2020 Rubicon Wheels and Tyres for Sale

Deniz

Hi fellow Jeepers,

I have decided to upgrade my suspension at Buzz SP at the first week of February and consequently my wheels and tyres are going to change as well.

So before I advertise from various portals I'd like to ask here that maybe anyone interested in buying a set of Rubicon wheels & tyres. 

17" wheels have wrapped by 33" (I think) BF Goodrich KM2 mud-terrain tyres. (will give more information on size) 

I am looking for £1100 for 5 and I don't mind to travel if it is a reasonable journey 🙂

I'll be giving more information as soon as

I'm back home regarding the condition of tyres but as you can expect spare tyre is not used and others made 5500miles on tarmac mostly.

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-14 at 13.14.41.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UKTJ said:

One useful bit of info will be the back spacing on the wheel.

Thanks for such a detailed question and that what I found on the web. 

The stock JL Rubicon wheel has 6 1/8" of backspacing, or an offset of +44 mm.

5 hours ago, Deniz said:

Hi fellow Jeepers,

I have decided to upgrade my suspension at Buzz SP at the first week of February and consequently my wheels and tyres are going to change as well.

So before I advertise from various portals I'd like to ask here that maybe anyone interested in buying a set of Rubicon wheels & tyres. 

17" wheels have wrapped by 33" (I think) BF Goodrich KM2 mud-terrain tyres. (will give more information on size) 

I am looking for £1100 for 5 and I don't mind to travel if it is a reasonable journey 🙂

I'm back home regarding the condition of tyres but as you can expect spare tyre is not used and others made 5500miles on tarmac mostly.

Update:

Tyse size is 255/75R17

Spare tyre is not used and other 4 tyres have 17mm tread.

DC797BF2-2B79-4137-9DAD-E9204B8759E2.jpeg

C0B6A187-FF89-4529-BFE5-3420766FD703.jpeg

D3570D6C-559D-4FBA-ADD1-179A35C16453.jpeg

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Deniz said:

Thanks for such a detailed question and that what I found on the web. 

The stock JL Rubicon wheel has 6 1/8" of backspacing, or an offset of +44 mm.

OK, thanks fo that.  Sounds like they would have too much backspacing for me.  Hopefully of interest to somebody else.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

They wont fit without adapters as the bolt pattern has a different PCD to the TJ. YJ, XJ, ZJ, TJ and LJ are 5 on 4.5".

All later Grand Cherokee, Commander and Wranglers have 5 on 5" which was a stupid design choice as the CJ had the best size for a Jeep which was 5 on 5.5". This had big wheel bearings for the Dana 44 front axle spindles and hubs but I guess Chrysler saved a few cents on the smaller unit bearings.

The smaller the hub's PCD, the smaller the wheel bearing inside it. The smaller the wheel bearing the quicker it wears out with bigger tyres.

Suzuki standardised on 5 on 5.5" for all of the Jimny models.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, V said:

They wont fit without adapters as the bolt pattern has a different PCD to the TJ. YJ, XJ, ZJ, TJ and LJ are 5 on 4.5".

All later Grand Cherokee, Commander and Wranglers have 5 on 5" which was a stupid design choice as the CJ had the best size for a Jeep which was 5 on 5.5". This had big wheel bearings for the Dana 44 front axle spindles and hubs but I guess Chrysler saved a few cents on the smaller unit bearings.

The smaller the hub's PCD, the smaller the wheel bearing inside it. The smaller the wheel bearing the quicker it wears out with bigger tyres.

Suzuki standardised on 5 on 5.5" for all of the Jimny models.

Yes, realise I can run a combined adapter / spacer, but it would need to be pretty chunky.

• Platinum Member

Depending on brand, adapters are usually 1.25" to 1.5" thick, roughly 32mm-38mm.

I don't know the actual width of the JL wheel. A bead letter in the casting would be good for determining width. I will take a guess that it is 7.5J (J = passenger car bead)

Going on a width of 7.5" and an offset of 44mm, I calculate backspacing to be smaller than 6 1/8" perhaps this is the rim to mounting face measurement.

7.5" x 25.4mm = 190.5mm wheel width

190.5 / 2 = 95.25mm to centreline of wheel

95.25mm + 44mm offset = 139.25mm backspacing

139.25mm / 25.4mm = 5.48 which is approximately 5.5" backspacing, 5.25" if the wheel is 7J

As far as I know, the stated wheel width is bead-mounting-face to bead-mounting-face, not rim to rim which is bigger. Confusion would mess up suspension geometry calculations between various alloy and steel wheels when using backspacing to design a setup. Perhaps that's why the industry uses offsets now.

If I am right, a 1.5" adapter would reduce the effective backspacing to 4" (=5.5 - 1.5) with an offset of 6mm (44 - 38). At a guess, I reckon these wheels with the 32" tyres and 1.5" adapters would fit on a TJ with a 2" lift. Adapters can be a pain as I found out last year when mine had seized to my hubs.

