Lisboa....

doodle

• Platinum Member

Morning Jeeple..

Have any of you, during this weird time, driven to Portugal? is it a painful process at the moment?

wondered how much of a pain in the ass it will be- if indeed at all/

I have been considering it for July, I realize that factors are changing constantly at the moment but thought id ask anyway..

tbh if anyone has driven it before i would be interested to hear you ups and downs- so too speak!

The plan was/is to stay a few nights on the way through in France and Or Spain possibly. I have more than likely ruled out doing the Spain ferry crossing

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, doodle said:

Morning Jeeple..

Have any of you, during this weird time, driven to Portugal? is it a painful process at the moment?

wondered how much of a pain in the ass it will be- if indeed at all/

I have been considering it for July, I realize that factors are changing constantly at the moment but thought id ask anyway..

tbh if anyone has driven it before i would be interested to hear you ups and downs- so too speak!

The plan was/is to stay a few nights on the way through in France and Or Spain possibly. I have more than likely ruled out doing the Spain ferry crossing

I think (as you said) things might change from day-to-night… so a little bit like the Salisbury plain, “check your route the night before and double check before you start” lol

Double check what each country is doing, even regionally - I know in some regions in France you must wear masks even outside…

Its a long drive (24 hours non-stop if you are that mad 😂) - but some nice views on the way (the Pyrenees crossing is beautiful) - and you can explore (if wish) the Portuguese/Spanish border, filled with castles and history (I’m an old nerd) - that is my favourite area in Portugal (I am Portuguese, native from Lisbon lol) - note that as much as you will be incredibly welcome - depending on how bad our government is doing here (Agree with it or not, our government COVID policy is not well seen in most of Continental Europe) you might find some challenges if for instance borders are closed between Portugal and Spain (the Portuguese government did close the border multiple times during the pandemic)

Hopefully the new normal will be settled and there won’t be a new wave in July this year and you will get to have a lot of fun!

• Like 2

We are planning a 1 month long trip in Spain and Portugal in May (some people say overlanding but we'll see 🙂 ) As @MGomessaid nothing is certain at the moment. But we will be taking ferry and planning to book that as flexible as possible just in case. I hope all of there restrictions will ease by that time but who knows 🙂 

In this case I think the most imporant issue is Covid restrictions for each country. One might request PCR one doesn't and those restrictions are changning very frequently. Have fun with your trip...

• Like 3

We usually drive to Spain and back twice a year, though only once a year since Covid struck. Although the ferry to Santander, or to Bilbao once a week, is at least as quick as driving through France, and costs roughly the same when fuel, accommodation and tolls are added up, a day and a half on someone else's boat across Biscay can be challenging. 

Our journey is part of the fun and, over the past 18 years, we have tried almost every route toward Valencia. Don't miss the opportunity to make the journey out and back a major part of the tour!

There are lots of routes across the Pyrenées which make having a Jeep worthwhile. They may be slower than the A10 autoroute down the West coast of France and straight to San Sebastian from Biarritz, but we routinely get to Spain in two easy days driving, even towing a caravan or other trailer over the Somport Pass. Head down past Pamplona, to the Rioja region and on to the even better wines in Ribeira del Duero, with Segovia and Burgos as lovely cities en route. I must confess to never having reached Portugal, as our house is on the East coast of Spain, but we have taken routes as above on several occasions. 

It is probably a good idea to get a windscreen gadget to manage the motorway toll payments; very useful in France an Spain, and essential in Portugal if you expect to use any toll roads; they can be purchased for a few Euros online, and you pay for what you have used, at a discounted rate. Otherwise, a credit card will work, but not in Portugal unless you arrange it in advance.

We left Spain in late November last year, and had no difficulty at the French border (no-one there; only the road signs showed we had reached France), and stopped in hotels along the way; everywhere was very Covid aware, and mask wearing is compulsory in every shop, bar and restaurant. The latter two will insist on a 'covid passport', preferably as an app on your phone, especially in France. The ferry company is very particular about masks, as well; anyone claiming to be "exempt" is required to go directly to their cabin and remain there for the entire journey, and in public areas masks can only be removed when actually seated and eating/drinking.  If you are vaccinated, you shouldn't have any problem entering the EU, but life will be difficult if you are not. As for lockdowns and other travel restrictions, just make sure you don't have any unbreakable appointments, and be prepared to be flexible. When we returned from Spain in October 2020, we had to change our route and ferry bookings three times due to changes in Spain, France, Germany and the UK. Fortunately we had a caravan with us, so could isolate all the way back to Shetland.

