Hank is sick part 2 1/2

MGomes

• Platinum Member

I realize this is a long article- so instead of putting it as a comment on my last post I though of creating a new one and add it to the General Chat for everyone’s visibility so that we are all aware of the great things about owning a Jeep and some of the unfortunate challenges….

The positives - The great Support from Jeep Customer Services! The not so positive - not a great experience with my local dealer (once this is repaired Hank will never go back...)

So as “Hank’s Novel” continues, I thought I would share more in-depth details to all the JOC Members on this case, as it seems a fair few (not all) Jeep dealerships are not prepared to work with Rubicon’s that are used for what they were built – might be a long read – but here is a detailed timeline of events with my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0 Turbo (Currently with 20K miles / Registered Dec 2018 – Jeep warranty until Dec 2023)

Issue 1

30th September 2021 when driving I had a few warning lights that showed up on my dashboard:

1.       4WD Maintenance

2.       Disconnect sway bar not working

3.       Auto-stop not working

4.       Engine management light

5.       ABS

After all this the car literally stopped working and as I had not been provided all the correct information from the dealership I called the RAC, not Jeep Recovery (which meant the dealership did not put a request for a loan car)…

The dealership took the stance that “as the car had been off road” they would not cover any repairs under warranty – after an escalation with Jeep CS and Technical and with the support of the JOC, Jeep took the stance to repair the car on a “good will gesture” instead of warranty (no loan car provided). The car was given back to myself after a few weeks with the comment “faulty earth connection on ABS system”, but no further comments on what parts were replaced/repaired. Engine bay had been pressure washed (badly) with water and the bonnet insulation damaged on the process (as I am a cynical person I have photographic evidence of this – who knows when its needed!)

NOTE: Jeep CS confirmed that the dealership logged the “repair” as “engine bay cleaned” (no parts repaired or replaced)

Issue 2

When driving home I noticed the car was overheating, and when I got home called Jeep Assistance. They sent 2 mechanics, and they confirmed that the “main coolant tank” was empty and no leaks were found in the system. Basically the dealership delivered the car to myself without test driving it or checking fluid level – it is lucky the engine did not seize. The cause for this was mud on the back of the radiator; and this should have not been a warranty claim, but due to negligence form the dealership I was not asked to pay for the repair (Radiator removed, flushed and washed and put back on) – note, the front gills of the radiator are now bent due to pressure washer jets

As I have always serviced my cars with main dealerships (In the past I have had Vauxhall’s, Honda’s, Mercedes and VW’s) – not being a mechanic I prefer to have the vehicles serviced by “Experts”, as such on the 22nd December I booked a Service with the same dealership (Snow’s Jeep – Southampton) to give the dealership the opportunity to rove themselves as a “Proper Jeep dealership” as check what would happen as a “paying customer” (and not just a stranger that demands warranty work). The team was courteous with myself, serviced the care, replaced a few parts and found a couple of additional warranty issues (minor electric issues with lights) – but nothing else was found wrong with the car

RECURRING PROBLEM – ISSUE 1

New Case (01140271) opened with Jeep CS on Thursday 6th of October after the car breaking down exactly with the same problems as reported on the first case. Due to my past experience with the dealership, and as the issue appears to be exactly the same as before (I am not mechanically inclined, but engine bay cleaning with water doesn’t seem to be a “fix” on a £50K car), again Jeep CS confirmed over the phone that Snows Jeep Southampton logged the “repair” as “Engine bay cleaned” (no parts replaced and no further checks done despite the fact multiple warning lights we up when I picked up the car)

Comments from Jeep Recovery were – “you should get a replacement car for this issue but we can only issue replacement cars between 17:00 and 08:00 (out of hours) – within “office hours” it is the responsibility of the Jeep dealership to provide these – but a replacement car should be provided at the moment my car arrives at the dealership”

On Monday 10th Jan, 4 days after the car arrived @ Snow’s Jeep Southampton Jeep Cs contacted the dealership and the Service Manager confirmed that they believed to have put a request for a replacement car but didn’t – they promised they would do it straight away. Jeep CS confirmed that I should receive a call from Enterprise to arrange for a replacement car today. I have requested Jeep CS for Jeep and the dealer to take their time diagnosing the issue with the car, the dealership is so blinded with “mud” that they are more than likely missing the bigger picture as they are not diagnosing the issues correctly – there are know issues with 2018 JLU’s 2.0 Turbo where due to a mechanical fault when changing from 2WD to 4WD small metal particles get into the engine bay causing similar symptoms to the ones presented in my car – I have asked to look into this as well

Once this is looked at I am tempted to find a different dealership and have the car looked at from an independent point of view – since the first “repair” I have been paranoid about using the car – you all have seen reports from Spookie here of our “little adventures on the Salisbury Plain” and I always take the easy route, avoid deep muddy water and actually the stance has been “if the Renegades cannot go there, I will not” (thinking – no one can state I have not been extremely careful with this car)… fact is the Rubicon is an amazing vehicle and truly capable, but this one is “sick” and I need someone that knows what they are doing to fix it so I can enjoy it properly

Regardless of what the issue is – I have asked Jeep for a proper tech bulleting on this car – I have explained that I will not accept the comment “contamination” as the Wrangler Rubicon s advertised as one of the most capable 4x4 vehicles in the market – so hoping in the near future to have something technical (other than a mechanic’s opinion that a Rubicon cannot handle off road experiences) to share with everyone – this also means that again I will not be able to have Hank on the next JOC event on the Salisbury plain (and this one is on my backyard!)

More to come!

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

• Platinum Member

Jetwashing a radiator? Numpties!

For some, their domestic hose pipe pressure can be too much if the blast is concentrated. You don't need pressure, just the flow of water and leaving it a while to give it time to soak in -  Then rinse and repeat. If you have driven through clay soils that form a clay slurry, that's a different problem. The slurry clay can harden from the engine bay heat so much that it becomes like pottery before kiln firing. I have removed my radiator and soaked it overnight fully submerged and still had to pick off hardened clay blobs with a blunt pencil. Beware of Barton-le-clay in Bedfordshire.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, V said:

Jetwashing a radiator? Numpties!

For some, their domestic hose pipe pressure can be too much if the blast is concentrated. You don't need pressure, just the flow of water and leaving it a while to give it time to soak in -  Then rinse and repeat. If you have driven through clay soils that form a clay slurry, that's a different problem. The slurry clay can harden from the engine bay heat so much that it becomes like pottery before kiln firing. I have removed my radiator and soaked it overnight fully submerged and still had to pick off hardened clay blobs with a blunt pencil. Beware of Barton-le-clay in Bedfordshire.

They did remove the radiator on that second occasion - so I guess they did it right second time… Radiators get a good gentle wash for a long time every time they are out now…

At least I will have a loan car until they confirm if the repair is warranty or not… I have expressed to Jeep CS as the issues is the same as in October and they didn’t repair anything (just her washed the engine bay) that I am not expecting issues…just hope they look at the car properly as there are a few horror stories of engine issues causing these alerts!

• Sad 1