• Like 2

Yeah I think I saw a TJ with rubicon wheels on Facebook once and it requires adapters. But it’s very well written (even scientific) @V 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

On 14/01/2022 at 13:50, Deniz said:

Hi fellow Jeepers,

Update:

Tyse size is 255/75R17

Spare tyre is not used and other 4 tyres have 17mm tread.

• Platinum Member

That's a really good find!

It is interesting that they have used backspacing as the distance from wheel mounting surface to rim and not wheel mounting surface to bead. This would mean a different backspacing would be required for steel wheels and alloy wheels to get the same scrub radius. Using the offset measurement in geometry avoids making an error selecting the right wheel size to keep your steering feel the same as stock.

So I checked the catalogue of my favourite 4x4 wheel manufacturer and they no longer make a steel wheel with the same geometry as an alloy wheel. All of the offsets in the steel wheel range are different to the offsets in the alloy wheels of the same diameter and width. I am certain this wasn't the case when I last bought steel wheels for my Jeep twenty years ago. It used to be a simple case of choosing steel or alloy and they had the same critical dimensions. It has made me wonder now, have I been wrong for 40 years about backspacing being measured from the bead? Everywhere I looked today shows backspacing being measured from the rim.

Rim based backspacing is a useless measurement as there is no standard wheel rim thickness. The rim thickness depends on the strength of the material used for the application. Which is why 4x4 specific alloy wheels have thicker rims than car alloy wheels of the same size. When modifying vehicle I have only used backspacing as a quick and easy guide for running clearances, for geometry I always use offset. I guess it is time to forget backspacing altogether. It's only use in geometry now is to calculate how large the bead to rim dimension is for knuckle clearance.

It's a shame that this calculator is specific to MacPherson and Chapman struts. It only gives adjustment for suspension clearance at the spring seat, no kingpin angle. For a solid axle you really need the kingpin angle (axis between the knuckle ball joints) to determine the scrub radius accurately. For a Wrangler, this calculator is useful for working out clearances for bigger tyres and suspension lift requirements but I wouldn't use it for the scrub radius. Even if you did the trigonometry to calculate a suitable value for 'suspension clearance', you would still have to know the height from the ground the program uses for suspension clearance in order to get the scrub radius correct. It is still a very useful calculator for modelling changes quickly, thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2022 at 13:50, Deniz said:

Hi fellow Jeepers,

Good morning,

Finally my upgrades have been completed and I picked up the beast. 

So I have listed my wheels and tyres on Facebook as well but I'd like to give an advantage of being a JOC member 🙂 

• I've decided to list the Wheels & Tyres for £1000 from here
  • If anyone insterested as well Wheels & Tyres & Shocks & Springs for £1500

If anyone interested we can work the delivery out since I like a fair bit of driving 🙂 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
34 minutes ago, Deniz said:

Good morning,

Finally my upgrades have been completed and I picked up the beast. 

So I have listed my wheels and tyres on Facebook as well but I'd like to give an advantage of being a JOC member 🙂 

• I've decided to list the Wheels & Tyres for £1000 from here
  • If anyone insterested as well Wheels & Tyres & Shocks & Springs for £1500

If anyone interested we can work the delivery out since I like a fair bit of driving 🙂 

Any photos of the uprated beast? 😁😁😁😁

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
3 minutes ago, Deniz said:

of course @spookie the aardvark  it's not handling the weight we are putting properly.

image.png.b300ca9aa81098dd41ff23d86dde28c4.png

Wow that looks amazing 👍👍👍👍

What are the problems you have since the work was done? 

We can't say problems but when we put all our camping equipment and the other stuff the back of the Jeep was sagging a bit. It is because we are usually going for long trips and long term it could affect the performance of shocks and springs I think. And with the all weight it was a bit jumpy on the uneven road on motorway for instance. Since i am always a bit overdesigning those safety stuff I might overdid it with the Jeep as well. But what the heck it looks great 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Only problem is now storing the take offs 🙂 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
18 minutes ago, Deniz said:

We can't say problems but when we put all our camping equipment and the other stuff the back of the Jeep was sagging a bit. It is because we are usually going for long trips and long term it could affect the performance of shocks and springs I think. And with the all weight it was a bit jumpy on the uneven road on motorway for instance. Since i am always a bit overdesigning those safety stuff I might overdid it with the Jeep as well. But what the heck it looks great 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Only problem is now storing the take offs 🙂 

Has the lift and new wheels/tyres solved the problem or is it still there? 

• Platinum Member
spookie the aardvark
24 minutes ago, Deniz said:

@spookie the aardvarkyeah sure they did. It is more solid now even with all 5 wheels and tyres at the back with all those weight.

That is great news, hope you can get out and enjoy your improved beast 😁😁😁👍👍👍

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals 🤗

After checking other similar listings in either eBay or Facebook seems like my price a bit high. So I have decided to list it to £900 but I can go a little bit lower for JOC members. 

But before changing my listings I wanted to ask first here if anyone interested in. I’ll wait a little in case anyone from JOC wants.

• Like 1