Hi and help please

Hearntd

• Platinum Member

Evening all,

I'm sure I'd already posted on here and said Hi etc. but for some reason I can only post in this section? So Hi everyone I've been on a couple of the days out and loved them 🙂 can't wait for more. I have a Mojito JL Rubicon.

What I'm after some help with (and will/would post in the correct section if I could) is the wonderful issue of rust on the doors and the fact that Jeep have now decided that they will not cover it under warranty despite being told that it will be covered when it went in.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

Hi and I will take a look at your account as to why you cannot post in other areas. I will drop you an email.
I will move your post the the General Jeep chat section

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, Hearntd said:

Evening all,

I'm sure I'd already posted on here and said Hi etc. but for some reason I can only post in this section? So Hi everyone I've been on a couple of the days out and loved them 🙂 can't wait for more. I have a Mojito JL Rubicon.

What I'm after some help with (and will/would post in the correct section if I could) is the wonderful issue of rust on the doors and the fact that Jeep have now decided that they will not cover it under warranty despite being told that it will be covered when it went in.

Rust on a 2018, that doesn’t sound good.  I had it in my head that body panels were warrantied for longer than 3 years for many new cars.

• Platinum Member

Is it rusting of the doors or rust and or rust stains from the door hinges? The external door hinges on Wranglers benefit from a few drops of oil after the Jeep has been washed or after a spell of rain.

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, Hearntd said:

Evening all,

The hinges?

• Platinum Member

when i removed my door hinges, i was amazed to find the door skins were bare metal, no primer or anything to protect the metal, when i changed my jeep from silver to red, i had them treated and painted.  

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

If it is the area around the JL hinges, the Grand Cherokees WK2 bonnets suffer the same well known issue where two metals (Alu and steel) come together and corrosion forms as the metals were not properly prepped / sealed / painted.

Raise a file case with Jeep Care. As long as you are still within your corrosion warranty I would think that it would be covered.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
23 minutes ago, Volant165 said:

If it is the area around the JL hinges, the Grand Cherokees WK2 bonnets suffer the same well known issue where two metals (Alu and steel) come together and corrosion forms as the metals were not properly prepped / sealed / painted.

Raise a file case with Jeep Care. As long as you are still within your corrosion warranty I would think that it would be covered.

I never the same on my driver door… was going to wait a bit to have it sorted since the last time I mentioned stuff to the dealership - but I guess i cannot wait as issues seem to happen all the time 😞

• Platinum Member
5 hours ago, frosty said:

when i removed my door hinges, i was amazed to find the door skins were bare metal, no primer or anything to protect the metal, when i changed my jeep from silver to red, i had them treated and painted.  

Yeah they just painted over the lot to save time I guess.

Found this out on my 2007 built JKU from a US forum a year or so after purchase in 2009 and had posted pictures of the doors with the aluminium  hinges removed, showing some corrosion.

Printed this out and took it to the dealers and after checking with Jeep I guess, they arranged a visit to the body shop where they replaced all the hinges (painted) with rubbery material between hinge and door under warranty.

Did mention the two on the hood, but was told I was pushing my luck 🙂

• Platinum Member

Hi All,

Sorry been crazy at work so not been on for a few days, So I've been kicking the Jeep garage's arse about the rubbish service from them and the fact that they told me it would be under warranty then now telling me that the paint warranty is only 2 years. well as you can see by the pictures the pant is great its the rust underneath that's the issue, they even told me in December the door(s) were in and they were just waiting for the hinges!. I have also raised a case with Jeep themselves about this so we will see how that goes.

As mentioned by a few of you this is down to the Alu and Steel touching with nothing not even prima in between , it turns out that Jeep are well aware of this and have been since November 2018 as per the 2 attached documents and there is also a law suite happening in America about it. There are loads of people with this issue and it doesn't take much looking to find people having the issues with Jeep etc.

I would suggest to anyone that does have a JL to keep a close eye on their doors etc. and as soon as you seen anything kick up a fuss with the dealer, I have looked and all 4 doors are now shoeing signs of the rust coming through and the hinge that I have attached pictures of is much worse now (they were taken last August)....

I'll keep people posted on how I get on, but if anyone has any other suggestions/people to contact feel free to shout out, I'm defiantly not going quietly on this one and have made it very clear that I will not be paying for the repairs!!!

PXL_20210827_135216281.MP.jpg

PXL_20210827_135225890.MP.jpg

MC-10183098-9999.pdf 36282.pdf class-action-lawsuit-deems-jeep-wrangler-corrosion-warranty-a-sham-176042.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• Platinum Member

That looks like poor engineering by somebody.  Either that or the design required painting the parts dissassembled and somebody then came up with a cost saving of assembling and then painting, without considering the consequences.  However it happened, that was a problem waiting to happen and no way customers should be picking up the cost of the repair.

The only thing I find a bit curious is that my brief reading about galvanic corrosion suggests the aluminium should corrode not the steel.

• Platinum Member

Aluminium expands and contracts at a greater rate to steel. A protective paint finish would have to be able to deal with that movement to prevent oxygen from reaching the surface of the metals. I suspect that it couldn't. The paint adhesion probably failed at the highest stress points of the finish between the two components which then led to oxidation.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, V said:

Aluminium expands and contracts at a greater rate to steel. A protective paint finish would have to be able to deal with that movement to prevent oxygen from reaching the surface of the metals. I suspect that it couldn't. The paint adhesion probably failed at the highest stress points of the finish between the two components which then led to oxidation.

Still not sure why the steel has corroded and not the alumimium hinge.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, UKTJ said:

Still not sure why the steel has corroded and not the alumimium hinge.

I think the JL door panels are ALU? 

• Platinum Member
33 minutes ago, Volant165 said:

I think the JL door panels are ALU? 

Ah OK, I had picked up on @BLUE STAR's reference to aluminium hinges and @Hearntd's reference to a known issue with aluminium and steel touching.

• Platinum Member

I must admit I found it odd that the aluminium corroded and not the steel hinges, however I have found the below page that goes on a bit, but the one sentence of note was "The most common examples of galvanic corrosion of aluminum alloys are when they are joined to steel or copper and exposed to a wet saline environment."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pfonline.com/amp/articles/fixing-corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and-steel

I think the long and short of it is that Jeep have created the problem by joining 2 metals that will in fact corrode if there is no form of barrier between them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1