2006 Grand Cherokee Engine Rattle

Nguruve

• Platinum Member

Morning All,

Apologies for dumping a "Technical" topic in the "General Chat" section – apparently I'm not a sufficiently seasoned member of JOC to start a new "Technical" topic!

On a cold morning recently, my 2006 CRD WK needed jumpstarting, as it often does on cold mornings, despite a new heavy-duty battery and all new Bosch glow plugs. After jumping it, I noticed a bit of a rattle – sounds timing-chain related, but I realise there's a plethora of things that can cause an engine rattle. 

Any thoughts?

My first plan is to change the timing chain tensioner. Has anyone here changed the tensioner on an OM642 timing chain? Looks like it's simple-ish to access from the side of the engine, just above the alternator; but I'm not sure if everything will flop out of time once the tensioner is removed!

I'll post a link to a video of the rattle once my poor rural internet allows me to upload one!

22 hours ago, Nguruve said:

Morning All,

Apologies for dumping a "Technical" topic in the "General Chat" section – apparently I'm not a sufficiently seasoned member of JOC to start a new "Technical" topic!

On a cold morning recently, my 2006 CRD WK needed jumpstarting, as it often does on cold mornings, despite a new heavy-duty battery and all new Bosch glow plugs. After jumping it, I noticed a bit of a rattle – sounds timing-chain related, but I realise there's a plethora of things that can cause an engine rattle. 

Any thoughts?

My first plan is to change the timing chain tensioner. Has anyone here changed the tensioner on an OM642 timing chain? Looks like it's simple-ish to access from the side of the engine, just above the alternator; but I'm not sure if everything will flop out of time once the tensioner is removed!

I'll post a link to a video of the rattle once my poor rural internet allows me to upload one!

Often thought my WK (2005 vintage) sounded a bit  'rattley' when starting from cold in the winter, but it usually settled after ten minutes or so. Like that for the five years or so that we owned it. The WK2 seems a little the same, at times, but it's otherwise well. On the other hand, the WK never needed jump starting, and was only on its second battery when sold, aged 11 years.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Thank you Gerald F, that is helpful. I'm inclined to change the tensioner, then ignore the rattle if that doesn't sort it.