Don't forget that one of the 'benefits' of Brexit is that you cannot take any meat or dairy products, even for personal use, into the EU without certificates of compliance with current EU regulations; we just shop in France as soon as we get there, since there's better choices, better prices, and well-stocked shelves. Fuel is cheaper in France, and even less in Spain. There's a cheap filling station on the edge of Ouistreham (Caen), and also just as you leave the port of Bilbao; otherwise, as in the UK, supermarket pumps are cheapest.

Enjoy the trip! We are tentatively planning to visit Portugal next autumn, from the Costa Blanca, and we would be interested to see any post of your experiences.

Gerald

At the Border between France and Spain

1796596977_border(1).thumb.jpg.59ad3e2754049b85949ba508ad2ff166.jpg

• Like 5

• Platinum Member
57 minutes ago, Gerald F said:

We usually drive to Spain and back twice a year, though only once a year since Covid struck. Although the ferry to Santander, or to Bilbao once a week, is at least as quick as driving through France, and costs roughly the same when fuel, accommodation and tolls are added up, a day and a half on someone else's boat across Biscay can be challenging. 

Our journey is part of the fun and, over the past 18 years, we have tried almost every route toward Valencia. Don't miss the opportunity to make the journey out and back a major part of the tour!

There are lots of routes across the Pyrenées which make having a Jeep worthwhile. They may be slower than the A10 autoroute down the West coast of France and straight to San Sebastian from Biarritz, but we routinely get to Spain in two easy days driving, even towing a caravan or other trailer over the Somport Pass. Head down past Pamplona, to the Rioja region and on to the even better wines in Ribeira del Duero, with Segovia and Burgos as lovely cities en route. I must confess to never having reached Portugal, as our house is on the East coast of Spain, but we have taken routes as above on several occasions. 

It is probably a good idea to get a windscreen gadget to manage the motorway toll payments; very useful in France an Spain, and essential in Portugal if you expect to use any toll roads; they can be purchased for a few Euros online, and you pay for what you have used, at a discounted rate. Otherwise, a credit card will work, but not in Portugal unless you arrange it in advance.

We left Spain in late November last year, and had no difficulty at the French border (no-one there; only the road signs showed we had reached France), and stopped in hotels along the way; everywhere was very Covid aware, and mask wearing is compulsory in every shop, bar and restaurant. The latter two will insist on a 'covid passport', preferably as an app on your phone, especially in France. The ferry company is very particular about masks, as well; anyone claiming to be "exempt" is required to go directly to their cabin and remain there for the entire journey, and in public areas masks can only be removed when actually seated and eating/drinking.  If you are vaccinated, you shouldn't have any problem entering the EU, but life will be difficult if you are not. As for lockdowns and other travel restrictions, just make sure you don't have any unbreakable appointments, and be prepared to be flexible. When we returned from Spain in October 2020, we had to change our route and ferry bookings three times due to changes in Spain, France, Germany and the UK. Fortunately we had a caravan with us, so could isolate all the way back to Shetland.

Don't forget that one of the 'benefits' of Brexit is that you cannot take any meat or dairy products, even for personal use, into the EU without certificates of compliance with current EU regulations; we just shop in France as soon as we get there, since there's better choices, better prices, and well-stocked shelves. Fuel is cheaper in France, and even less in Spain. There's a cheap filling station on the edge of Ouistreham (Caen), and also just as you leave the port of Bilbao; otherwise, as in the UK, supermarket pumps are cheapest.

Enjoy the trip! We are tentatively planning to visit Portugal next autumn, from the Costa Blanca, and we would be interested to see any post of your experiences.

Gerald

At the Border between France and Spain

1796596977_border(1).thumb.jpg.59ad3e2754049b85949ba508ad2ff166.jpg

Loved the "Brexit Benefits" comment lol (as someone to used to drive to France regularly for shopping I have surely felt it lol - but lets not go there 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Member

@Gerald F and @MGomesmany thanks for that. My other half is Portuguese and the MIL especially has never "been" driven to Portugal so she especially is keen on the idea as she is now getting on a bit. I did say we would go by Jeep- but i cannot look passed the £750 ish return flights but, as mentioned, it all works out to approx. the same when everything is added ie hire cars, tolls, hotels etc.

We have all been vax'd although her mum hasnt got a smart phone so that could be interesting..

I think i need to seriously still think about it as i reckon its still a go! However i did say that it wont happen unless the Jeep is lifted! so priorities are number one

I travelled regularly down to the Auvergne region of France ( before covid) in the TJ so it will be nice and comfortable in the JKU! 😃

• Like 4

1 hour ago, doodle said:

We have all been vax'd although her mum hasnt got a smart phone so that could be interesting..

