Hello from Lincolnshire.

Oldbag

• Platinum Member

I don't currently own a Jeep but but I did have a G. Cherokee (2.7crd) for about 5 years, I sold it 3 years ago and am now running a Nissan Elgrand NE51.

I am however very interested in purchasing a Commander 3.0 crd and I need to do my research.   I want one to pull my caravan and as a general purpose every day motor.  Being retired my mileage will be very low so fuel economy is not an issue.

Things were looking really good until I read about the comment made by the late head of Chrysler, Sergio Marchionne who considered the Commander to be 'unfit for human consumption' and he wondered why anybody would want to buy one.  That could explain the relatively short production run.

Looking for advice from current and past owners please.

• Platinum Member
24 minutes ago, Oldbag said:

I don't currently own a Jeep but but I did have a G. Cherokee (2.7crd) for about 5 years, I sold it 3 years ago and am now running a Nissan Elgrand NE51.

I am however very interested in purchasing a Commander 3.0 crd and I need to do my research.   I want one to pull my caravan and as a general purpose every day motor.  Being retired my mileage will be very low so fuel economy is not an issue.

Things were looking really good until I read about the comment made by the late head of Chrysler, Sergio Marchionne who considered the Commander to be 'unfit for human consumption' and he wondered why anybody would want to buy one.  That could explain the relatively short production run.

Looking for advice from current and past owners please.

Hi there

I've never owned a Commander, so can't help.  But @Piotr Maslak recently joined the club and he is a Commander driver so may be able to help.  Did Marchionne expand on that comment as to why he considered the Commander so bad?

• Platinum Member

Commander is a great Jeep, I don’t own one but I know someone who does. I would buy one, especially the V8, if I didn’t already have too many Jeeps……..and after I’d bought an XJ…….

If Sergio Marchionne thinks they are unfit for human consumption he should probably try eating something else 🤨

• Platinum Member

There is also the Jeep Cherokee KK from 2008 - 2013 which I have always thought it looks like a mini Commander

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Platinum Member

Hi, Old Bag, welcome aboard from a grumpy old git !!!  LOL

I test drove a Commander for the day and thought it was gr8. It was just too big for what I wanted so I had a 3.0 GC instead which I still have as well as my YJ.

Jim's idea is interesting too. I had a KJ Cherokee before I had the GC . It was an excellent all rounder.   I think I'm right in saying that the KK is an upgraded larger version of the KJ. I think its tow capacity is high.

At the end of the day I have had I have had a number of Jeeps both new and used. Jeep is the most reliable, comfortable and rust free brand I have owned. Many models are excellent tow vehicles and you are unlikely to go far wrong whichever model you choose. I like one owner, low mileage cars with full service history if that helps. If you are inexperienced with car inspecting get someone who is, do not assume a new MOT means its ok!  Hope this helps. 

Welcome 👍

Commanders and WK’s (Same platform) are great trucks. Reliable motor and gearbox and other stuff is cheap to replace (suspension etc) if needed. I miss my WK great Jeep.

I’m always on the look out for a well priced commander just to have for instances where I need 7 seats , but they hold their money really well so not one in the collection yet!

• Platinum Member

Thanks for all the comments folks,  they support my thinking that the Commander is a solid motor and reliable despite what the former CEO had to say about them.  I loved my GC and I love driving my Nissan but I just fancy a big old Commander.  I know it will be an indulgence on my part but I think they are beautiful motors in an ugly brute kind of way. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
28 minutes ago, Oldbag said:

Thanks for all the comments folks,  they support my thinking that the Commander is a solid motor and reliable despite what the former CEO had to say about them.  I loved my GC and I love driving my Nissan but I just fancy a big old Commander.  I know it will be an indulgence on my part but I think they are beautiful motors in an ugly brute kind of way. 

Go for it.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
Piotr Maslak

Hi. Yes I have Commander now approx 6 months. TBF it's great car. It's the same as Grand Cherokee WK1 but in different body. 3.0crd in them it's Mercedes engine OM642. 215bhp is good for this car. Typical problems it's oil cooler leak. It's not expensive to replace but to do this you need take out engine what increase costs. But this not happened always. MPG... its 20 when I care... when not care... no limits 😉 But its worth every penny what you spend. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I help if I can.

IMG_20220104_191409_369.jpg

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
Piotr Maslak

I not pull caravan... however I pull something much worst in deep mud and go very well.🙃🙃🙃

20211128_135245.jpg

• Haha 1