rear light cluster wires from underneath the rear wing there is a rubber peice that fills the hole like a flap … pull it down and you can then see / access the wires…. There probably just hung up on something 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I changed my rear light to american leds with red indicators!😫 ( I didnt realise at the time!)  Anyway I do believe that the screw are the earth so if they dont conduct that might be the issue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, John said:

I’m sure you can access the rear light cluster wires from underneath the rear wing there is a rubber peice that fills the hole like a flap … pull it down and you can then see / access the wires…. There probably just hung up on something 

It was just on the cusp of losing the light this afternoon  and the temperatures plummeted so I sealed everything up but I know exactly where you mean.

Will deffo have a poke around in that space tomorrow.🤞🤞🤞

• Platinum Member
33 minutes ago, otruk said:

I changed my rear light to american leds with red indicators!😫 ( I didnt realise at the time!)  Anyway I do believe that the screw are the earth so if they dont conduct that might be the issue.

Nooooooo ahhh what a bummer !!   Yeah the more I think on it, and especially now yourselves and other have said similar, I think (HOPE) it is the issue! Thnx for the reply! 🤙

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, John said:

Thanks John, Yeah I think that might be the way, see if I can find away through the underside, maybe its snagged on something in there. Appreciate the tip!🤙

• Platinum Member
10 hours ago, otruk said:

I guess the options for replacement rear lights is pretty limited, given they will be being targeted at the US market.  So guards are a good thing to add.