I think i need to seriously still think about it as i reckon its still a go! However i did say that it wont happen unless the Jeep is lifted! so priorities are number one

A paper copy of the vaccination record should suffice, so long as it has a 'QR' code on it (Scottish ones do), or you might put her details on an iPad/tablet; I've seen both used on occasion.

I'm never quite sure how important a lift, is; we've only had standard Grand Cherokees, plus one Land Rover. That last had the best ground clearance, but it was the only one we've had to have pulled out after becoming stuck, and the Jeeps have been variously across Iceland, into the Sahara in Morocco, green-laning in Scotland, Scandinavia, France, and Germany, as well as mountain tracks in the Pyrenées and Sierra Nevada. Admittedly, our WK2 has a lift (at the push of a button!), but it's rarely needed, except in snow. Does a lift affect the ride and handling of a JKU?

• Like 3

• Platinum Member

Tbh a lift will improve the ride quality and handling. 

It's not necessary - it was just more me bribing my lift on quicker. 😁

Id have to by a small set of steps for mil to get in anyway.  She needs it really for it standard anyhow..

Yes she'll have the card - iPad is a good idea for hers as well. 

Yeah had the anniversary wk2. Great jeep just not a wrangler. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
13 hours ago, Gerald F said:

A paper copy of the vaccination record should suffice, so long as it has a 'QR' code on it (Scottish ones do), or you might put her details on an iPad/tablet; I've seen both used on occasion.

I'm never quite sure how important a lift, is; we've only had standard Grand Cherokees, plus one Land Rover. That last had the best ground clearance, but it was the only one we've had to have pulled out after becoming stuck, and the Jeeps have been variously across Iceland, into the Sahara in Morocco, green-laning in Scotland, Scandinavia, France, and Germany, as well as mountain tracks in the Pyrenées and Sierra Nevada. Admittedly, our WK2 has a lift (at the push of a button!), but it's rarely needed, except in snow. Does a lift affect the ride and handling of a JKU?

Would love to travel to Iceland in the Jeep though!

• Platinum Member
15 hours ago, doodle said:

@Gerald F and @MGomesmany thanks for that. My other half is Portuguese and the MIL especially has never "been" driven to Portugal so she especially is keen on the idea as she is now getting on a bit. I did say we would go by Jeep- but i cannot look passed the £750 ish return flights but, as mentioned, it all works out to approx. the same when everything is added ie hire cars, tolls, hotels etc.

I travelled regularly down to the Auvergne region of France ( before covid) in the TJ so it will be nice and comfortable in the JKU! 😃

I have though of doing a road trip back home (and maybe not tell the family otherwise the holiday is wasted LOL - I'm really not the typical Portuguesa immigrant that spends all his holidays back home ahahah) - but you have to account for at least a couple days each way (or longer if you are doing it more as a "road trip") - now that its just the tow of us and the dogs I might consider it in the next few years. RE the MIL - you can request a letter from the NHS as evidence that you have been vaccinated (I had to request one for myself as evidence to a charity I volunteer with) - that will suffice for her. I have a JLU so the level of comfort is amazing (just need Jeep to sort out some big niggles atm) - I have a Nissan Xtrail as replacement car as they look at the JLU and if you ignore the noise form the tires (expected and preferred) I still prefer the JLU!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
16 hours ago, doodle said:

As I finished typing  remembered something else! Another "Brexit Perk" is that British Citizens no longer have free healthcare in the EU - I still do, as I have a Portuguese passport (if your OH doesn't have it she can request an EHiC) - YOU, as her partner are also entitled to free healthcare in the EU - make sure yo all have an updated EHIC card as it covers all medical expenses (if you need them) for your journey

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
30 minutes ago, MGomes said:

As I finished typing  remembered something else! Another "Brexit Perk" is that British Citizens no longer have free healthcare in the EU - I still do, as I have a Portuguese passport (if your OH doesn't have it she can request an EHiC) - YOU, as her partner are also entitled to free healthcare in the EU - make sure yo all have an updated EHIC card as it covers all medical expenses (if you need them) for your journey

Yes very good point. 

She's a keeper! And has all her Portuguese passports etc  We updated all ours last year I think. Will double check with her though. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
58 minutes ago, doodle said:

Yes very good point. 

She's a keeper! And has all her Portuguese passports etc  We updated all ours last year I think. Will double check with her though. 

My OH only stays with me for the free EU healthcare as well LOL

• Haha 1

On 12/01/2022 at 10:37, doodle said:

Would love to travel to Iceland in the Jeep though!

Iceland is a Jeep Wonderland, though it is illegal to go "off road". This is one of the better roads, inland, however, and many are more challenging!

Iceland 010.jpg

• Like 1