...finally gotten off the pot and ordered new springs!

UKTJ

• Platinum Member

Having provaricated for far too long I finally order new Old Man Emu springs.  The rears were in stock at 4x4Works, but they need to get the fronts from ARB somewhere in Europe, so it sounds like it will be ablou three weeks until I get them.  Costwise 4x4Works were almost £50 cheaper than buying from Jeepey and were very helpful on the phone when I called them with a question.

• Platinum Member

That's great news. Are you doing the work yourself? If so, use coil spring compressors with widely spread fingers that are big enough for the coil wire. Compressing the springs can be dangerous. If it's your first time doing coil springs, learn as much as you can about the process before attempting it.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

When using coil spring compressors, I have always used ratchet straps, strong ones, or other means of holding springs, even rope, in case compressors slip. As V says, a sudden loose spring can lead to loss of teeth, jaw bone and worse!  

When changing/uprating springs on my KJ I found that little or no compression required as there was sufficient travel in suspension to allow the swap on the rear. Front struts did require a bit of compressing. 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

I have new disconnects, an adjustable track bar and beefed up steering to fit at the same time, so I am hoping I can drop the front axle enough to avoid spring compressors at that end.  Not so sure about the back though, so your advice very welcome.

• Platinum Member

Hi UKTJ,

OME eh, You won't be disappointed mine are gr8. 

I assume you are having new shocks too. Unless you have existing new ones that match the springs you will benefit from the correct ones. In my view shocks are one of the mistreated car parts they are often used way beyond their designed life, yet change handling more than anything else.

One tip , the yellow paint on the OME  shocks is a bit feeble (prob ok in Oz but not here)!  Give them a few extra coats of clear laquer or dinitrol etc to beef it up or they will start rusting earlier than they should! (See other posts)

I strongly support Jerry and V's warnings and advice  about springs. My advice is, if you have no experience of this find someone to help who does or ask them to change the coils for you. It sounds easy but there are a number of errors one can make to screw this job up!

I  do my own but its not worth the real risk of serious injury or damage using DIY kit to save  beans. I did my GC a couple of years ago and was only charged £20 for the front struts (particularly dodgy) by a friendly local workshop.

If you go for DIY and feel scared that's good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Member

Having watched a few installations on YouTube I am hopeful I can get the springs in without the need for compressors, as I will be doing a fair amount of disassembly.  Fingers crossed.

• Platinum Member

You won't need a spring compressor if you can get the Jeep high enough off the ground to let the axles drop. Getting the stock ones out is easy in a driveway, getting longer springs in can be a bit harder. I'm guessing new 2" lift springs will be around 4" longer than stock springs uncompressed. Hopefully the delay in the parts arriving will coincide with milder weather.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
21 minutes ago, V said:

You won't need a spring compressor if you can get the Jeep high enough off the ground to let the axles drop. Getting the stock ones out is easy in a driveway, getting longer springs in can be a bit harder. I'm guessing new 2" lift springs will be around 4" longer than stock springs uncompressed. Hopefully the delay in the parts arriving will coincide with milder weather.

According to the info I have seen elsewhere online the OME heavy duty front 2" spring (part number 2933) is 2.5" longer than the stock front spring.

• Platinum Member

Agree with all .

I'm not surprised the new springs are 2.5". Although mine are leaf springs quoted as 2" lift they were nearly 3" laid down but of course the weight compresses them to the normal ride height.

• Like 1

• Platinum Member
42 minutes ago, digger said:

Agree with all .

I'm not surprised the new springs are 2.5". Although mine are leaf springs quoted as 2" lift they were nearly 3" laid down but of course the weight compresses them to the normal ride height.

I don’t know anything about leaf springs, but for the coil springs there are a wide range of free lengths (ie uncompressed off the Jeep) and spring rates available.  One of the benefits of OME is that they offer a number of different options both in terms of free length and spring rate, but there is even further choice if you look at other makes.  The important thing for anyone doing a lift is to understand the consequence of the free length / spring rate they go for.

The other tip I would have for anyone starting to look at a lift is to recognise that when trying to predict what will happen when they change their springs they need to be considering sprung weight, not total weight.

• Platinum Member

I fitted OME springs and shocks all round. On my second set - in 12 years - not bad, 2nd set fitted in 2018.

Spoke with supplier who was very helpful. Achieved a 1.5/2 inch lift with new springs. If winch fitted, you'll need uprated springs to cope with extra weight. Any more than a 2 inch lift on IFS may need some additional surgery! 

Springs will sag over time, but one of mine broke before then! Bloody pot holes, oh and thrashing round Whiteclff Quarry! They did do 40k miles though. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Member
2 hours ago, jerryg said:

I fitted OME springs and shocks all round. On my second set - in 12 years - not bad, 2nd set fitted in 2018.

Spoke with supplier who was very helpful. Achieved a 1.5/2 inch lift with new springs. If winch fitted, you'll need uprated springs to cope with extra weight. Any more than a 2 inch lift on IFS may need some additional surgery! 

Springs will sag over time, but one of mine broke before then! Bloody pot holes, oh and thrashing round Whiteclff Quarry! They did do 40k miles though. 

Yes, as many others installing OME springs in a TJ I have, I specified the heavier duty springs in the front (to account for the extra weight of the winch plate and winch) with the lighter duty ones in the rear.

It appears you can’t be certain around the impact of changing the angle of the rear driveshaft, some have no issue with a 2 1/2” lift, others struggle at 2”.  I have put a 1” engine mount lift in which should help compensate.  If I get vibrations I will have to look at a slip yoke eliminator and DC driveshaft as I really want to avoid dropping the transmission skid.