...realised my brake modification may not pass MoT

V

• Platinum Member

My 1993 XJ had the factory fitted ABS removed 20 years ago. I modified the OEM brake balance valve back then to work with the new ZJ rear disc brakes. This has been fine for decades but the balance valve has failed and I have treated my 29 year old brake components to a refresh. Sadly, original parts are no longer available new. So I upgraded my 1993 to 2001 non-ABS XJ specification instead to match my other XJ. I chose not to use the TJ Rubicon balance valve this time and bought a Wilwood adjustable valve. This greatly improves the safety of the brakes by giving the Jeep an extra fail safe of a split front circuit. The OEM balance valve was both front brakes on the same front circuit. The Wilwood also enables me to precisely adjust my rear brake hydraulics so I get maximum braking without locking up the rear tyres. MoT rollers are useful for this.

My problem is that I'm not sure if my Jeep has to have a low pressure warning lamp for the brake hydraulics. The OEM balance valve had a pressure differential switch, my Wilwood doesn't. I can make an electronic circuit that does the lamp test and uses three pressure switches, one in each circuit to monitor the pressure, but I would rather not have make this before the MoT next week.

I found this MoT guidance note, but the second paragraph of 1.1.4 has got me confused. What does it mean?

• Platinum Member

I had an idea that may just need a relay or a latching relay to add to the circuit between the brake pedal switch, the Wilwood pressure switch and the instrument cluster. I need to poke around with a multimeter in the loom plug for the OEM balance valve to see what the signal states are.

Edited by V

You don't need worry unless the ULW (un laden weight) of your vehicle is over 3050kg and fitted with air brakes:

A vehicle with an ULW up to and including 3,050kg with a reservoir coupled direct to the induction manifold or a reservoir integral in a servo unit, is not necessarily required to be fitted with a warning device.

This is aimed at Light Goods Vehicles.

Edited by Ludders
  • Like 1

• Platinum Member

i think that the low pressure warning part ( 1.1.4)is for vehicles with full hydraulic power brakes, such as Citroen's used to have, where you had a warning lamp of low hydraulic pressure at the accumulator. 

• Platinum Member

Thanks. That's great news. I finished the plumbing for the master cylinder this evening and I was worried I would have to fit an OEM balance valve.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

no problem Vince, good luck with the MOT, i can understand your concern on a MOT for a heavily modified truck, but i am sure you have a understanding tester, which are getting harder to find these crazy days.

• Like 1